My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Irregular Masonic Bodies Operating in Texas

Joe Ellis

https://UniqueFreemason.com
Premium Member
On this subject my feeling is "To each his own". If someone wants to belong to a clandestine co-mason lodge I have no problem with it, more power to them. But don't try to tell me that regular Masonry is wrong because it does not admit women. One of the main reasons that I joined was that it is a fraternity. If regular Masonry ever decided that it was going to admit women I would demit.

Each to their own. I 'demit' from UGLE. Enjoying freemasonry now more the ever

Rob_Eades

Well said Brother Joe, I'm not understanding what part of FRATERNITY these folks don't understand! If you are Initiated, Passes, and Raised in a Just and Legally Constituted Lodge, you can visit any Just and Legally Constituted Lodge in the World. BUT, if you're greeted at the door by Brother Lisa you are not in a Just and Legally Constituted Lodge, so please don't attempt to discuss Masonry with a Regular Freemason!

Joe Ellis

https://UniqueFreemason.com
Premium Member
Well said Brother Joe, I'm not understanding what part of FRATERNITY these folks don't understand! If you are Initiated, Passes, and Raised in a Just and Legally Constituted Lodge, you can visit any Just and Legally Constituted Lodge in the World. BUT, if you're greeted at the door by Brother Lisa you are not in a Just and Legally Constituted Lodge, so please don't attempt to discuss Masonry with a Regular Freemason!

Ripcord22A

Site Benefactor
Its funny that you made that particular post directed at him as he has demitted from his lodge under the UGLE and is now a member of an irregular lodge.....

Sent from my LG-H811 using My Freemasonry Pro mobile app

Bro. Landry

I am a new MM, having been raised last August, but I am still amazed when I hear of how many clandestine lodges there are out there.
I'm in the same shoes. My CT and just had this convo after I came across this post after recently joining. I am truly amazed! I guess that's one reason we were given a new name.....

Capricornguy

United Most Worshipful Scottish Rite Grand Lodge, Inc. (TX) - I ran into a "clandestine" mason from this lodge at work in our building.

I was an FC at the time at a lodge under the GLofTX. I didn't know any better and asked him what lodge he was in because he wore....pretty much everything you could think of that was masonic.

rings,sports necklaces, jackets, shoes, hates etc. You name it. At his lodge he was a 32nd degree scottish rite mason. Talked to me about the benefits of being a mason. Showed me his Dues card. Conversation came up. I forgot what exactly was said but it was something along the lines of "oh yeah my mentor mentioned the scottish rite down the street was the first here". He snapped back saying "No WE were the first." Conversation ended. Went to work on the craft with my mentor and he looked up the lodge.

Low and behold it was small lodge that wasn't in the book of lodges under GLofTX, and I was instructed not to talk to him about masonic stuff, also that doesn't mean he's not a "mason" just not a mason under the GLofTX.

What's interesting to me is that lodges like these exist, and I wonder why they do.

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor
United Most Worshipful Scottish Rite Grand Lodge, Inc. (TX) - I ran into a "clandestine" mason from this lodge at work in our building.

I was an FC at the time at a lodge under the GLofTX. I didn't know any better and asked him what lodge he was in because he wore....pretty much everything you could think of that was masonic.

rings,sports necklaces, jackets, shoes, hates etc. You name it. At his lodge he was a 32nd degree scottish rite mason. Talked to me about the benefits of being a mason. Showed me his Dues card. Conversation came up. I forgot what exactly was said but it was something along the lines of "oh yeah my mentor mentioned the scottish rite down the street was the first here". He snapped back saying "No WE were the first." Conversation ended. Went to work on the craft with my mentor and he looked up the lodge.

Low and behold it was small lodge that wasn't in the book of lodges under GLofTX, and I was instructed not to talk to him about masonic stuff, also that doesn't mean he's not a "mason" just not a mason under the GLofTX.

What's interesting to me is that lodges like these exist, and I wonder why they do.
In my experience, there are a variety of reasons:

They just didn't know any better.
Regular Freemasonry didn't offer the companionship and/or community service they were looking for.
They couldn't be admitted to regular Freemasonry in that jurisdiction because of felony convictions.
They have a family relationship in that obedience.
They want Masonic rank, which can often be bought.
They don't want to give up the masonic rank they have.
They got mad and left regular Freemasonry.
They got mad and left the prior irregular obedience.
They just don't care.