My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

questions brothers ask and answer in public?

David612

"What you know about that" is a very common phrase where I live. Normally when a brother responds in this kind of way I just say I know a little and end the conversation because in previous conversations it turned into a "examination" on the street over just inquiring over a symbol.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using My Freemasonry mobile app

Exactly the right way to go in my opinion, I love talking masonry, esoterics and philosophy with people but not at the checkout line.
I’m happy to hang out with anyone and have a civil discussion over a meal, beer or both but there are unfortunately people out there that are jackasses and life’s better with out em imposing their opinions on you.

Dontrell Stroman

Premium Member
Exactly the right way to go in my opinion, I love talking masonry, esoterics and philosophy with people but not at the checkout line.
I’m happy to hang out with anyone and have a civil discussion over a meal, beer or both but there are unfortunately people out there that are jackasses and life’s better with out em imposing their opinions on you.
Agreed brother. Finding brothers that "Enjoy" discussing Freemasonry with the intent to learn and share knowledge can at times be difficult. Im not interested in discussing masonry with brothers that want to belittle other brothers and prove their "superiority knowledge" over another. We can all learn something from each other.

pmvi

Agreed brother. Finding brothers that "Enjoy" discussing Freemasonry with the intent to learn and share knowledge can at times be difficult. Im not interested in discussing masonry with brothers that want to belittle other brothers and prove their "superiority knowledge" over another. We can all learn something from each other.

Caring is sharing, sharing is learning

David612

Totally agreed, I think something fairly unique to Freemasonry is that so often both parties can be correct in their opinions and yet disagree with one another based solely on slight ritual changes, wording, local customs or what have you.
Ultimately however I think we all take slightly different eastbound paths.

Dontrell Stroman

Premium Member
Totally agreed, I think something fairly unique to Freemasonry is that so often both parties can be correct in their opinions and yet disagree with one another based solely on slight ritual changes, wording, local customs or what have you.
Ultimately however I think we all take slightly different eastbound paths.
Correct. Example: I went to visit a GA lodge recently and the wording in the ritual varied slightly. After the meeting was over me and another brother dicussed the differences from his jurisdiction to mine. As I was sharing differences about my jurisdiction, he stopped me and told me we were doing it all wrong. Long story short he was closed minded and believed it was GA way or the highway. Point made, instead of arguing about which ritual is right and what makes more sense, embrace the differences.

Bloke

Premium Member
You cheeky so n so, personally I was fortunate to learn in a convenient pub adjoining the lodge with knowing nods replacing some elements. realistically I couldn’t care if people want to test each other all day long if it is actually relevant to upholding our obligations but public testing of randoms for the sake of getting to use modes of recognition is silly.

would you not help this person if they wherent a mason?
I believe in helping people as much as I can, regardless of who they are.... but I would be much more open to taking a risk helping a Brother than a stranger.

David612

I believe in helping people as much as I can, regardless of who they are.... but I would be much more open to taking a risk helping a Brother than a stranger.
True, the thing about masons is that you KNOW they are at some level a good person, you may not agree with them on everything but at a fundamental level, they are well intentioned.
Generally.
Theoretically.
I like to think.

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor
True, the thing about masons is that you KNOW they are at some level a good person, you may not agree with them on everything but at a fundamental level, they are well intentioned.
Generally.
Theoretically.
I like to think.
Generally, Masons are good people. Generally, most people are good people. In 35 years of practice as an attorney and judge, I’ve only met a handful of truly bad people. However, having been involved in over 100 Masonic body disciplinary matters, I know that not all Masons are well intentioned.

The salve is that we, as Masons, do care, and we do have processes to protect the title of Mason.

MarkR

Premium Member
Generally.
Theoretically.
I like to think.
Nah. I had an uncle (now deceased) who was not at all a good person. He was fired from his police department in a corruption scandal. He ran a business, and told his son "you have to cheat your friends; your enemies don't do business with you." He became a Mason so he could become a Shriner so he could be on the Shrine motorcycle drill team.

David612

Nah. I had an uncle (now deceased) who was not at all a good person. He was fired from his police department in a corruption scandal. He ran a business, and told his son "you have to cheat your friends; your enemies don't do business with you." He became a Mason so he could become a Shriner so he could be on the Shrine motorcycle drill team.
How was he admitted with a significant corruption scandal to his name?

Brother JC

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
I went to visit a GA lodge recently and the wording in the ritual varied slightly. After the meeting was over me and another brother dicussed the differences from his jurisdiction to mine. As I was sharing differences about my jurisdiction, he stopped me and told me we were doing it all wrong. Long story short he was closed minded and believed it was GA way or the highway. Point made, instead of arguing about which ritual is right and what makes more sense, embrace the differences.
This is such a ridiculous notion. I doubt any GL in this country works exactly the same way as any other. One of the things I love about our Craft is the variation between Grand Lodges, and even Lodges.
It's sad that there are members out there who are so short-sighted. I'm guessing he's never traveled outside his jurisdiction...

Dontrell Stroman

Premium Member
This is such a ridiculous notion. I doubt any GL in this country works exactly the same way as any other. One of the things I love about our Craft is the variation between Grand Lodges, and even Lodges.
It's sad that there are members out there who are so short-sighted. I'm guessing he's never traveled outside his jurisdiction...
I dont believe so. I've invited him to my lodge and he has yet to come.

Last edited:

Warrior1256

Site Benefactor
Jurisdictional, but think of the FC proficiency. Particularly towards the beginning. At least this is what I'm being reminded of by the term.
I think I have it, thanks Brother.
One of the things I love about our Craft is the variation between Grand Lodges, and even Lodges.
Yeah, here things are different from lodge to lodge let alone jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The GL of Kentucky recognizes four different ritual books. As long as you base your openings, closings and ritual on one of these you are in compliance with the GL

Bloke

Premium Member
...... As I was sharing differences about my jurisdiction, he stopped me and told me we were doing it all wrong. ......

That brother's never heard of the small event of 1751 being the split betweem "ancients" and "moderns" which divided Freemasonry for about 60 years and which still ripples through our ceremonies and structure..

Bloke

Premium Member
How was he admitted with a significant corruption scandal to his name?
Assuming the scandal was pre-initiation, i would presume because he did not have a serious conviction, was seen as fulfilling prerequisites, had propsers, was not blackballed.

Im not surprised someone replied to your absolute statement about all Freemasons being good. Every barrel will have its bad apples.