The Egyptian Schools of Mystery?

Discussion in 'Becoming a Prince Hall Freemason' started by ChildofTheSun13, Apr 22, 2013.

1. Brother JC

Brother JC Vigilant Staff Member

Dropping regional names... Zoroastrian beliefs are arguably as old as those of Kemet, and much of the symbolism is the same. Again, no evidence to tie either period/belief system/mystery school to Masonry.

2. JM-MWPHGLGA

JM-MWPHGLGA Premium Member

Arguably but not proven. I see the evidence. But to each his own. The order is the oldest in the world, dating back too Greece. At least that's what the practice teach.

Sent from my iPhone using My Freemasonry

3. Ripcord22A

Ripcord22A Site Benefactor

if i made up an organization TODAY and used the symbols and teachings of the Mayans to help people help themselves.....that doesnt mean that i can trace my organization to ancient Maya it just means i used their symbols.....

4. dfreybur

dfreybur Premium Member

Right. It would be your best effort reconstruction. Like the Order of Bards and Druids did their best with limited material and made up the rest. Like the authors of our third degree did their best with limited material and made up the rest.

I would love their to be a surviving memory of ancient Egyptian mystery schools, but what we have is a mass of written lore only translated since the decypherment of the Rosetta Stone. Far better than our written lore from Druids, far less than our written lore from the Greeks.

Like with Mithraic religion, what we know of Egyptian ways is the written part and the mystery schools did not write. So we make our best guesses.

Chaz, coachn and Bloke like this.
  5. JamestheJust

JamestheJust Registered User

There are many aspects of modern Masonic ritual that seem to be copied from Persian tradition in 3 streams: Sumerian, Mithraic and Sufi.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2016
    NY.Light.II likes this.
  6. JamestheJust

I used to think that too, but since reading Anatoly Fomenko that is not nearly such a compelling proposition.

https://www.amazon.com/History-Fiction-Science-Chronology-No/dp/2913621058

Volume 3 is particularly destructive of common beliefs about the chronology of many but not all Egyptian structures and artifacts.

Unfortunately volumes 5 to 7 seem not yet to be translated into English.

7. Bloke

Bloke Premium Member

I think that's key. Wouldn't the fact our system incorporates several other systems of varied time and place really point to the fact ours drew on varied traditions of time and place rather than being a linear continuum ?

It's like a house. It might be Victorian, but if it has a structural element of later Edwardian times, the later indicates the house was altered or not as old as it was designed to make us think it was . Experts can tell from a glance at the chimney and roofline and use it as a good indication of age, windows, doors, floor plan, materials etc give more detail. For me, Freemasonry has such diverse incorporations it's clearly either been completely renovated numerous times or built recently. My bet is built recently, but the point in the thread is all recognise it's symbol rich and some of the origins of those symbols. We all agree ritual changed, whether it's ancient or new, does not matter because both lead to the same thing: if ancient, why did modern rewrite retain the element/symbol or if new, why did they incorporate it? Same question, what's important about it ? And if Freemasonry is a vehicle to teach ? What do these things teach ?

Last edited: Oct 7, 2016
    Chaz, coachn and MRichard like this.
  8. JamestheJust

Arguably a Mayan symbol is already prominent in many lodges.

dfreybur likes this.
  9. Bloke

Bloke Premium Member

But it's not unique to them.

dfreybur likes this.
  10. JamestheJust

Which symbol do you have in mind?

11. Bloke

Bloke Premium Member

I was actually thinking Aztec sun, (which I think the Mayans had a version of) but also the representations of the Ouroboruos and the symbol (that's name I cannot remember) which reflects the yin/yang simple which reoccurs in our checkered pavement

12. JamestheJust

[​IMG]

Good call. But there is more to know.

For example the Hunab Ku explains the peculiar practice of placing tassels at the corners of a pavement rather than along the sides of carpet.

13. Bloke

Bloke Premium Member

Yep, that's the one I was thinking of...but I am not sure as to its antiquity, it's been picked up as a new age thing, and I just had a quick look and do not understand its existence (or otherwise) in pre-christian and pre-European invasion South America,

14. pointwithinacircle2

pointwithinacircle2 Rapscallion Premium Member

If only there existed an oral tradition to pass on the knowledge of such things.

Bloke and coachn like this.
  15. JamestheJust

It seems to be an ancient symbol (of the center of the galaxy) slightly modified by a Freemason in the first part of the 20th century. It is however, in its functionality, essentially the same as the original.

In modern Masonry we have replaced the symbol for the center of the galaxy with a symbol for the Blazing Star. Why?

16. JamestheJust

If only.

So what do you suspect?

17. Bloke

Bloke Premium Member

Have we replaced he symbol for the centre of the galaxy with a symbol of the Blazing Star ? The Blazing Star contains a lot of symbolism, but the easiest one is the Sun..

18. JamestheJust

In typical EA TBs the Sun is off to the left side. It is not the center of Masonry. The "ladder" does not go there.

19. Bloke

Bloke Premium Member

Nor would the ladder go there..

20. JamestheJust

Why not?

Share My Freemasonry