My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I finally petitioned, have some questions though.

dfreybur

Premium Member
Went through degrees without any issues, it was great, extremely pleased.

Not sure how many degrees you mean, so -

EA - Welcome to the family once adopted Brother. FC - Welcome again to the family twice adopted Brother. MM - Welcome again, and again, to the family thrice adopted Brother.

jermy Bell

Marrying into a strong masonic family, at my 1st degree all I got was blindfolded and told good luck. I have been to several degree work at different lodges, and when preparing the candidate the JrD has already told the candidate everything to expect. Which I'm my opinion is wromg. If your going to be told before hand on what is going to happen, it takes the mystery and fun out of it. Trust me, you will better understand and appreciate going in blind.....

dfreybur

Premium Member
Marrying into a strong masonic family, at my 1st degree all I got was blindfolded and told good luck. I have been to several degree work at different lodges, and when preparing the candidate the JrD has already told the candidate everything to expect. Which I'm my opinion is wromg. If your going to be told before hand on what is going to happen, it takes the mystery and fun out of it. Trust me, you will better understand and appreciate going in blind.....

Some people have a strong need to know what will happen. They are our candidates and we take care of them in their current status.

Like you I preferred to put myself into the hands of friends and trust in them to take good care of me. Masons are supposed to be men of faith and for me that was one of my expressions of that faith.

dfreybur

Premium Member
In the US please do call or send a letter to introduce yourself, but never wait one second for any response. Many lodges are terrible abut responding to phone calls or emails. Responding in person is a very different situation. Go knock on that door and introduce yourself in person.

fmasonlog

I petitioned a lodge in GA, my Petition won’t be read until next Monday. I really wish there was material I could study although everyone on here says not to (Exam material). I know it’s going to be difficult with my job, but I’ve been wanting to join for a while now so I’m sure I’ll make it work.

Here's some questions that I currently have and forgot ask. I keep hearing it’s a lot of material to learn/memorize and I’m really on a tight schedule is there anything I can do to retain information quickly, any tips.

I’ve recently moved here from Texas, and my apartment isn’t what I’d like it to be right now. I still have some of my stuff in storage in Texas. My apartment doesn’t look like a home yet. Is that going to be something the IC will hold against me? Perhaps indicating financial issues (of which I have none)

I’m sure every lodge is different, I’m just trying to see if there’s a norm. Are the degrees given once a month, at stated meetings, or whenever the candidate is ready for the next? When you take the exams and pass it, is the next degree given that night or scheduled?

Is there anything I should know or can know about the ceremony.

Forgive my asking, I’m still new to all this and want to learn as much as I can. I’m know I’ll have some more question in the future, it’s nice to know I can get answers on here. Thanks in advance

I live in Georgia too... was going to college and working when I started. They'll workout a schedule with you.

Sent from my iPhone using My Freemasonry

Stanley Pines

I recently petitioned and have a question too. My wife and I live in an RV full time. (30 foot travel trailer) No kids. We got tired of paying rent for apartments and decided to take some cash and purchase one and then save money for a house later. Would this look bad during the home interview? I doubt we would be able to entertain an interview committee inside our RV. However we could always meet at the Community Building in our RV park. Thank you.

Last edited:

Warrior1256

Site Benefactor
I recently petitioned and have a question too. My wife and I live in an RV full time. No kids. We got tired of paying rent for apartments and decided to take some cash and purchase one and then save money for a house later. Would this look bad during the home interview? I doubt we would be able to entertain an interview committee inside our RV. However we could always meet at the Community Building in our RV park. Thank you.
I don't see a problem with this as long as you have sufficient income that lodge dues would not be a financial burden on your family.

Bloke

Premium Member
I recently petitioned and have a question too. My wife and I live in an RV full time. (30 foot travel trailer) No kids. We got tired of paying rent for apartments and decided to take some cash and purchase one and then save money for a house later. Would this look bad during the home interview? I doubt we would be able to entertain an interview committee inside our RV. However we could always meet at the Community Building in our RV park. Thank you.
As said by Brother JC, its totally up to the lodge.

My only question would be can you afford it ? Which I am sure you can. We actually have a well known Bro here who lives in a caravan park (very unusual here) and it's not issue. Your living arrangements sounds like a completely legitimate lifestyle choice to me and would I would have little interest in it. Where you meet them depends on where you want to , but is privacy an issue in the Community Building ? If so, I would meet them there as a landmark if your RV is hard to find or not well signed... These guys might be local or might have traveled some distance, so a (soft) drink and being able to offer a biscuit or something is always a good idea.

Tyler Atkinson

If you were established financially and are of good moral character, you should be fine! How does your wife feel about it if you don't mind me asking? It's taken almost a year for my wife to want to go to the family night dinner with me lol. I guess she really didn't understand or want to find out what it really was about.