My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Regarding Your Masonic Membership

Do you....

• Conceal your membership/involvement

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Don't hide but don't advertise

Votes: 64 57.1%
  • Tell anyone any chance you get

Votes: 47 42.0%

• Total voters

Cripps

I'm honoured to be a mason. Like everyone I wear the ring. I love entering conversations regarding masonry. I feel a responsiblity to inform people of the benifits of masonry. Although, depending on the group of peple I am with depends what "light" I empart

Bboc

While out a bar one night watching a ufc fight I saw a prince hall mason wearing a shirt necklace and ring. I was only an ea at the time from a blue lodge. Now im a master.20 mins later I tried to find him and not. I kept looking and finally saw him I approached him and noticed he had turned his shirt inside out hide his necklace and flipped his ring so no one could tell what it was. I asked him why he had done this. He told me he was not ashamed to be a mason but did not want others to be ashamed of him if he was too have one too many to drink. And I totally under stood. I have used this as a great lesson for myself if I should find my self in a place or situation that I would not want to bring my preachor too. I hope this will help someone else like it helped me.

Christopher

I don't wear any Masonic jewelry, and I don't usually mention the Craft, but I have told a few close friends that I joined, and my family knows.

Ben Rodriguez

I don't wear a shirt, cap or ring. Maybe the ring every once in a blue moon, I plan to get a small emblem for my car, but other than that I don't advertise much. I act as such though!

JBD

Premium Member
Wear lapel pins all the time, GLoT shirts, Chapter and Council shirts, ring, GM car decal. I do not take anything off at work or at political functions (yes I am politically active). I will tell anyone about Masonry. I do not worry about my work or political situations. If they ask I use it for a teaching, promoting opportunity - in TX we pretty much built the place to begin with so why hide it?

Very basically I look at it this way - Masonry it is something you ARE not something you DO and not something you BELONG to.

WTMasonBob

I don't regularly advertise, but I do let the world know that I am a very proud Mason. I feel it is an honor to be a Mason, especially at the ripe ol' age of 18.

Bobby Fabian
Monahans Lodge #952
Monahans, Texas
Currently living in Canyon, Texas

jwhary

I just received my ring today and I wear it proudly. I am proud to be a Mason and I don't try to hide the fact but I don't overtly advertise the fact either.

jmackeen

Aside from a small lapel pin and ring I don't realy advertise if someone notices the jewelry and strikes up a conversation I'm glad to talk with them but very rarely do I start up the conversation myself.

Timothy Fleischer

Brothers,

I chose "advertise," because I wear a ring. I will gladly speak to anyone who asks me about Masonry. I am very proud of being accepted into a Fraternity that includes George Washington and Sam Houston among its members.

I DON'T RECRUIT. I truly believe in the passage of scripture "Seek and ye shall find." However, a good handy tool to keep is the Between Friends brochure and the small card that can fit in your wallet about "What Masonry Is" and "What Masonry Is Not."

When I come across someone critical of Masonry, I do as Christ did: I knock the dust off my sandals and move on. This probably comes from my upbringing in which I was taught not to mud wrestle with a pig.

We won't change the minds of our detractors and there are too many others who are interested and open-minded to waste time on the detractors.

Tim Fleischer
PM Salado Masonic Lodge #296

S.Courtemanche

Premium Member
Bro Fleischer, how are you doing? Brother Scott Gurnett was telling me about the FC degree he did out in Salado sounds like you guys had a great time. Were having our stated meeting tonight out at Knob Creek in Temple there will be pot luck as this will be our Christmas dinner, should be plenty of food. (o;

tom268

In Germany, it is uncommon to show your membership, even more, to speak about it. We have the rule, that freemasons do not advertize. A small lapel pin can be seen from time to time, but not very often. We try to keep the secrecy, that was the strength of our fraternity for over 200 years.

Beathard

Premium Member
Not sure why one in the US would want to keep it secret. We are not persecuted. Nothing is secret anymore due to leaks in books and the Internet. Growth in the fraternity is difficult with secrecy.

tom268

Well, persecution is not the issue, but the nature of freemasonry is. Why taking an oath to keep things secret, if it is just nonsense?

And the argument, that everything is revealed already cannot be an argument for us. We copy the betrayal of others? Because someone else betrayed our oath, we can copy him with a clean conscience? No, I don't think so.

And at least for me and my brethren here, growth of the fraternity is not the goal, but growth of our character. We don't hide our lodge buildings, but you will find very few pictures of brothers in regalia, group pictures of the officers and such things in the internet. It is very different here, not because persecution, but because of choice and tradition. And, when you look into your own past, you will see, that masonry in the US was not always that public and progressively outward oriented, as it is today. It just developed that way, and it developed differently here in Europe.

There is a minority of brethren in the US, who want it our way. They call themselves Traditional Observance or European Style, and there are a minority of brethren here, who want it your way, but they are not organized, but spread across all grand lodges. It's all a matter of taste and tradition.

Dave in Waco

Premium Member
At one time we needed to maintain our secrecy due to many of our members speaking about such subjects as Freedom of Religion and Self-Government. In many countries centuries ago, these were serious crimes.

Beathard

Premium Member
Members did not hide their membership in the US in colonial times. There were public events in which masons presided. George Washington and the capital cornerstone. In Texas it was not secret. We have records of community events in 1835 through 1840 that were held by masons. My relatives officiated at dome of them. Early schools in Texas were on the first floor of Masonic lodges. This is not a new development. The practice of letting people know who we are has been going on for a couple of hundred years. Europe has a different history, I can see why they were secretive in the past. I do not understand the argument of you have to remain secret to improve yourself. Much of what improves use is found in improving others.