My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Purchasing and wearing your own apron.

dfreybur

Premium Member
I would strongly suspect that very few, if any, jurisdictions prohibit owning your own apron, so long as it meets the guidelines pertaining to the apron itself (dimension, color, material, embellishment, etc) ...Either way, it should be simple to find the answer in the local law book.

Exactly. The locals might not even know it's a local tradition not a rule. Like the temporary (only 170 years!) switch to opening stated meetings in the third in the US, I feel this is a tradition that should be allowed to fade into history.

Bloke

Premium Member
But i want to get my own apron

Did you do this ?

Here, MMs need their own and are invested with it on raising. It then becomes a very personal item. I wear a PM apron now, but when going back into the chair, a PM puts on a MM apron for the night.

It's also very typical to give your apron to your son here. I've seen several bros invested as a MM with their Grandfather's apron. It's a lovely moment to see...

I bet if you purchased one, others would follow suit.

pointwithinacircle2

Rapscallion
Premium Member
When I asked someone in the GL office about buying my own plain white MM apron I was told that it was not appropriate and that I should just use the ones provided by theLodge. He sounded a little offended. Just FYI.

Bloke

Premium Member
When I asked someone in the GL office about buying my own plain white MM apron I was told that it was not appropriate and that I should just use the ones provided by theLodge. He sounded a little offended. Just FYI.

Yep. Do it anyway... part of being a wise mason is knowing when to, and when not to, listen to GL.

I agree with my bro above - be a trend setter.

Levelhead

Premium Member
Did you do this ?

Here, MMs need their own and are invested with it on raising. It then becomes a very personal item. I wear a PM apron now, but when going back into the chair, a PM puts on a MM apron for the night.

It's also very typical to give your apron to your son here. I've seen several bros invested as a MM with their Grandfather's apron. It's a lovely moment to see...

I bet if you purchased one, others would follow suit.
Yes i did! And wear it all the time!

Sent from Mossy Oak Swamp Bottom

hanzosbm

Premium Member
I enquired about getting my own apron shortly after being raised. The WM (a very good friend and level headed man) strongly advised against it. The reason was that we had many older brothers without the means to do so themselves. The concern was that, as was said here, once one brother starts doing it and it catches on, everyone will do it, except for the few who can't afford it, thus making them stand out and possibly embarrassing them.

The argument could be made that me having pride shouldn't embarrass them, or that it is not different than buying a Masonic ring, or a million other arguments; all of which are equally valid. But no argument will prevent a brother's feelings from being hurt.

In short, I'm not saying to not get your own apron, but I think it is very important to understand the climate of your particular lodge and think about the good of others as well. If everyone has the means, go for it. If there are 30 brothers who all want to do it, but you know that one brother doesn't have the means, maybe pitch in and see if you can gift one to that brother (I'm sure it would mean a lot to him). But if there's a chance that you might cause harm, maybe it is best for the good of the order to abstain.

Reactions: GKA

hanzosbm

Premium Member
I must admit, I wear my own apron because the strings on the ones the lodge provides are too short, all my brothers at the lodge know this
Ha! I like that. For me, the strings are always just wrong. I'm not as slender as I once was, but wouldn't say I'm big either. My problem is that tying it in back usually leaves the strings too long. Trying to tie it in front leaves me with a tiny bow that comes undone. I would very much like to not have to deal with that anymore.

Reactions: GKA

Bloke

Premium Member
How much is a MM apron there ?

Here, a new one is about $110 AUD but there are cheaper options on the web. You can get a second hand one here for about $30 with case. There is a good trade in them. Both mine were 2nd hand, i especially like the idea of wearing a departed bros apron in lodge on his behalf cause i love the history and traditions of FM. If i wanted to affect a change in a lodge where members did not have them, i'd propose we make those we had available to members as gifts, but also buy 20 new ones at a bulk discount, openly add $10-$20 to the price with the profit going to renew our aprons or to charity. I'd buy those with cash supplued by members pre-ordering them and not move on this until those pre-orders gave me confidence in the uptake. From then, explain to every future petitioner they need to buy their own apron and if they can't, that we would work something out...

crono782

Premium Member
The concern was that, as was said here, once one brother starts doing it and it catches on, everyone will do it, except for the few who can't afford it, thus making them stand out and possibly embarrassing them.

I see where he is coming from, but to me, this is like saying "wear a suit to lodge, just not too nice of one."

I've seen very nice aprons of sturdy cloth and buckles for under $40. Heck, it could even be a plain cotton one, but it would belong to them. That would cost next to nothing. I mean, the lodge could even fundraise or start a penny a day program to help those who cannot afford it or are on fixed incomes. I guess I prefer to find solutions rather than only see obstacles.

hanzosbm

Premium Member
I see where he is coming from, but to me, this is like saying "wear a suit to lodge, just not too nice of one."
Funny you mention that. For the same reason, the lodge also advised against wearing suits, although when I moved, more and more of the younger Masons were at least slowly stepping up their dress.

I think that beginning now and certainly as time goes on, we are seeing/will see a shift. At the time I petitioned, I believe the average age of the lodge was over 80 and they were almost all living on a fixed income (and a small one at that). Most of them had lifetime memberships so there was zero cost to them for anything (including gas as the younger brothers typically gave them a lift). The idea of one or two very young, very new Masons coming in and making changes to a lodge they'd been running for 50 years and that was going to cost them money didn't go over so well. However, as time goes on, fewer and fewer of those older brothers join us (for a variety of reason, not the least of which being the hourglass) and more and more young brothers are joining. I'd be willing to bet that change is just over the horizon. That being said, to any reading this, I would still advise caution. As Brother Crono782 put it, look for solutions rather than only see obstacles, but also be sure that you're looking at the big picture so as not to inadvertently hurt a brother.

Companion Joe

Premium Member
I am all for creating a culture of change in a lodge when it is for the better. I am kind of the spearhead in our lodge for such things. At 44 years old and having been a Master Mason for almost 22 years, I am the bridge between the old and young.

However, a couple of comments in this thread disturb me. When counseled by an older member or a authoritative body to do or not do something, and the answer isn't the one you seek, saying, "do it anyway" is a problem with today's younger people. Take Freemasonry out of the equation and insert society in general, and that attitude has gotten us to where we are today.

Bloke

Premium Member
When counseled by an older member or a authoritative body to do or not do something, and the answer isn't the one you seek, saying, "do it anyway" is a problem with today's younger people. Take Freemasonry out of the equation and insert society in general, and that attitude has gotten us to where we are today.

I understand where you are coming from and both agree and disagree at the same time.

A great test is will the change really matter in 1,2,5,20 or 50 years time. For me, this apron issue was about pride. And coming from a MM, I always listen to things like that, especially when it is a minor change which could make a big difference.. Sure, pride is one of the seven deadly sins, but loosing members and not harnessing new brothers enthusiasm will surely hurt the craft. It's why we had an clever EA at a strategic planning meeting last night. Engaging, encouraging, eductatiing and instilling pride and seems like some of the imporant tasks for a PM. And yes, providing an example and rampaging in a destructive way or different direction can be destructive. A good question is will this action or decision harm or help the lodge, today and into the future...

Some of the things our GL does are just plain dumb. I've swam against the tide, and seen the direction move in the same direction I went because it made sense and made for better outcomes. It I'd not had that "do it anyway" attitude, we would no longer have a building to meet in. We might well no longer have a warrant, but I try to apply wisdom and effect positive change, sometimes that means being the first to do something. That's the start of leadership, but true leadership is motivating others to also change for the better. Beyond this common sense approach, the other thing I check is the Constitution, it a change is not prohibited there or in the ritual, then it's on the table to be considered. If it is against the Const, then fortunately I am in a position to move a motion at our Grand Lodge.

I guess one of the tests I use is will this position us for future success without changing a landmark. Buying (or not buying) your own apron seems like minor thing...

Thanks for your response brother - I love the way a small idea like buying your own apron can lead to interesting and wider discussion. That's the key, discussion these things and reflecting on the responses to find ways to support individuals and also strengthen the craft.

GKA

Premium Member
However, a couple of comments in this thread disturb me. When counseled by an older member or a authoritative body to do or not do something, and the answer isn't the one you seek, saying, "do it anyway" is a problem with today's younger people. Take Freemasonry out of the equation and insert society in general, and that attitude has gotten us to where we are today.

I must confess that I am disturbed that a brother anywhere would attempt to impress his own opinion about a trivial event onto another brother, should we not wear masonic tie clasp or rings because another brother may be offended by it ?, we have this problem in my lodge where a few new brothers have decided that they speak for the whole brethren, this creates a lot of hostility, nearly splitting the lodge apart.
We need to allow every brother the right to express his love for the craft as he sees fit, and only give council if that method reflects poorly upon the fraternity as a whole.

Companion Joe

Premium Member
1. It is an older and veteran Mason's responsibility to give good and wholesome instruction to those less experienced than himself.

2. My comment had little to do with aprons. It was pointed toward the attitude of seeking input, not getting the answer sought, and saying do it anyway. I even said take Masonry out of it. I see it every day with high school kids. They are presented a set of rules and guidelines, do the exact opposite because it's what they want to do, and are then affronted when they get into trouble.

hanzosbm

Premium Member
1. It is an older and veteran Mason's responsibility to give good and wholesome instruction to those less experienced than himself.

2. My comment had little to do with aprons. It was pointed toward the attitude of seeking input, not getting the answer sought, and saying do it anyway. I even said take Masonry out of it. I see it every day with high school kids. They are presented a set of rules and guidelines, do the exact opposite because it's what they want to do, and are then affronted when they get into trouble.
Brother, I see your point, and I'm not entirely sure where I come down on the matter, but I do think that there is an important distinction to be drawn between doing something that is against the RULES because you feel like it, and doing something that is contrary to the advice of a single individual (unless that individual is the WM, in which case, it's pretty much a rule). There is a fine line between exercising one's free will within the guidelines of established rules and causing waves within the lodge.

I will also add, I give ZERO weight to how long a brother has been in the lodge. I've encountered some of the worst human beings I've ever met in lodge wearing a 30 year pin and who couldn't tell you the first thing about Freemasonry. I've met some of the finest men I've ever met as EAs who could run the entire degree by themselves and have meaningful conversation on its symbolism. I've also seen the exact opposite. My point is, judge a man based on who he is, not on how long he's been there, and then weigh his opinion based on that.

GKA

Premium Member

Sorry, I was sure this thread was about aprons, my bad