My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Grand Lodge of Texas Codebook

Should the Grand Lodge of Texas publish an "Official" Codebook?

• Yes

Votes: 98 53.3%
  • No

Votes: 69 37.5%
  • Undecided

Votes: 17 9.2%

• Total voters

bgs942

Premium Member
The world has currently and always has had short cut takers. Publishing an official copy of a code book that has it's roots around the turn of the 20th Century will have little change on that. We are in more of an information age than ever before and anyone, Brother or not, can see just about any Ritual online. For me it boils down to personal choice and conviction. I came in 2008 and could have "googled" my way and preloaded myself to all three degrees but chose not to do so because of the reverence and respect I have for Masonry, and felt I would cheat myself and set a poor example for my children.

MikeMay

Premium Member
In talking with some brothers from other states, some other GL's have authorized the "little" books for decades...I was shown one that was printed back in the 20's. Do I think they should be published outside of the GL? No. I think if they are going to be around it should be printed and approved from and by the GL. I don't have a problem with us "older" men having one to help reinforce the information once in a while...after all, we live in a very "information" heavy world and remembering our memory work for the three degrees isn't always easy to do...especially for men working in job fields where information is constantly changing...

I do however feel very strongly that it should not be used by candidates at all. The memory work is part of the beauty of Freemasonry and the relationship of the instructive mouth to the attentive ear shouldn't be changed.

Benjamin Baxter

Premium Member
When I first started the ea work, I really wanted one. But as time is progressing I am realizing that I do not need one yet. Maybe one day when my memory starts to fade or something like that, but I'm 28 and hopefully I have a while before that starts. But as much as the new member may want one, they will realize the same, I imagine.

Hippie19950

Premium Member
As I recall, there was a Resolution this past Grand Communication concerning the Cypher Book, and the GLoTx producing and selling it exclusively. It was voted down, or disqualified. I don't see the GL really searching for profitable things to do, except to keep expecting the Lodges to send more money, and the Brethren to keep sending bigger donations. We really need some of that in our little Lodge, but we are looking at and doing things to earn it on our own. If we could produce and sell the book(s), we would gladly do it!!

MikeMay

Premium Member
Regarding Cypher/Code books....no matter who makes them, I have discovered they need to be water proof.

I'll leave it at the failure of the spousal unit to ask if a certain pair of shorts needed to be washed and the failure of said spousal unit to check the pockets...and my failure to inform said spousal unit about any shorts/pants draped on the end of the bed not to be touched! Of course, to top that off the same shorts spent the night in the washing machine to thoroughly soak said cypher book.

Plustax

It's a pretty much well known fact that many people have purchased the code book that is available in stores (and we can't do anything about that) and have used it to practice and learn from it (can't do anything about that either). It's also pretty easy to determine who has done that when the times comes for a proficiency. Right or Wrong, should or shouldn't be........ we know that it is happening and can not be stopped (at least that I'm aware of). So.... in saying that why not set the code book right (as it does lack) and get that money that is being spent now for something that is not completely correct and instead of not getting ANYof that money, get the money and provide it to the GLoTx.? Just MHO...

Jacob Johnson

I'm with you on that one, plustax. If the GL could be making money off of this, perhaps our per capitas could decrease, or AT LEAST we'd have one more avenue of revenue working for us. With all the belt-tightening that's been going on, you'd think that as a state we'd want anything that might bring in more cash to maintain our GL operations.

jwhoff

Premium Member
It's a pretty much well known fact that many people have purchased the code book that is available in stores (and we can't do anything about that) and have used it to practice and learn from it (can't do anything about that either). It's also pretty easy to determine who has done that when the times comes for a proficiency. Right or Wrong, should or shouldn't be........ we know that it is happening and can not be stopped (at least that I'm aware of). So.... in saying that why not set the code book right (as it does lack) and get that money that is being spent now for something that is not completely correct and instead of not getting ANYof that money, get the money and provide it to the GLoTx.? Just MHO...

Was it the GL of Oklahoma who reported $600K from the sale of official code books a few years back at Grand Lodge? I'd be for limited use among MMs for study and certification purposes. Not for teaching and sharing with EAs and FCs. Rules of usage would need to be established.

Plustax

Again, it's just that it feels as though there are many ways of bringing in additional income for our GLoT and local lodges, but we run in to "road blocks" which prevent us from doing so. I understand that there are laws put in to place and certainly do not suggest doing anything against State or Federal laws. I also believe that we have our own "internal" rules/laws/regulations which might be holding us back from making more money. I only ask to find additional ways of making money so that we can sustain our local lodges as well as the GLoT. As I mentioned, our dues are increasing, our economy is not getting better, many masons are going in to retirement and have a "fixed" income, yet more money is needed to sustain what we have. I think it would be great if someone could start a BLOG on ideas of bringing in more money to a local lodge. Also, if someone (in the know) could give us ideas on what can be done (or checked in to) so that "limits" could be raised on how many Fund Raiser or Raffles or whatever there is to increase our funds, so we could increase our donations to the GLoT as well as donations to our local charities.

MikeMay

Premium Member
our dues are increasing, our economy is not getting better, many masons are going in to retirement and have a "fixed" income, yet more money is needed to sustain what we have.

That's a good point...the average age of our members (my lodge) is over 70. While we have younger members, 40's and below, we have an aging membership. That brings up a couple of issues such as experience and light that is lost when they pass, but it also brings up that coming time when they won't be able to contribute possibly because of fixed incomes due to retirement...and we all know that retirement funds have been decimated over the past 3 years and the economy is stubbornly not recovering as we would all like it too....

I know we can't "recruit" but we have to be cognizant of the fact that the ages of our brethren are increasing since we haven't found the fountain of youth yet....and that will have an effect over time. I don't know if the GLoT selling the cypher book is the correct idea from a financial point of view but it seems that it should be at least looked into...

Eric Epperson

I became a Mason in Michigan and I was given a book to study. I never had the chance to study with another Mason. I did everything by myself. After reading these post I wish I was never given the book because I did miss out on the one on one time with other brothers.

Beathard

Premium Member
Eric Epperson said:
After reading these post I wish I was never given the book because I did miss out on the one on one time with other brothers.

BINGO! That is why candidates should never see one. Once one finishes the masters work it is a great memory tool.

Beathard

Premium Member
In many English lodges 1 brother, the junior past master, has a code book and sits to the left of the WM. This brother is the only person allowed to prompt. I did not think this was bad. It was a lot better than everyone yelling out prompts.

Benton

Premium Member
York Rite Stated Meeting's have convinced me that code/ritual books shouldn't be used in a lodge setting.

Yeah, I've only made one Chapter/Council meeting (on the same night here) so far, but frankly, it felt like a complete waste of time. Not only was everyone dependent on the book, but not everyone had one, so there was a *lot* of book sharing going on, which slowed things down in a big way. Might as well have not met, as there really wasn't any business to discuss that night anyway.

I love all my companions, but Chapter and Council get skirted over for Commandery way too much.

And Beathard, I think I agree, only one person ought to prompt, and it should be prompting, not reading out parts for brothers who don't know them.

Hndrx

Premium Member
I can tell you that EVERY "mouth to ear" person has their own version of the "correct" version of things. I worked with a number of Masons in the memory work for all three degrees and every one of them was different from the other one. An official code book is very much needed. When, where, and by whom it is used are ENTIRELY different questions.

Beathard

Premium Member
The Grand Lodge has seen the forums and the certificate exams as the way to keep the work the same. I don't believe that it works as well has hoped, but it has worked pretty well for many decades. I do think that a correct book is needed, but should be well regulated in it use.

Bill Lins

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
I can tell you that EVERY "mouth to ear" person has their own version of the "correct" version of things. I worked with a number of Masons in the memory work for all three degrees and every one of them was different from the other one

See answer in next post.

Bill Lins

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
The Grand Lodge has seen the forums and the certificate exams as the way to keep the work the same. I don't believe that it works as well has hoped, but it has worked pretty well for many decades.

Y'all are both correct. The forum & exam system would work much better if more Brethren would attend.