My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Getting raised

dfreybur

Premium Member
These terms - EA jewel & FC jewels are not something used in PA. Is this something you can elaborate on in this forum or is it something to discuss only in a tyled environment?

With the S&C each degree has them in specific positions for reasons that are explained at the altar. You could list the S&C in that position as the jewel but it would require significant magnification to tell them apart. We could consider that a usage of the word hidden if we like. It's part of why EAs and FCs aren't supposed to wear and S&C in many jurisdictions.

I mean the symbol that an EA would wear on his ring. Or if sideliners wore collars and jewels the symbol that would be on the collar. For the EA I mean the one that's described in all of the versions of the lecture that I've learned. I have seen the EA symbol on lapel pins handed out at first degrees. That's the one I'll do three meanings for it. I don't see any of the three in the article below, probably because my points start with how we stand during the tiled obligation.

https://www.masonic-lodge-of-education.com/point-within-a-circle.html

The precious jewels of an FC aren't conducive to images on rings. Neither are the wages. How fun is it that there are two lists of three for the FC.

CLewey44

I think the EA and FC lapels would be more popular if more time was spent between degrees. Being an FC should be a big deal but we glaze over it typically. You've put in some work and seen some stuff by that point.

Keith C

Thanks dfreybur.

We do not refer to the S&C pins worn by brothers as jewels here in PA. The only jewels are those of the officers of the Lodge or Grand Lodge which are pendant on the collars and the PM's jewel and possibly the pin given to Lewises may be called a jewel, I can't recall at the moment. The rest are just "pins".

Bloke

Premium Member
Absolutely-
It’s great to see this initiative starting, I was close to calling off many, many times early on until I found my way into areas of the craft not represented strongly in my local lodges.
Interesting, what area did you find David ?

David612

Interesting, what area did you find David ?
The wider world of esoteric study generally- anything deeper than the surface of the ritual is not known to me in my area, that said it may be represented in a side order however given membership is drawn from the same pool I can’t imagine a huge variance.

Bloke

Premium Member
The wider world of esoteric study generally- anything deeper than the surface of the ritual is not known to me in my area, that said it may be represented in a side order however given membership is drawn from the same pool I can’t imagine a huge variance.
*shrugs* - I never get that.. this idea that "esoteric" study is something other than the Craft - even using the word "Craft" is esoteric.. you **have** to do more than scratch the surface of the Craft in order to understand the first three Degrees of Freemasonry - well done and glad you found your way into that study, sounds like you actually try to make a Daily Advancement..

dfreybur

Premium Member

Freemasonry defines esoteric as the secret part. As such every degree practice at lodge is esoteric.

If you mean it the way it gets used outside of lodge, you never will find that in any order. The spiritual stuff is always individual.

David612

Freemasonry defines esoteric as the secret part. As such every degree practice at lodge is esoteric.

If you mean it the way it gets used outside of lodge, you never will find that in any order. The spiritual stuff is always individual.
The meanings of the degrees are not explored, they are performed almost verbatim and the exploration of the degree is left to the candidate to explore the subject matter.

Bloke

Premium Member
The meanings of the degrees are not explored, they are performed almost verbatim and the exploration of the degree is left to the candidate to explore the subject matter.
Well.. even in a lodge which talks esotericism to the cows come home, it is still an individual path.. but it would be nice if there were more signposts on it :)

David612

Well.. even in a lodge which talks esotericism to the cows come home, it is still an individual path.. but it would be nice if there were more signposts on it :)
Oh absolutely, It would be nice if discussion happened and was limited to useful, masonically relevant information.