My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

questions brothers ask and answer in public?

dfreybur

Premium Member
As I was sharing differences about my jurisdiction, he stopped me and told me we were doing it all wrong

Those are words that need an echo chamber to make them sound like an announcer on a cheesy TV commercial - Other jurisdictions are doing it wrong.

It's almost as funny as a Big Bang Theory with the physicists telling the geologists they're doing it wrong.

David612

Assuming the scandal was pre-initiation, i would presume because he did not have a serious conviction, was seen as fulfilling prerequisites, had propsers, was not blackballed.

Im not surprised someone replied to your absolute statement about all Freemasons being good. Every barrel will have its bad apples.
Quite right too, hence my trepidation at the end of the post.
Thing is in my jurisdiction every mason I have met have been at least decent to me, beyond that I couldn’t really care.
The way people choose to live their lives is their business and as long as their behaviour that I have experienced is decent they are fine in my books as that’s all I expect from them, im not in a position to be passing judgment on anyone so I just handle my own affairs and should someone ask for help I’ll assess the request on its merit.

If you get hung up on people not behaving the way you feel they should you are in for a life of disappointment.

MarkR

Premium Member
How was he admitted with a significant corruption scandal to his name?
He was already a Mason and Shriner long before the scandal. And as far as I understand it (he and my dad weren't speaking to each other) he was not criminally charged, just allowed to "retire" without his pension.

My only point was that he was not a good man, and he was a Mason. Once when I was talking to my older brother about Masonry, he brought up Uncle Bill. I could only say "not everyone who kneels at the altar of Masonry really tries to live their obligations."

David612

He was already a Mason and Shriner long before the scandal. And as far as I understand it (he and my dad weren't speaking to each other) he was not criminally charged, just allowed to "retire" without his pension.

My only point was that he was not a good man, and he was a Mason. Once when I was talking to my older brother about Masonry, he brought up Uncle Bill. I could only say "not everyone who kneels at the altar of Masonry really tries to live their obligations."
Unfortunately I haven’t met these people nor the circumstances so I can’t really judge the situation, however this does reinforce my position of being conservative when deciding to extend charity to deserving people but generous when I do.

Warrior1256

Site Benefactor
I went to visit a GA lodge recently and the wording in the ritual varied slightly. After the meeting was over me and another brother dicussed the differences from his jurisdiction to mine. As I was sharing differences about my jurisdiction, he stopped me and told me we were doing it all wrong.
Sounds a lot like some Past Masters that I know, lol.
I would be much more open to taking a risk helping a Brother than a stranger.
Same here.

pmvi

have any of you encountered a brethren who has hyperhidrosis (sweaty palms) when gripping? how do you react to it?

LK600

Premium Member
have any of you encountered a brethren who has hyperhidrosis (sweaty palms) when gripping? how do you react to it?
I would hope that at the point I'd be shaking his hand, he'd be self aware. Beyond that, what Clewey44 said. :)

Symthrell

I thoroughly enjoyed it this weekend. Tonight I'll start preparing/studying for it's return.
Congrats on being "Passed" ! FC was a really wonderful degree! I am glad you enjoyed it!!

As to the question originally to start this thread, yesterday a gentleman asked me the old "How old is your grandmother?". I answered and we spoke for a bit outside the store I had just left.

Bloke

Premium Member
That's what the gloves are for ! LOL

That said, when the gloves are off (in the context of brotherly love) just remember, he's obviously feeling more pressure than you are !

MarkR

Premium Member
That's what the gloves are for ! LOL

That said, when the gloves are off (in the context of brotherly love) just remember, he's obviously feeling more pressure than you are !
We don't wear gloves in my jurisdiction.