My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The line

hanzosbm

Premium Member
I remember performing the SD role in an EA degree as an EA. I had my proficiency down and our proficiency included every single line of the SD's work for the degree, including the working tools lecture. It was a great experience, so I hope it works out for you.

David612

The way things are going it won’t be an issue as I’ll be a MM before he partitions.

Back on track however, many of the responses seem to be of the opinion that taking office is something to do because it helps the lodge and if you don’t do it someone else will have too, do you think this attitude has contributed to pushing brothers away who don’t want to go down that path?
In an ideal world it wouldn’t happen however I have heard tales of many brothers being pushed that way out of necessity which in turn can make them resentful.
What say you?

Bloke

Premium Member
...I had spoken to my WM about the possibility of delivering a charge should a friend of mine petition, I would need dispensation however..

I would not let that stop you. I suggest you engage with our WM and DC on this piont... do you know which charge you would like to do, I would suggest a short one - the key will be doing it well. As a DC, I've had MMs give charges only WBros should, and in the presence of 3 Grand Masters, they all had the view, better to see a FC do a good job than see a PM hash a charge up. I cant remember if you are in NSW or ACT, but if in Canberra, I know one of the Inspector of Workings quite well, PM me details if you want..

dfreybur

Premium Member
...many of the responses seem to be of the opinion that taking office is something to do because it helps the lodge and if you don’t do it someone else will have too, do you think this attitude has contributed to pushing brothers away who don’t want to go down that path?
In an ideal world it wouldn’t happen however I have heard tales of many brothers being pushed that way out of necessity which in turn can make them resentful.

Any Brother not interested in the line has a wide field of other service options, so none are ever pushed away for that reason. What I have seen happen is a Brother who expected work to be handed to him so he doesn't seek it out. So he wanders off. That's a very different issue that being pushed.

It does happen when there are more Brothers who want into the line than there are positions in the line. Should you find yourself in this situation and you have the money to pay dues in more than one lodge, I suggest asking around about nearby lodges that are struggling to keep their line full. No one is going to push you towards that lodge. You have to push yourself.

Warrior1256

Site Benefactor
ny Brother not interested in the line has a wide field of other service options, so none are ever pushed away for that reason.
Agreed.
It does happen when there are more Brothers who want into the line than there are positions in the line. Should you find yourself in this situation and you have the money to pay dues in more than one lodge, I suggest asking around about nearby lodges that are struggling to keep their line full.
Excellent suggestion!

David612

Interesting idea, again I’m not asking for myself rather just musing with the complaints I hear and opening them for discussion

dfreybur

Premium Member
I have heard people feel obligated to take office or they are letting the lodge down predominantly

Some lodges are hurting for officers so there is pressure to serve the lodge that way. On this board we've seen Brothers who ended up a warden under two years from being raised because of this.

It balances the trend that certain lodges are so successful they have waiting lists to get into line. Not really a balance as the numbers of lodges in each state are not nearly equal. More like a symmetry.

Warrior1256

Site Benefactor
On this board we've seen Brothers who ended up a warden under two years from being raised because of this.
My mother lodge is a small lodge that needs members to fill the officer line. Four months after being raised I was elected and installed as Senior Deacon. I was raised in August of 2014 and last month was installed as Master. Talk about cramming with study! Lol.

Keith C

Some lodges are hurting for officers so there is pressure to serve the lodge that way. On this board we've seen Brothers who ended up a warden under two years from being raised because of this.

It balances the trend that certain lodges are so successful they have waiting lists to get into line. Not really a balance as the numbers of lodges in each state are not nearly equal. More like a symmetry.

I am in that situation, I was raised in November of 2016 and am now Junior Warden. The issue came about due to last year's Senior and Junior Deacons having life altering events (loss of a job, change in work hours) that prevented them for continuing in "the Line." As I had a great interest in the ritual, and had participated in every Degree conferred by my lodge since the week after my raising, and I have a good ability to memorize!

Luckily, our new WM has appointed some Brothers to the SD an JD positions who are very likely to continue and we are making an effort to get more brothers out to district schools.

There are many brothers who have no desire to be on the path to WM. Several are happy to fill chairs such as JMC, SMC and Pursuivant that aren't really considered part of "The Line." We also have several folks who are working on becoming various levels of Masonic Scholars in the PA Academy of Masonic Knowledge who enjoy imparting what they have learned to the lodge.

It takes men willing to serve in The Line, Men willing to help where needed, men willing to teach and men willing to just show up and be present.

Bloke

Premium Member
I have heard people feel obligated to take office or they are letting the lodge down predominantly
People should take office because they want to, not because they feel pressure. That said, I indeed did take my first office because I felt the lodge needed me to rather than any want of my own to do so.. but I am very glad that I did.