My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How often did you study when coming through the degrees?

Benjamin Baxter

Premium Member
I am beginning my work for my Ea degree. I have decided that I need to study more often that the once weekly floor school. If my teacher/Mentor can accommodate me in this, I wish for two or three nights a week for study at first at least. What did you do coming though your degrees? Did only use the floor school or make extra arrangements to study more often. I may have to study one night at my lodge and one night in my hometown in order to get two at least.:001_huh:

Beathard

Premium Member
It is a night a some lodges that is dedicated to instruction. It is usually used to practice for upcoming degrees.

jhodgdon

I met with/talked on the phone with my coach about twice a week I think. And after some lodge meetings. I've never heard of floor school before that's interesting

David Duke

Premium Member
I like to work with a candidate 2-3 times a week for about an hour at a time. As was said earlier 15-20 minutes for "new" material the rest for review/relationship building.

Bro. Stewart P.M.

Lead Moderator Emeritus
Staff Member
As I recall when I was yet a student I studied at our regular Tuesday & Thursday floor school nights as well as in private with my instructor. To me the one on one time with my instructor at his home was the most productive for me because there were minimal distractions during my study. Each person is different. I am sure that you will have no difficulty obtaining help outside of the Lodge environment, if you do do not give up, try another instructor.

I posted the following response in another similar thread:

From a coach or mentor stand point I can offer some advice. First, make certain that the newly Brother understands the meaning of every phrase of the memory work. In order to do this you the instructor must be able to explain the meaning of every question and response. Do not offer yourself to be an instructor if you do not fully understand the lessons to which you are volunteering to teach, it is a waste of your time and his. Be careful to not concentrate on the speed of the lesson. I would much rather take 6 months, the full term of a year, or even longer to teach a Brother the meaning and beauty of the lessons, than teach them meaningless words and phrases. When the student understands what he is saying and why, the memory ability becomes much, much stronger.

One thing that I have learned to be key during instruction, especially the lessons of the EA... Utilize the Lodge room. Walk the Brother step by step through each part of the lesson. It is amazing what the mind can ingest when visual and physical aides are used. Think of it like this, when we are preparing or practicing to confer a degree, we generally do not do so from the comfort of the sideline during floor school; we actually walk through the degree. It is a major aide to the memory. In the case of "hand signals", yes they are great but worthless to one who can not see them but may be able to "see" if you do it my style.

Lastly, keep the time of your sessions down to approximately 15 to 30 minutes. The mind is limited on the amount of new data that it can ingest at one time, usually 15 minutes tops. It is okay to review for longer periods overall, but limit the new stuff and do it first. For example, 10-15 minutes of new lesson followed by 15 minutes of review (older and new material).

Of course all of this is my own opinion, you can do with it as you wish. Everyone has their own style, keep up the good work!

http://www.masonsoftexas.com/showthread.php?13055-Memorization-Best-Practices&p=54707#post54707

relapse98

We met about 3 times a week at either the lodge at 7:30am or at his house in his front room when I got off from work. I can't decide which I liked better. I know I am more comfortable sitting in my chair in the front room of the lodge building than anywhere else.
I would also repeat the work to myself while driving, in the shower and doing my walks. EA could fill up about a mile of walking going through it just once.

Beathard

Premium Member
First let me say that I was young and obsessive. With that in mind... I met with the lodge instructor Monday nights at the lodge. I met with my barber at 7am Monday through Friday. Sat in his barber chair until I had to go to work an hour later. Played dominoes at lunch with my top line signer doing the work for an hour. After work went to the Scottish Rite and worked with the secretary for an hour. That's 3 hours per day 5 days a week plus the lodge instruction on Monday nights. 2 weeks for EA. 1 week for FC and 1 week for MM. Asked the questions and gave the answers. Like I said I was obsessed.

Benjamin Baxter

Premium Member
Wow, that is very impressive, sounds like you were in great company. I wished I was surrounded like that with knowledgeable brethren.

Beathard

Premium Member
Some very good men were very active in Austin #12 20 years ago. They made me what I am today. Most are with the SGA of the Univ now. If they are listening, I would like to say thank you again.

Last edited by a moderator:

Benjamin Baxter

Premium Member
Good see that there are great people still helping young people grow.

I guess I am lost as to what "SGA on the Univ" means?:001_huh:

JTM

"Just in case"
Premium Member
There's nothing wrong with working with multiple teachers as well if you really want.

EA Charge:

At your leisure hours, that you may improve in Masonic knowledge, you are to converse with well informed brethren, who will always be as ready to give, as you will be to receive instruction.

Beathard

Premium Member
I like the iPhone application, but it keeps changing my spelling. Supreme Grand Architect on? the Universe. Where did it get on from?

Bro. Stewart P.M.

Lead Moderator Emeritus
Staff Member
I like the iPhone application, but it keeps changing my spelling. Supreme Grand Architect on? the Universe. Where did it get on from?

Beathard, I am not sure why the iPhone application is prompting the incorrect wordage.

Is it typical to both ask the questions and give the answers?

Hndrx, This greatly depends upon the Lodge here in Texas. The requirement in TX is that the candidate answer / return all answers correctly plus some additional requirements. However, the individual Lodge may add additional requirements. My home Lodge for example requires that the candidate learn and return both the questions and the answers.

I hope that helps answer your question.

Last edited:

Dave in Waco

Premium Member
I worked with my Instructor about twice a week, plus my best friend would quiz me here and there. The more you here it the better. I would also recommend attending as many EA degrees and floor schools as possible. These will give you so visual cues, plus it will make more sense.

Beathard

Premium Member
In the lodges I belong to it is customary for the candidate to only answer the questions. It was the hope of my mentor that I would become an instructor and get my certificate quickly. That is why he had me do the questions and answers. My son and I have set the end of August as the goal for his C certificate. In working towards that I have him doing the questions and answers as well. It was never a requirement for me or him, but more a step to a goal of getting a certificate quickly.

Bro. Stewart P.M.

Lead Moderator Emeritus
Staff Member
In the lodges I belong to it is customary for the candidate to only answer the questions. It was the hope of my mentor that I would become an instructor and get my certificate quickly. That is why he had me do the questions and answers. My son and I have set the end of August as the goal for his C certificate. In working towards that I have him doing the questions and answers as well. It was never a requirement for me or him, but more a step to a goal of getting a certificate quickly.

That will certainly help both of you. I picked up my first "C" Certificate two weeks after I returned my MM prof.