US Navy

Discussion in 'Freemasons in the Military' started by mikecav, Apr 13, 2013.

1. dfreybur

dfreybur Premium Member

I'll wait another decade or so and see how the unified Canadian Armed Forces go.

We tend to not learn lessons from Canada so I doubt their experiences are going to matter. They minted tons of dollar coins, stopped printing dollar bills, within a year everyone was happy with the result. In the US instead we drove for bill readers in vending machines ignoring the real world experience in Canada. Sadly typical US response when Canada tries something that works. That particular example in only short term given the move towards electronic cash but the concept works exactly for other issues like their unified military.

I like the separate traditions involved in having at least 7 separate armed forces but it gets ridiculous. I don't even know what nickname to call Merchant Marine or NOAA guys when I buy them a beer at a bar identifying myself as a former squid.

But merging the Marines into the Army? Hey those are our green guys. We blue guys don't want to part with them. You green guys already split off the light blue guys back in 1948 so splitting off branches is an old and noble tradition. We can't, you know, be like those Canadians. United we may stand but there is strength in diversity. No making sense, not allowed.

2. Ripcord22A

Ripcord22A Site Benefactor

I didn't know that Canada did that. Also Merchant Marines and NOAA aren't part of DoD. the coast guard isn't either but they kinda are...they still have to go through MEPS to join. CG is actually part of Homeland Security...used to be under Dept Of transportation..hahaha....I love giving those guys shit for that!

3. Winter

Winter Premium Member

I served in the USAF and then US Army. Seeing the vastly different cultures was a shock at times. I never understood why we couldn't just have one American armed forces with a land branch, a water branch, and an air branch. Regardless of what you actually call them. Think of the taxpayer savings by not having overlapping missions or duplicated resources. As well, one chain of command, one supply chain, one basic training pipeline. Unfortunately, the military is like Freemasonry in many respects where good ideas are often trumped by the inviolability of "tradition".

Transmitted via my R5 astromech.

Ripcord22A likes this.
  4. Brother JC

Brother JC Vigilant Staff Member

Most of our air strength is on the water, so it makes for a tough split. Doug's plan to give the Flying Circus to the Canoe Club makes a lot of sense.

Ripcord22A likes this.
  5. Winter

Winter Premium Member

There would be no split. With one armed forces, it wouldn't matter if aircraft were based on land or water. Some aircraft would be based on land, some on ships and some on helicarriers. Lol. But my point was the advantage of not having multiple branches competing for funding that have similar missions.

Brother JC and Ripcord22A like this.
  6. R. Jacques Johnson

R. Jacques Johnson Registered User

I served in the United States Navy from 1988-2000. I entered as a Nuclear Machinist Mate and exited as a Hull Maintenance Technician, NDT Inspector. I have 3 uncles that were navy and my grandfather who was also a 33rd degree Prince Hall mason.

7. Warrior1256

Warrior1256 Site Benefactor

Does USMC count? All of my paychecks were from the Dept. of the Navy, Lol.

dfreybur likes this.
  8. KLLaughman66

KLLaughman66 Registered User

Retired USN CPO here, but just recently began my Masonic journey.

Glen Cook likes this.
  9. appzdude

appzdude Registered User

My dad was an original plank owner on USS New Jersey. I have his WWII War Log. He was not a Mason but I am.

Paul Adams
    JPM, Buda Lodge #800, GL of Texas

Last edited: Sep 10, 2016
  10. Quentin Lawson

Quentin Lawson Registered User

Are there any recruiters in Texas? I'm looking to enlist but I feel more comfortable being recruited by a brother.

11. Ripcord22A

Im in new mexico and im Army....join the Army. Only Branch to fully guarentee your contract before u sign a contract....also who wants to ride on something long and hard a be called a seaman....lol

Bloke likes this.
  12. Quentin Lawson

Quentin Lawson Registered User

Lmfao! Do you happen to have any recruiter connections in east Texas?

13. Ripcord22A

I don't Brother, but if you have any questions feel free to pm me

14. KLLaughman66

KLLaughman66 Registered User

Retired YNC (SS/SW) here.

15. Companion Joe

Companion Joe Premium Member

Welcome, Chief.

16. Companion Joe

Did anyone else happen to see the story about the Navy doing away with the rating system? Everyone is just going to be PO so-and-so. They said the names of the rates were outdated and weren't inclusive enough because so many of them end with "man." Are you freakin kidding me? Where will it end?

17. drw72

drw72 Premium Member

Yep, a NAVADMIN was released last week along with a video from the CNO & MCPON announcing the changes. Effective immediately all sailors will be addressed by their rank only (seaman, petty officer, chief, etc) the rate designations will be phased out over the next couple of years and replaced with "Navy Occupational Specialty" designations (like my old rate GSE will now become B121).

They also combined the fireman, seaman, and airman rank titles to just 'seaman' so all E3 and below will be addressed as 'Seaman' Schmuckatelli.

Yes, it is all part of the whole PC thing.....241 years of tradition tossed overboard for political correctness and gender neutrality.

Don't even get me started on the mandated transgender sensitivity training (released prior to the rate change).

18. Companion Joe

I'm glad I was part of the world's greatest Navy instead of today. I wouldn't have made it. Part of the reason I got out in '93 is because I saw the writing on the wall.

19. Winter

Winter Premium Member

Every other branch only addresses people by their rank. I don't see the big deal. But change is never easy and people get upset if they think traditions are being discarded. Surprisingly, I have seen very little outrage from Navy folk on social media.

20. Ripcord22A

Im not in the Navy but doing away with the rates makes sense to me...also its no more gender neutral now cause its still "seaMAN" which is what ever non navy personnel called sailors anyway.

Bro. Henry Ndibe likes this.

Share My Freemasonry