Secrecy

Discussion in 'Frequently Asked Questions' started by MeCorby, May 18, 2016.

1. Ripcord22A

Ripcord22A Site Benefactor

Exactly. Washing a hog would be ridiculous so are these "sounds" coming from the sky

Sent from my LG-H811 using My Freemasonry Pro mobile app

2. SCStrong

SCStrong Registered User

I am late to join this thread but:

I am fairly new to the craft - but I have been happily married for some time. As I understand it, the primary secrets are the modes of recognition, rituals, signs, and tokens. You should be free to ( and should ) discuss what Masonry means to you, why you want to be a part of it, what the ideals/ guiding tenets of Masonry are , and a feel for what being a Mason means, with your significant other. Assure her that nothing in Masonry will conflict with the marriage vows or your familial obligations. ( because they should not ). My suggestion is to be as open as you can without violating your Masonic obligations. I am in the US so, I have not had to deal with any anti- Masonic people in the work place. I am sure they exist, I just haven't dealt ( knowingly) with them. Best of luck to you........ hope my ramblings helped you.

Bill Lins and Bloke like this.
  3. JamestheJust

JamestheJust Registered User

The recognition modes are the secrets. Thus the secrets serve only to protect themselves.

Fortunately, Masonry being a science, may be discovered by humans of good will that put in the required effort and experiment, regardless of lodge initiation.

SCStrong likes this.
  4. JamestheJust

Proof indeed. Meanwhile there are hundreds of news reports across the northern hemisphere of such sounds, both from the air and from the ground. I cannot recall such a report from the southern hemisphere.

5. GKA

GKA Premium Member

Many brothers that I know choose to keep their Masonic status a secret, that is a personal choice in my opinion and can have both benefits and negative consequences, it depends upon your situation, as for sharing secrets with your spouse, I am inclined to ask why would you want to? The whole secrecy thing concerning Masonry has gotten carried away, the secrecy is really, only a method of showing integrity an commitment to your oath, none of it really warrents such a status, it probably did in the past when Masons were persecuted. Your ability to keep secret that which is required is a statement to your integrity as a person.

Bill Lins, Warrior1256 and Bloke like this.
  6. JamestheJust

If however a brother learned to use 'the working tools" in a "moral sense" then he could measure many moral aspects, for example the level of corruption (trueness) in public officials. Such a skill would need to be kept secret in order to survive.

GKA likes this.
  7. Bloke

Bloke Premium Member

So your saying Malcom Turnbull is going to send his crack hit squad after you should you have, and should it become known, you have such knowledge ?

Come on James....We're in the realm of silly.. or do you think we should be afraid of Johnny Howard climbing through our bedroom window with a knife between his teeth because of our Masonic knowledge ?

coachn, Keith C and Ripcord22A like this.
  8. Warrior1256

Warrior1256 Site Benefactor

As I have come to expect from you Brother these are wise and accurate words. If I can not be trusted to keep secret a hand grip or password then I can not be trusted with the bigger things in life. If I can not keep my Brother's confidence then I lose it.

MarkR, GKA and Bill Lins like this.
  9. Ripcord22A

Thats exactly whats gonna happen didnt you know!?

Sent from my LG-H918 using My Freemasonry mobile app

Warrior1256 and Bloke like this.
  10. JamestheJust

Straw man arguments are easy

11. Ripcord22A

12. Warrior1256

***snicker snicker***
    Same here....what?

13. Bloke

Bloke Premium Member

Warrior1256 and LK600 like this.
  14. LK600

LK600 Premium Member

James, I think you would need to expand on your comment since I do not believe the "straw man" was intentional but based on a lack of information/explanation.

Bloke, Warrior1256 and Ripcord22A like this.
  15. Warrior1256

Agreed!

16. JamestheJust

I used only one example of applying the genuine secrets. Taking my one example and applying it in a jocular way to a local political party does not seem to me like a serious response to my proposition.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2017
  17. LK600

LK600 Premium Member

Granted, but your comment was ambiguous at best. Beyond that, I think the issue some have had (with your comment) is plausibility and or probability.

Warrior1256 likes this.
  18. coachn

coachn Coach John S. Nagy Premium Member

So are making hyperbolic claims that cannot ever be verified... :cool:

Warrior1256 likes this.
  19. Warrior1256

Yep.

20. JamestheJust

Masonry is a science. Plausibility is irrelevant. It is a matter of experiment.

Share My Freemasonry