My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

One-Day classes, What do YOU think?

Are you in favor of One-Day Classes?

• Total voters

cemab4y

Premium Member
Some states have "One-Day-Classes", where you arrive at the lodge building, at 0600am Saturday morning, and you leave at 600pm a Master Mason.

What do you think about this?

Benton

Premium Member
If I had gone to a one day class, I would have been overwhelmed with information, and I don't know that I would have gone back. I wouldn't have had much of a chance to make the friendships I did while learning the catechisms. While I know the catechisms don't make the Mason, I do feel they lay the cornerstone upon which we build our future Masonic identity. And, through learning them, I learned how the lodge functioned, made friends, etc. None of which could have been done in a day.

Beathard

Premium Member
I believe that a new member learns more from the three separate degrees and the trial lecture process. I can't see how a one day event would teach as much.

I do however believe in special dispensation for men going into the military. I believe they should sign a contract that would require the to do all trial lectures upon returning.

cemab4y

Premium Member
Should there be exceptions made in unusual circumstances, like a soldier deploying overseas? During WW2, many lodges operated "around the clock", doing degree work, 24 hours a day, for soldiers.

Last edited:

coachn

Coach John S. Nagy
Premium Member
Should there be exceptions made in unusual circumstances, like a soldier deploying overseas? During WW2, many lodges operated "around the clock", doing degree work, 24 hours a day, for soldiers.
Sure, if a man has already done the Work of the EA and FC, you know, subdue his passions, circumscribed his desires and become proficient in Virtues, the 7LAs&Ss and has created a Masterpiece, why not?

Otherwise, let him do the Work first. Like everyone should (but that's another issue.)

jwhoff

Premium Member
Can't go this one boys ... for any reasons.

I went through much sole searching progressing through my degrees. Without which, I would not have had the supporting structure to make significant, critical changes. Too many masons are walking the street in name only. I can't see one-day classes turning that tide. I consider masonic degrees to be ever bit as important to a man's formation as a formal education.

AAJ

Our Lodge had a petitioner who had been wounded while in Iraq. He was able to visit home for a few days in between hospital/physical therapy visits. We did the one day thing for him the permission of the Grand Lodge (we are in Utah). While back in DC, he recognized and was able to help a "distressed" Mason.

I think that the one day class was beneficial for this brother, though it should still be used only in unusual circumstances. The degree ceremonies themselves can't teach nearly as much as the study of the degree ceremonies.

Bro. Stewart P.M.

Lead Moderator Emeritus
Staff Member
Bad Idea.

First of all verboten by the GLoTX (2 weeks minimum between degrees). Secondly the participants benefit nothing from the information that they observe / receive.

The only way that I might agree to a one day or multiple degree day is if the Brother was already initiated, on his death bed, and was his last dying wish. Even if that was the case, he would only need to be obligated under the various degrees.

Of course I DO have some very "old school" and "traditional" opinions pertaining to our ancient fraternity.

tom268

One day classes are not known here in Germany. It would not function either, as EAs and FCs are full members of the lodge and participiate in any degree meeting possible for their degree. Waiting tims between degrees is between 9 and 12 month minimum, so the brothers visit about 5 to 10 meetings at least before they proceed. Many candidates ask for even more time, so they get the opportunity to "live their degree", to be an apprentice, to change their view of the world as a fellow craft, before they experience the MM degree.

Here, your work on your own rough ashlar begins with your first step into the lodge building, not as a MM. And the steps are only steps, if you get the opportunity to experience them as those. Mountaineers don't only enjoy the view on the top, they enjoy all the way to the top, and the challenges they have to overcome doing so. That makes the view at the top rewarding. A one day class is like beaming up directly to the top and enjoy the snack bar up there.

cemab4y

Premium Member
I think it is very beneficial, to have some time between the degrees, to "absorb" the lessons. The exact time, varies with the individual. I was in Indiana (2008), and the GL of Indiana, leaves the time frame up to the individual lodge. If the "coach" of the individual is satisfied, that the man has completed the degree, and has properly absorbed the lessons, and is proficient in the degree, then the man may proceed to the next degree. This policy ensures that the man has the lessons in his mind, and is not rushing things.

I still am 100% in favor of having an accelerated program in special circumstances, such as a military man, deploying overseas.

Bro.BruceBenjamin

Premium Member
Their are a few PHA Grand Lodges that support one day classes but, (Most Worshipful Prince Hall Grand Lodge of South Carolina) currently does not support one day classes.

Dave in Waco

Premium Member
IMO there shouldn't be one day classes. I really don't like the idea of "fast food Masonry". The whole point of the degrees is to put yourself on a journey of learning the lessons taught in the degrees. Personally, I kind of like the more Europeon model where degrees require months if not years. But, a one day cram session is not a learning session, it like cramming the night before a big test. You don't really learn the work, you hopefully memorize it long enough for the test.

Now I can see some reasons where special circumstances might give cause to do degrees in quick order, but those are special exceptions to the rule.

MikeMay

Premium Member
There is just too much to learn and reflect on going through the degrees, I would have to say that doing it in one day would not serve a brother at all. The time with our mentors and the time reflecting and memorizing is invaluable to the beginning of our journey.

Its just my opinion but I think there is too much to lose for anyone to go through the degrees in a day...more especially for this fraternity of ours.

David Duke

Premium Member
Absolutely NOT!! I'm not even in favor of a Special Dispensation for military deployment simply because the decision to become a Mason is not something that should be done at the last minute. One should give it considerable thought and then if he so desires to petition enjoy the journey; as was stated above Masonry should not be delivered as "fast food" but be a lifetime experience so what is the rush to push someone to the finish line when there is not one?

I know of a newly raised brother that had received Special Dispensation from the GM to receive all three degrees in the same day because he was going to Afganistan (for work not military duty although I'd still be against it if he was in the military). This brother was in his mid thirties, he had over 10 years to petition and then complete his work why should he have been granted the Special Dispensation?

Last edited:

KFerguson84

Premium Member
I had the opportunity to take the One Day Class and turned it down to instead go through the Blue Lodge Degrees like the men who traveled the road before me. Best decision I ever made.

Beathard

Premium Member
I believe the military dispensation is appropriate in some cases. A few years ago we had a 21 year old going into the military. He had volunteered with the lodge for several years. His dad and grandfather were both members. He had been waiting for years. It was not a last minute deal. Making him wait would have been criminal considering he was going to fight for us. I believe each case needs to be decided individually.

cemab4y

Premium Member
Bravo to your lodge! I have been working in Iraq/Afghanistan for the past 7 (seven) years. I work here by choice, I have not been in uniform for 30 years. There must be a consideration for special circumstances. I reside in Metro WashDC. The drive time and commuting here is the second worst in the USA (after Southern Calif). I would be delighted to see lodges offering degree work on Saturday mornings (ONE degree at a time). This would not compromise the experience for the candidate.

When I was in Florida (2009), the Grand Master of Florida, declared that there would be no ODC's during his time in office.

Very few topics get masons more "riled up", than ODC's.