My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Having your light taken

Brother_Steve

Premium Member
I know of a brother who was healed over into Prince Hall from international he has been a MM for at least 3 yrs under PHA and every time I see the brother he is Masonic from head to toe he has been warned several times by the craft not to ware anything Masonic until he can defend it he was tried by a brother and could not answer the question asked therefor his jacket was taken ... Long story short the brother is upset about his things being taken from him but what do you do when you have warned a brother about this issue time after time again he feels as if he is being picked on I think he is being tought a valuable lesson in knowing how to protect his emblems ijs ....what do the brothers here think on this subject..
A Mason represents the Craft when he publicly displays the emblem of a Master Mason. It is almost like accepting the job of being one of the many the voices of the Fraternity when out in the public's eye as an individual.

You are going to be approached and asked questions by non masons. You best be able to answer those questions accurately otherwise you should not make yourself visible. Remember the name given to the Entered Apprentice.

Here is my take on it. If the questions are regarding his official proficiencies then he should not be a Master Mason until such time that he can prove it via examination in open lodge.

If these are chatch-a-kism questions out of a book not sponsored by the MWPHGL then shame on his Brethren for belittling him.

Bro. David F. Hill

David F. Hill
Premium Member
There are some gun-ho brothers (i use this lightly) that play this game. I have continuously stated on many sites that I do not play this game. It is people like them that turn people away from the craft.

Levelhead

Premium Member
Well i mean a MM should be able to answer at the least any of his chetachism answers within the range of his jurisdiction unless hes like 90 and got raised 50 years ago.

Bro. David F. Hill

David F. Hill
Premium Member
Not on the street and not from that little book they use. I could always pull out my book "Masonry Defined" and catch many of those same people. This is what should be going on in study hall.

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor
Well i mean a MM should be able to answer at the least any of his chetachism answers within the range of his jurisdiction unless hes like 90 and got raised 50 years ago.
I didn't view it as being the ability to answer a question, but one brother punishing another for that perceived deficiency. It smacks more of college fraternity hazing than of a brotherhood who venerates the great architect who freely gave his life rather than betray the trust reposed in him.

Warrior1256

Site Benefactor
On the street lol. Id laugh at someone trying to challenge me on the street. I mean get a life!
Exactly right. The "challenge" in public is bad enough but if I don't answer to the challenger's satisfaction or refuse to participate he is going to confiscate my personal property? I don't think so.

Warrior1256

Site Benefactor
I just dont see this happening in florida at all. Everyone is packing heat here. And that pretty much is a robery!
So right! In any southern state where gun rights are a big deal this sort of thing could be dangerous. As you say, taking someone's personal property is actually a crime.

RyanC

So right! In any southern state where gun rights are a big deal this sort of thing could be dangerous. As you say, taking someone's personal property is actually a crime.
Yes it is a crime and someone could get hurt, in the end what is the person trying to prove. I'm smarter than you. I guess in the end the are not meeting on the level or parting by the square.

Last edited:

Dontrell Stroman

Premium Member
I have seen multiple threads about taking brothers "Light/emblems" First, I think it is unmasonic and a crime. After being raised I brought the question up about wearing Masonic emblems. Brothers in my lodge advised me that since I was a master mason now thatvi could, but that I shouldw be proficient in my degree work in case a brother challenged me. I then asked challenged me on what , they then states that there is an unofficial book with q&a about how to defend your emblem. I have only seen this book once, they have it in our lodge. I have never had a brother challenge me rather I have been asked a question that any worthy master mason would know. To be honest if a brother started trying to challenge me, I would probably tell the brother nice meeting you and walk away.

acjohnson53

I totally agree with u Bruh Traveling man91, I figure if a brother wants to challenge me from whence I came he ought to Pay some of dues cards I got and then challenge on Bruh.....

MaineMason

It does not occur to me to say anything to a brother let alone take his jacket. At my two lodges, and in the appendent bodies I belong to, we are used to donating jackets, not taking them away. That being said, in my GL jurisdiction it is customary for only MMs to wear Masonic pins, rings, etc. While it is technically improper to wear Scottish or York Rite pins or pocket jewels in Blue Lodge it is seen sometimes. Here, it is up to the Master to decide on that stuff. We recently had officer installation at my affiliate lodge where I am an officer and York and Scottish rite stuff was all over the brethren in the form of lapel pins, rings, and pocket jewels.

mrpierce17

KOP Council director / Lodge instructor
Premium Member
Do you feel they were discriminating this brother because he was international?
Nope after further investigation and speaking with him it was a member from his original lodge who was also healed into PHA and went back international also the jacket had the international lodge name on it so he no longer cares for it I must say he is now doing well in his travels I posted that a little prematurely without getting all the details my apologies for the confusion I think this boils down to the jacket was from a lodge and affiliation he was no longer a part of and should have been left home in the closet