My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Ten Commandments of Masonic Dress

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill Lins

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
I don't know what a floor school is.

Basically he's referring to the same thing as a practice night- when Brethren learn or brush up on the ritual & floorwork, practice conferral of degrees, etc.

jswan82

I understand the dress code, the rules and regulations, as my grandmother was in the Moose Lodge...which I’m unsure what that has anything to do with this, but I feel a deep connection in someway...as odd as this sounds, I would love nothing more to be a FreeMason and learn....I appreciated the Moose Lodge and understood it but I was just a young girl and I respect everything the FreeMasons are and do. But I also believe that as the times keep changing, you should keep changing with the dress code. You would probably get more members if the dress code was not so old fashioned or related to Only men. There are women, such as myself, who would love to be a member.

Ripcord22A

Site Benefactor
I understand the dress code, the rules and regulations, as my grandmother was in the Moose Lodge...which I’m unsure what that has anything to do with this, but I feel a deep connection in someway...as odd as this sounds, I would love nothing more to be a FreeMason and learn....I appreciated the Moose Lodge and understood it but I was just a young girl and I respect everything the FreeMasons are and do. But I also believe that as the times keep changing, you should keep changing with the dress code. You would probably get more members if the dress code was not so old fashioned or related to Only men. There are women, such as myself, who would love to be a member.
Welp good thing you don't have a say. Why can't men have anything for themselves anymore? But if you want to join then fine. ..look up le Droit humane....but do not come here and tell me that I/we should change for you. That's what's wrong with America. .....ahhh...I'll stop. The whole no politics or religion thing. .....but y'all know where I was going with this

Sent from my SM-G386T using My Freemasonry mobile app

jswan82

Welp good thing you don't have a say. Why can't men have anything for themselves anymore? But if you want to join then fine. ..look up le Droit humane....but do not come here and tell me that I/we should change for you. That's what's wrong with America. .....ahhh...I'll stop. The whole no politics or religion thing. .....but y'all know where I was going with this

Ripcord22A,
If I’m not mistaken, I do believe that the FreeMason were NOT sexist. Men have had enough things for themselves, as women have, so it’s about damn time we start to share things. If that upsets you, then you are NOT as godly or humane as you proclaim. I am not sorry you feel like that, I am not sorry I feel like I do, but I want to be better And equals....NOT unequal which is not right or fair in anyway. You are not entitled as much as I am not entitled so please get over yourself you sexist overreacting human.

jswan82

Ripcord22A,
If I’m not mistaken, I do believe that the FreeMason were NOT sexist. Men have had enough things for themselves, as women have, so it’s about damn time we start to share things. If that upsets you, then you are NOT as godly or humane as you proclaim. I am not sorry you feel like that, I am not sorry I feel like I do, but I want to be better And equals....NOT unequal which is not right or fair in anyway. You are not entitled as much as I am not entitled so please get over yourself you sexist overreacting human.
Besides, women know A lot about politics. Myself, I really could careless because, honestly anything that comes out of a mans mouth NOW is a bunch of bullshit lies. Also, America is wrong because of most men. It s greed and sex that’s it. And THAT I know is NOT what the FreeMasons is ABOUT.

Ripcord22A

Site Benefactor
I'm not sexist nor did I claim we weren't equals, that was you Ma'am. What I did say was that I'm tired of people trying to make other people/organizations change cause they feel left out or don't like the way things are done. They're plenty of organizations out there that do very similar work to Freemasonry that allow women. Freemasonry is a FRATERNITY ( Latin Frater; brother not sister) I'd rather Freemasonry cease to exist then change what it is and that's a Fraternity.
I just don't get where people get off thinking that they can dictate what other private citizens /organizations must or must not do.

Oh also I never claimed to be Godly or Humane.

Elexir

Ripcord22A,

My girlfreind is deeply opposed to females joining freemasonry so it has nothing to do with wich sex you are so please get down from your high horse.
As for the rest, if females want to join freemasonry there is two ways
1) LDH or Le Droit humain wich co-masonry (freemasonry for both men and women)
2) Get female-only freemasonry.

LK600

Premium Member
Besides, women know A lot about politics. Myself, I really could careless because, honestly anything that comes out of a mans mouth NOW is a bunch of bullshit lies. Also, America is wrong because of most men. It s greed and sex that’s it. And THAT I know is NOT what the FreeMasons is ABOUT.

I think you win the award for the months most sexist post! Congratulations!!!!

dfreybur

Premium Member
I think you win the award for the months most sexist post! Congratulations!!!!

I don't have many users in my Ignore list. Those in my ignore list get removed after a while. Using the Ignore feature improves my experience on the board.

Warrior1256

Site Benefactor
Freemasonry is a FRATERNITY ( Latin Frater; brother not sister) I'd rather Freemasonry cease to exist then change what it is and that's a Fraternity.
Absolutely!!!!
I just don't get where people get off thinking that they can dictate what other private citizens /organizations must or must not do.
Regular Masonry is a FRATERNITY. If women don't like this and want to join they have the option of co-Masonry or women only Masonry. If they are not satisfied with this... TOUGH, TOO BAD. One of the main reasons that I joined Freemasonry was that it is a fraternity. If that were to change I would immediately demit.

Brother_Steve

Premium Member
These commandments of Dress were issued in a UGLE lodge in England in the middle of the 1980's, what do you think about this?

Masonic Commandments According to St Georges Lodge By becoming a Freemason, you have left behind the heresy of antinomianism. You now know that we all need a few rules by which to lead our lives. Masons are made for order, not chaos but an order of the proper sort.Paradoxically, we do not want to be suppressed, yet we also know instinctively that anarchy would probably be the worst suppression of all. Moses came down from the mountain with the tablets on which were written The Ten Commandments. In St. George’s Lodge we are rather more modest, so to those new members who have asked for some guidance about the proper way in which a Freemason can maintain a decent appearance in a world which can be depressingly indifferent to standards of the sartorial sort. We therefore humbly offer our own version of The Ten Commandments.

( IV ) THOU SHALT HAVE SMART HAIR Americans call the parting in the hair ‘the part’. Frenchmen call it ‘la raie’. Italians call it ‘la riga’. The widespread disappearance of the parting has gone almost unremarked. It should have been the cause of outrage and protest. Why has it gone? Is it the laziness of barbers? A parting requires work to maintain, for it is the making of order where there is inclined to be indiscipline. Its presence now denotes a person who cares about tradition and about propriety. However, no matter how you style your hair, it should always be well groomed.

• In an attempt to be different, we've all become the same. Then again, my cowlick would have something to say if I tried to part my hair.

( X ) THOU SHALT NOT CHEW MINTS I am very sorry indeed that this unpleasant subject has to be mentioned. But the chewing of extra-strong mints has become an epidemic which is disfiguring freemasonry everywhere. It makes its practitioners appear moronic and it even results in the defilement of our temple by litter-louts. A freemason who is worthy of the name does not chew mints.
  • I would have to agree and disagree. Nothing is worse than being hoodwinked and someone with bad breath receiving you into the Lodge.

Bro. Stewart P.M.

Lead Moderator Emeritus
Staff Member
Ripcord22A,

jswan82,

I believe that you must first step back and observe things before demanding change. The Fraternity (male based) as opposed to Sorority (female based) of Freemasonry has a rich and vibrant history that stretches back well before any other social fraternal organization. It has and likely forever will be a men’s organization. It’s traditions, from modes of recognition, teachings, to manners of dress are why we choose to be an active participant. In short, we do not wish it to change from generation to generation.

There are other variations of our great Fraternity as such mentioned by the Brother previous, that do accept women as members. However this style of “masonry” is not, and likely will never be widely accepted as mainstream, or regular by all.

Before you can profess to know and understand something, you must be in knowledge. You are not in knowledge of anything outside of that which can be pieced together from the internet. Most of which is incorrect on a multitude of levels.

I will not allow this site to be turned into a circus of flame wars by any member.

All that being said, this is an old thread (2009), likely original contributors are no longer active. This will be the final post and the thread Closed. If it is a worthy topic, a new one may be started.

Status
Not open for further replies.