US Navy

Discussion in 'Freemasons in the Military' started by mikecav, Apr 13, 2013.

1. Glenn Dumlao

Glenn Dumlao Registered User

Any brothers currently stationed at Fort Sam Houston Texas?

2. Brother Jones

Brother Jones Premium Member

MA3 stationed in Souda Bay, Greece

Phoenix Lodge #428
    MWPHGL of Alabama

Sent from my iPhone using My Freemasonry

3. txraisedboy

txraisedboy Premium Member

Currently on board the USS NIMITZ deployed.

4. Ripcord22A

Ripcord22A Site Benefactor

Really bugz me how the Navy calls floating out in the caribian a "deployment"....Thats not a a deployment....

Sent from my LG-H918 using My Freemasonry mobile app

5. txraisedboy

txraisedboy Premium Member

Come on now, I wish we were floating out in the middle of the Caribbean. That would be the life. Lol.

the_widows_son and Ripcord22A like this.
  6. Brandon T Cole ᎡᏙᎰᎢ

Brandon T Cole ᎡᏙᎰᎢ Registered User

I'm currently getting in shape in order to enlist into the Navy. So, pre-pre-Navy, I guess?

Sent from my XT1094 using My Freemasonry mobile app

7. RayverInColorado

RayverInColorado Registered User

Bravo Zulu, Shipmate.

Sent from my iPad using My Freemasonry mobile app

8. Ripcord22A

Why Navy?

9. Brandon T Cole ᎡᏙᎰᎢ

They'll pay for law school (USAF won't), they generally seem to have nicer bases then the Army and the Corps, and my father-in-law is an LC, so I have someone in the family whom I can ask advice when necessary.

10. Ripcord22A

Welp if creature comforts is what u want im sure the bowels of a ship are as nice as it gets....also al branches get the post 911 GI Bill that will pay for school

the_widows_son likes this.
  11. Brandon T Cole ᎡᏙᎰᎢ

The comfort of a nicer base is for my wife. :)

USAF recruiter told me that, though the GI Bill will pay for law school, I cannot use it while active. Navy will send sailors to school while they are active, if I understood the Navy recruiter correctly.

12. Winter

Winter Premium Member

Recruiters lie. It's their job. LoL. Whatever they promise, no matter how trivial, get it in writing. If they won't put it in writing, you probably won't get it and you will have no recourse. I served in two branches. Trust me on this one.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

drw72 and Warrior1256 like this.
  13. Brandon T Cole ᎡᏙᎰᎢ

My dad's an attorney, so I grew up learning to get everything in writing. Thanks for the advice, though :)

14. Warrior1256

Warrior1256 Site Benefactor

ABSOLUTELY!!!!! I learned this the hard way!!!!

the_widows_son likes this.
  15. Ripcord22A

It's not our job. The "if a recruiters lips are moving" line is one thing but to flat out say it's our job is nonsense. Especially in the day and age of google. I've literally had a mom fact checking me while I was speaking with her son. It was quite satisfying that she was trying "catch me" and couldn't.
    Also the recruiter doesn't put anything in writing that's done at MEPS.
    And yes you can use the GI bill while active. also all branches get 4K of tuition assistance per fiscal year that's separate from the gi bill to use while serving if you need more there's FAFSA and the GI Bill.
    All branches have nice and not so nice bases. and as for "nicer bases" I've been on bases of all 4 branches and the coast guard, and the Army hands down has the nicer bases. Ft Bliss has the largest PX complex in DoD with a multiple screen movie theatre. The Army is the largest branch of service so our ability to advance is higher. See the chart in the link. Navy has us beat for e2 and e9 but only 1% make 9 anyways.
    Also the Army is THE only branch that guarantees 100% of our contracts in writing. Meaning when you sign your contract you know exactly what job and how long said contract is going to be for. We are not aloud to do open or career field contracts like the other branches are. Imagine signing a contract to be in the Navy as what they call a nonRate, no specific job, unable to promote, after a year you take a test to earn a rate, fail it? Get one more shot, fail that....there's the door thanks for playing. No rates available that you want? Oh well pick one that is or...yup you guessed it....there's the door.

I'm not bashing any branch it just grinds my gears when someone chooses a branch based on how nice and or easy they preceive said branch to be and not on what jobs or opportunities are there. If someone wants to work in the Nuke field...Navy all day long, work on jets again Navy, crew a c5 cargo plane...USAF. Fly something with out a college degree? Army, shoot stuff? Army drive a tank? Army. speak a foreign language? Army. Spec Ops Army. Cyber warfare? Army. Medical? Army. All these things that people think only apply to the "softer"services is nonsense. There are some jobs as mentioned above that the Army can't touch but for every job that the other branches have we have more of them and a higher propensity to advance in rank. The Army has more aircraft then the AF and more watercraft then the Navy. Right now the MC is offering a 5k bonus for a 6 yr infantry contract, the Army is offering 40k for a 4 yr intel contract.....ijs.....

Do your research. Also don't rely on a family member for advice as their time in is going to be vastly different then what you are experiencing. I've been in 14 years and it's a different Army then when I joined, then it was 10, 5, even 3 yrs ago. Good luck. But if you go with the Navy I'm sure you are in pleanty good enough shape....lol

http://www.military.com/benefits/2013/12/05/promotion-rate-disparities-impact-total-career-pay.html

16. CLewey44

CLewey44 Registered User

Brother, I don't know much at all about U.S.A., U.S.C.G., U.S.N. or U.S.M.C. but I'm former (recently) U.S.A.F. active duty and reservist the last several years if you have any questions about them, just PM me.

17. Brandon T Cole ᎡᏙᎰᎢ

Thank you, Brother.

18. Warrior1256

I apologize Rip. Didn't mean to offend you by agreeing with Winter Bro. I'm sure that some, maybe even most, recruiters are honest. Mine wasn't.

19. Ripcord22A

No offense but my question to you....and I know your situation was 20+yrs ago.....did you read the contract before signing and make sure that what your recruiter told you was in there? I tell all my recruits to make sure that what we have talked about is there, and remind them it might not be and that if they aren't happy to not sign and call me.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2017
    Glen Cook likes this.
  20. Warrior1256

Nope, sure didn't. Took him at his word. My fault.

Share My Freemasonry