Lodge Officer Duties - Junior Deacon

Discussion in 'Officers of the Lodge' started by Blake Bowden, Nov 20, 2014.

1. Brother JC

Brother JC Vigilant Staff Member

Kids...

Bloke likes this.
  2. jermy Bell

jermy Bell Registered User

I never understood the Jr.deacon carries messages from the Sr warden to the Jr. Warden and else where around the lodge. What messages ? Same with the Sr. Deacon. Maybe 100 years ago. But why keep it in the duties ?

3. Bloke

Bloke Premium Member

Tradition !!! (and I am sure someone will talk about this arising from the Secret Societies Act and reporting on who was at the meeting.. but I am not fully convinced.. )

Adrian Martinez and Winter like this.
  4. Bloke

Bloke Premium Member

We take our "rod" (wand) holding and moving pretty seriously...

Gl forming up

Winter likes this.
  5. Keith C

Keith C Registered User

Well, firstly that the WM wants to open or close the Lodge. Secondarily it could be to remind a Warden of something they have forgotten if subtle hints don't work and you do not want to embarrass them.

6. JamestheJust

JamestheJust Registered User

In the early 18th century in London many lodges met in public houses and sat around long tables drinking and eating. With the SW at the opposite end unable to hear because of noise it is quite possible that a deacon had to carry a message or command

jermy Bell likes this.
  7. Brother JC

Brother JC Vigilant Staff Member

I have seen written messages passed from the WM to the SW when the Master does not want to shout it across the room. It was the SD’s duty to carry them.
    Still valid.

8. jermy Bell

jermy Bell Registered User

I'm here in southern Illinois and have traveled a bit, and have never seen it done. And my lodge is one of the larger ones built in the 1940's and you could park a semi perfectly between the east and west with room on both ends.

9. Matt Ross

Matt Ross Registered User

Interesting! The main role of SD here in the US is to conduct candidates. What is the main duty of the SD where you are then?

10. Scoops

Scoops Registered User

In Emulation, the JD conducts the candidate in the 1st degree and the very first section of the 2nd, whilst the SD conducts during most of the 2nd and all of the 3rd.

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

Bloke and Matt Ross like this.
  11. Keith C

Keith C Registered User

Perhaps in MOST of the US.

Here in PA the only active part the Deacons play in Degrees are manipulating their Wands in a single part of the EA Degree and the SD giving and taking the Working Tools to/from the WM during a portion of the final lecture. Other than that they just stand there holding their Wands!

12. Bloke

Bloke Premium Member

In terms of Degree Work
    1st - JD leads candidate
    2st - SD leads candidate
    3rd - JD & SD leads candidate

Generally;
    JD serves SW
    SD serves WM

Warrior1256 likes this.
  13. Warrior1256

Warrior1256 Site Benefactor