My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tuxedo versus Black suit

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor
Sounds like attendance has always been an issue, at least in the lodge mentioned. Maybe there's no way around it....
Many of our US rituals actually tell Masons they only need attend on convenient occasions (as in the grand lodge mentioned). UGLE Lodges have much better attendance in my experience. There is a cultural expectation that one attend. In the US, I have not perceived that to be an expectation.

CLewey44

Many of our US rituals actually tell Masons they only need attend on convenient occasions (as in the grand lodge mentioned). UGLE Lodges have much better attendance in my experience. There is a cultural expectation that one attend. In the US, I have not perceived that to be an expectation.

I remember it being 'advertised' as not ever conflicting with personal things and this and that, which is true, but then again if you don't attend you don't get much from it I've found out. Or at least expand beyond BL to find what is your best fit. I remember telling my wife I'd only have to go once a month or so and even that's optional. That is true but the first few months required more study and then when you get pulled into an officer position or something like you're really expected to attend.

CLewey44

I think I told my wife that as well. Fast forward 10 years when I did 160 in one calendar year.

If I was out 160 days in a year doing Masonic duties, I'd be looking for me an apartment by about the 50th or 60th day lol. Kudos to you though. I think a lot of guys secretly want to be that involved but due to other obligations aren't able or really allowed to.

LK600

Premium Member
Would much rather be overdressed than under dressed.

I suppose so, me to. But whether it's better or not depends on your goal. If dressing up shows your respect for the Craft, than absolutely. If being on the level with your brothers is the main goal, than over /under dressed would both be equally inappropriate.

Warrior1256

Site Benefactor
But whether it's better or not depends on your goal. If dressing up shows your respect for the Craft, than absolutely. If being on the level with your brothers is the main goal, than over /under dressed would both be equally inappropriate.
True, but I would rather be dressed in a suit and tie and everyone else in golf shirt and slacks than the other way around.

hanzosbm

Premium Member
Funny that I came back across this discussion today. The missing parts of my white tie ensemble arrived in the mail last night (next stop, trying to find a tailor who can take direction because none of them understand formal dress). Our lodge performs degrees and installations in white tie for the officers (although, we recognize financial limitations and allow tux or black suit if a brother can't swing higher) and business in coat and tie for all.