My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

One black ball?

Should one black ball be all it takes to reject a candidate?

• Yes

Votes: 59 40.7%
  • No

Votes: 86 59.3%

• Total voters

MaineMason

I can think of a number of situations where someone wrongs somebody else, and the victim is embarrassed that it happened. If you are a victim of a scam, physical or sexual assault. The person may have victimized someone you know, but that person doesn't want the information shared - unfortunately there can still be stigma associated with being a victim.
You may also know the person to be a complete a-hole, liar, or what have you, but you know the person through something you want to keep private. Maybe through group therapy, or AA, or a local Dungeon and Dragons club.

Ideally, one should be able to completely trust the WM, or any other Mason, to keep your secrets (per their obligation), but Masons are people, and people make mistakes. In addition, even if you trust the WM to keep the secret, you may be afraid of being judged by the WM. Being a Mason or a WM does not cure us of all our biases and prejudices. There are things about myself and experiences I've had that I might not share.
I know many Masons who are in AA. Just sayin'.

admarcus1

Excellent point sir.

If we had bigots in my lodge or in my chapter, or in the DeMolay Chapter for which I am a trained Dad Advisor, I would wouldn't be a Mason. I'm gay. I'm a line officer. No one gives a good damn. Not in my lodge. They know ME, that's all they care about. I could have been blackballed. I wasn't, especially since the PM (who was filling the SW chair at the time) and the WM knew me to be a good man. I would never discriminate against anyone for membership in a lodge unless it were against my oath and obligation.
Sounds like a lodge to be proud of.

admarcus1

I'd be able to keep that bigot out in the first place if my single black ball meant anything. :p

My experience is that bigots rarely wear their bigotry on their sleeves, especially as it becomes less and less socially acceptable. It's easy to recognize an Archie Bunker (and there I am dating myself), but characters like that are relics, though we occasionally see an exception on the news.

I think that in the end I would come down on the side of one black ball, though I think there are valid reasons to be concerned about it. I do think we need to be self critical and be on guard against our own ingrained prejudices, and I hope that as Masons, we are committed to doing that. We cannot work toward becoming perfect ashlars if we ignore the rough edges and imperfections, no matter how subtle.

Pete Ramboldt

I've seen the S/C ring on Carrol O'conners hand several times in the TV show "In the heat of the Night",
but never saw it while he played Archie Bunker. (Just an interesting thought)

Warrior1256

Site Benefactor
I've seen the S/C ring on Carrol O'conners hand several times in the TV show "In the heat of the Night",
but never saw it while he played Archie Bunker. (Just an interesting thought)
I read that O'Conner wore this ring as a prop after he became a sheriff on the show due to his belief that most southern sheriffs were Masons. I still support the one black ball rule as it is here in Kentucky.

Rifleman1776

I am still learning the (new to me) ways of Missouri Lodges. We hand voted to accept two petitions for the degrees at last meeting. Hard for a bigot to hide doing it that way.

MarkR

Premium Member
I am still learning the (new to me) ways of Missouri Lodges. We hand voted to accept two petitions for the degrees at last meeting. Hard for a bigot to hide doing it that way.
I think that the good that can be done by keeping bigots from hiding is far outweighed by the loss of a secret ballot.

Warrior1256

Site Benefactor
I think that the good that can be done by keeping bigots from hiding is far outweighed by the loss of a secret ballot.
I have to disagree with you on this one brother. For many reasons already mentioned I still think that the secret ballot is the way to go. If a brother black balls someone because of their race, religion, etc. then they have to live with themselves and shame on them.

Last edited: