My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to choose the path after MM

acjohnson53

Bro Warrior with an app with the horse and a big ol looks like a guy with a hoodie makes me nervous, that left side suits u well....LOL

Bill Lins

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
when I refer to cabletow, it means how many Brothers was raised with you....
What I said. I don't know to whom you directed your question, but most GL's of state confer degrees individually, not in groups. Under GLoTX, group conferrals are prohibited- each candidate MUST get his own degree. We CAN do multiple degrees with one Lecture afterward, if desired.

Bloke

Premium Member
It is common for PHA Lodges to confer degrees upon groups of candidates rather than individually. Such a group is referred to as a "cabletow".

Cool. That's a new one for me.. Thanks Bill.

What I said. I don't know to whom you directed your question, but most GL's of state confer degrees individually, not in groups. Under GLoTX, group conferrals are prohibited- each candidate MUST get his own degree. We CAN do multiple degrees with one Lecture afterward, if desired.

We have really mixed views.

Constitutionally;

• We can initiate 4, but up to obligation are taken in 2s then they all come together
  • We can pass 4, as per above.
  • We can raise 2, each enters separately and come together after .... um.... being united with their former companions in toil.
I have mixed views myself... but when you've got lots of candidates 4 makes sense, otherwise your working degrees without time for other pursuits like education or socials.. I'm coming to the view 1 third is good, but am so flexible on this atm you could put me in a bucket.

We worked 2 quad initiations and a triple second recently. That's a year of work done individually without special meetings. That might sound okay, a year, but we have FCs who are long overdue for MM and it all has a knock on effect. We've sent 2 candidates to other lodges but we need to farm work to other lodges...if we had to work single be degrees, we'd need a daughter lodge just for the initiates.. still, as I keep telling myself, it's a wonderful problem to have...

Bill Lins

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
We worked 2 quad initiations and a triple second recently. That's a year of work done individually without special meetings.
We generally confer degrees @ called (I guess what you term "special") meetings. If we have more than one, we'll hold them consecutively on a Saturday.

Bloke

Premium Member
We generally confer degrees @ called (I guess what you term "special") meetings. If we have more than one, we'll hold them consecutively on a Saturday.
We can only work the one degree per day but with multiple candidates as per the above (4 EA or FC, 2 MM). Special meetings are limited to 3 or 4 per year and most lodges work in the evening on a weeknight.

Keith C

We do our degrees at "Extra Meetings" and we generally can have 2 extra meetings a month, that is not limited by rule, but schedule and logistics. Except for the Grand Lodge's "One Day Classes" once per year, every degree must be done individually, however we can do multiples of one degree in one night and then have the majority of the lectures shared. We limit it to two as any more and it is way too long of a night.

Most degrees in our lodge over the past year have had two candidates go through on the same evening. I was one of 2 exceptions, as the person who was scheduled to go through with me opted to do the Once Day class just before our EA was to take place. As a result, due to our lodge going Dark for July and August he ended up being raised a MM 2 months before me. But oddly enough, he hasn't been seen in the Lodge since the week before I was Entered a year ago next week!

MasterBulldawg

Now I'm just an EA hoping to get my second and perhaps eaven my third degree by the end of the year but I have been pondering how to continue the journey as a mason after the third degree.<br />We have the most common orders and rites available the York rite, Scottish rite, order of mark master mason etc. I have no knowledge on how to choose one or what is the path that I'm taking if I choose to go one way or another.<br /><br />How did you choose your journey of the extra degrees ?

As an old past master and a blue Lodge Homer, I would recommend getting involved with your blue Lodge first and doing work (i.e. degree work)and around your blue Lodge go through the chairs if you feel desire to get more involved.

Sent from my SM-G930P using My Freemasonry mobile app