My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tuxedo versus Black suit

Brother JC

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
By whose standards? Cause growing up a formal was black tie /tux and a semi formal was dress shirt and slacks and tie.
By The Rules of Etiquette. If the Governor invited you to a semi formal dinner and you showed up in shirt and tie you’d be turned away.
We in the US have little knowledge of etiquette compared to our Brethren across the seas. I blame it on xenophobia. We always think we invented everything.
A great example of proper formal wear (and international differences) is a picture of Dubya and Mrs with Queen Elizabeth and Prince Philip; the Prince’s tails are properly fitted and certainly his, while Dubya’s are I’ll-fitted and probably rented.
Each lodge to their own, but one should at least have a grasp of how the rest of the world works. You never know when you might be invited to a state dinner.

LK600

Premium Member
So here's what I found to explain it (yes.. I would need this lol)

White Tie

•Black dress coat (tailcoat), matching trousers with a single stripe of satin or braid in the US; two stripes in Europe or the UK

•White piqué wing-collared shirt with stiff front

•Braces, to ensure a good fit

•Shirt studs and cuff links

•White vest

•White bow tie

•White or gray gloves

•Black patent shoes and black dress socks

Black Tie

•Black tuxedo jacket and matching trousers

•Formal (piqué or pleated front) white shirt

•Black bow tie (silk, satin, or twill)

•Black cummerbund to match tie, or a vest

•Dressy braces to ensure a good fit (optional)

•No gloves

•In summer, in the tropics, or on a cruise: White dinner jacket, black tuxedo trousers plus other black tie wardrobe

Creative Black Tie

•Tuxedo combined with trendy or whimsical items, such as a black shirt or a matching colored or patterned bow tie and cummerbund

Black Tie Optional

•Tuxedo (see “Black Tie” above)

•Dark suit, white dress shirt, and conservative tie

•Leather dress shoes and dark dress socks

Semiformal

•Dark, business suit

•Matching vest (optional)

•Dress shirt

•Tie

Festive Attire (usually for the holidays)

•Seasonal sport coat or blazer in color of choice, and slacks

•Open-collar shirt, or dress shirt

•Tie—festive or with a holiday theme

Business Formal*

•Dark business suit

•Matching vest (optional)

•Dress shirt

•Conservative tie

Business Casual*

•Seasonal sport coat or blazer with slacks or khakis

•Dress shirt, casual button-down shirt, open-collar or polo shirt

•Optional tie

•Loafers or loafer-style shoes, and socks

*Always check and abide by your company’s dress code

Dressy Casual

•Seasonal sport coat or blazer, and slacks

•Dress shirt, casual button-down shirt, open-collar or polo shirt

•Optional tie

Casual

•Khakis or good jeans (clean, no holes)

•Cargo or Bermuda shorts—depending on occasion and climate

•Plain T-shirt (no slogans), polo shirt, turtleneck

•Casual button-down shirt and/or sweater

•Loafers, sneakers (with or without socks), sandals

Elexir

So here's what I found to explain it (yes.. I would need this lol)

White Tie

•Black dress coat (tailcoat), matching trousers with a single stripe of satin or braid in the US; two stripes in Europe or the UK

•White piqué wing-collared shirt with stiff front

•Braces, to ensure a good fit

•White vest

•White bow tie

•White or gray gloves

For lodge, black best ;)

HoldenMonty

It all depends on the jurisdiction and doing some homework on proper wear before you visit a Lodge to make sure you won't be over or under dressed. I think I remember hearing my dad say that to be a worshipful master in Pennsylvania that you are suppose to wear tails and if you are an officer you are suppose to wear a tux and everybody else can wear a dark colored suit with a dark colored tie. So as most discussions about fine details like what you wear to lodge really depends on what jurisdiction you are in.

chrmc

This conversation has taken a very judgemental tone imo. Every brother in the world has an opinion as to the "proper" way the craft "should" be. As far as I am concerned, I will treat my fellow brothers no differently whether they are wear a polo or white tie. The same goes for whether I am dining on fine China or "eating KFC from a paper plate".

The debate on dress code always ends up there, because people often take the comments as an attack on them, which I don't think is intended.
I have my personal opinion on proper lodge attire, but to me it's up to the lodge and local customs. If people want blue jeans and a polo and that's the norm, so be it. Same thing with a tuxedo.
The only thing I will continue to harp on is uniformity across all members to be on the level and then proper respect for the Craft. Whatever that will mean for the lodge.

I will however say though that as brother Lewey touched upon, a number of the younger men especially in the metropolitan areas probably have an expectation, and maybe even a desire, for a more upscale code of dress. We need to remember this.

Dress code is an example that to a large extend ends up being a symbol for people's approach to the Craft. If one thinks the lodge room is just a room, that the weekly meeting is mainly about getting together with the guys and the ritual text is neat, but that's it, then the approach in attire is probably the same.
Whilst if you believe that the lodge is a sacred space, the ritual contains life altering words, and the fraternal relations should be second to none, you'll probably tend to dress in a more solemn way accordingly.

Keith C

It all depends on the jurisdiction and doing some homework on proper wear before you visit a Lodge to make sure you won't be over or under dressed. I think I remember hearing my dad say that to be a worshipful master in Pennsylvania that you are suppose to wear tails and if you are an officer you are suppose to wear a tux and everybody else can wear a dark colored suit with a dark colored tie. So as most discussions about fine details like what you wear to lodge really depends on what jurisdiction you are in.

I thought that was the case as well. My WM, SW, JW and DDGM all have confirmed that ALL officers SHOULD be wearing Tails, but the WM, SW and JW MUST.

Also I agree with you chrmc, it would be better if everyone was uniform. That is something that appeals to me about the TO lodge near me.

HoldenMonty

@Keith C thank you for the clarification. I think the book I should pickup is the Pennsylvania rule book because I can't remember off the top of my head the name of it but to read it and make sure I get to know them well. I have been working on the guide work for the first degree.

goomba

Neo-Antient
Site Benefactor
I prefer to wear a suit or tux when attending lodge. I also believe it is the responsibility of the lodge to inform candidates and then teach new EA's of the lodges particulars. For lodges who wear tuxedos this includes proper wear of the tuxedo.

Here is the guide I use: http://www.blacktieguide.com/Classic/Classic_Intro.htm
For an affordable option of tux/suites: https://alaindupetit.com/collections/black-suits

This conversation isn't about blue collar of white collar. It's about our individual tastes and lodge/grand lodge standards. No one forces me to wear a coat and tie. The lodge I was raised in jeans and a polo were normal. I took upon myself to start wearing a coat and tie because for me (me please read that I just said ME) I knew I could do better for the Craft. I personally want a lodge experience that is different from the outside world. I don't want to dress to go lodge and my wife think I'm going to grab a drink with a buddy. I want my outer expression to match my inner desire to purposefully separate what I am about to do as different, special and important. I expect no one to feel as I do however, I shall attempt to find a lodge with at least similar thoughts.

My dads lodge is jeans and t-shirt. I have no issue visiting that lodge but I know it isn't meant to be my lodge. Different strokes for different folks.

CLewey44

I prefer to wear a suit or tux when attending lodge. I also believe it is the responsibility of the lodge to inform candidates and then teach new EA's of the lodges particulars. For lodges who wear tuxedos this includes proper wear of the tuxedo.

For an affordable option of tux/suites: https://alaindupetit.com/collections/black-suits

This conversation isn't about blue collar of white collar. It's about our individual tastes and lodge/grand lodge standards. No one forces me to wear a coat and tie. The lodge I was raised in jeans and a polo were normal. I took upon myself to start wearing a coat and tie because for me (me please read that I just said ME) I knew I could do better for the Craft. I personally want a lodge experience that is different from the outside world. I don't want to dress to go lodge and my wife think I'm going to grab a drink with a buddy. I want my outer expression to match my inner desire to purposefully separate what I am about to do as different, special and important. I expect no one to feel as I do however, I shall attempt to find a lodge with at least similar thoughts.

My dads lodge is jeans and t-shirt. I have no issue visiting that lodge but I know it isn't meant to be my lodge. Different strokes for different folks.

Sometimes you have to go against the grain. I went to lodge in a coat and tie and was questioned 'Why you so dressed up for?' I reply, 'Respect for the institution.' But I'm thinking, 'How can you even ask that?" Nobody usually argues with that and all you can hope is a few others will do the same. People are quick to try to call out a person they view as 'overdressed' because they think they're being pretentious or snobby but nobody would say "Why you so under-dressed, brother?" to someone that was wearing a t-shirt and jeans in a lodge that typically wears suit or tux. They would just say, you need to go change, stay out here in the lobby or go home. It never should be a crime to go up a level and hope your brothers follow suit. Bro. Goomba, great points you make here. It's not just a social club for me either. If I wanted that I'd joined something else or nothing at all.

Keith C

@Keith C thank you for the clarification. I think the book I should pickup is the Pennsylvania rule book because I can't remember off the top of my head the name of it but to read it and make sure I get to know them well. I have been working on the guide work for the first degree.

You will need both the Ahiman Rezon and the current Digest of Decisions.

CLewey44

Btw, is that one site for real??? 40 or 50 bucks for pants and coat? That's insanely cheap.

LK600

Premium Member
I personally have no issue in what the chosen attire is for a given lodge as long as those attending stick to it and remain on the level. I would not agree with purposely removing yourself from the level in order to dress to your own satisfaction/desires (regardless if for the better or worse). The only issue I have with attire is due to the heat of where I am and the fact I sweat if I look at a picture of the sun lol. But it's difficult for me to focus to seriously on the clothing we wear to a lodge, while the lodges many of us attend look like their ready to give up the ghost. People refusing to take steps to rectify funding to fix anything or even to allow for A/C for more than a couple hours a week.

Edited for clarity..

Last edited:

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor
It seems that way at times. It's very off-putting for guys coming in with an expectation of a TO/European style of Masonry or even a blend of our more casual style but a bit of class too but then to be presented something that makes it less desirable and disappointing. Again, I just don't see guys back in the day being that lackadaisical about Masonry.
I remember reading a UT GM's address. He lamented that in a lodge of 100, only 10 would attend meetings. Sound familiar? It was given c. 1874.