My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

US Navy

Welp if creature comforts is what u want im sure the bowels of a ship are as nice as it gets....also al branches get the post 911 GI Bill that will pay for school

Sent from my LG-H918 using My Freemasonry mobile app
The comfort of a nicer base is for my wife. :)

USAF recruiter told me that, though the GI Bill will pay for law school, I cannot use it while active. Navy will send sailors to school while they are active, if I understood the Navy recruiter correctly.

Sent from my XT1094 using My Freemasonry mobile app

Winter

Premium Member
The comfort of a nicer base is for my wife. :)

USAF recruiter told me that, though the GI Bill will pay for law school, I cannot use it while active. Navy will send sailors to school while they are active, if I understood the Navy recruiter correctly.

Recruiters lie. It's their job. LoL. Whatever they promise, no matter how trivial, get it in writing. If they won't put it in writing, you probably won't get it and you will have no recourse. I served in two branches. Trust me on this one.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Recruiters lie. It's their job. LoL. Whatever they promise, no matter how trivial, get it in writing. If they won't put it in writing, you probably won't get it and you will have no recourse. I served in two branches. Trust me on this one.

My dad's an attorney, so I grew up learning to get everything in writing. Thanks for the advice, though :)

Ripcord22A

Site Benefactor

It's not our job. The "if a recruiters lips are moving" line is one thing but to flat out say it's our job is nonsense. Especially in the day and age of google. I've literally had a mom fact checking me while I was speaking with her son. It was quite satisfying that she was trying "catch me" and couldn't.
Also the recruiter doesn't put anything in writing that's done at MEPS.
And yes you can use the GI bill while active. also all branches get 4K of tuition assistance per fiscal year that's separate from the gi bill to use while serving if you need more there's FAFSA and the GI Bill.
All branches have nice and not so nice bases. and as for "nicer bases" I've been on bases of all 4 branches and the coast guard, and the Army hands down has the nicer bases. Ft Bliss has the largest PX complex in DoD with a multiple screen movie theatre. The Army is the largest branch of service so our ability to advance is higher. See the chart in the link. Navy has us beat for e2 and e9 but only 1% make 9 anyways.
Also the Army is THE only branch that guarantees 100% of our contracts in writing. Meaning when you sign your contract you know exactly what job and how long said contract is going to be for. We are not aloud to do open or career field contracts like the other branches are. Imagine signing a contract to be in the Navy as what they call a nonRate, no specific job, unable to promote, after a year you take a test to earn a rate, fail it? Get one more shot, fail that....there's the door thanks for playing. No rates available that you want? Oh well pick one that is or...yup you guessed it....there's the door.

I'm not bashing any branch it just grinds my gears when someone chooses a branch based on how nice and or easy they preceive said branch to be and not on what jobs or opportunities are there. If someone wants to work in the Nuke field...Navy all day long, work on jets again Navy, crew a c5 cargo plane...USAF. Fly something with out a college degree? Army, shoot stuff? Army drive a tank? Army. speak a foreign language? Army. Spec Ops Army. Cyber warfare? Army. Medical? Army. All these things that people think only apply to the "softer"services is nonsense. There are some jobs as mentioned above that the Army can't touch but for every job that the other branches have we have more of them and a higher propensity to advance in rank. The Army has more aircraft then the AF and more watercraft then the Navy. Right now the MC is offering a 5k bonus for a 6 yr infantry contract, the Army is offering 40k for a 4 yr intel contract.....ijs.....

Do your research. Also don't rely on a family member for advice as their time in is going to be vastly different then what you are experiencing. I've been in 14 years and it's a different Army then when I joined, then it was 10, 5, even 3 yrs ago. Good luck. But if you go with the Navy I'm sure you are in pleanty good enough shape....lol

http://www.military.com/benefits/2013/12/05/promotion-rate-disparities-impact-total-career-pay.html

CLewey44

My dad's an attorney, so I grew up learning to get everything in writing. Thanks for the advice, though :)

Brother, I don't know much at all about U.S.A., U.S.C.G., U.S.N. or U.S.M.C. but I'm former (recently) U.S.A.F. active duty and reservist the last several years if you have any questions about them, just PM me.

Warrior1256

Site Benefactor
It's not our job. The "if a recruiters lips are moving" line is one thing but to flat out say it's our job is nonsense.
I apologize Rip. Didn't mean to offend you by agreeing with Winter Bro. I'm sure that some, maybe even most, recruiters are honest. Mine wasn't.

Ripcord22A

Site Benefactor
I apologize Rip. Didn't mean to offend you by agreeing with Winter Bro. I'm sure that some, maybe even most, recruiters are honest. Mine wasn't.
No offense but my question to you....and I know your situation was 20+yrs ago.....did you read the contract before signing and make sure that what your recruiter told you was in there? I tell all my recruits to make sure that what we have talked about is there, and remind them it might not be and that if they aren't happy to not sign and call me.

Last edited:

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor
They'll pay for law school (USAF won't), they generally seem to have nicer bases then the Army and the Corps, and my father-in-law is an LC, so I have someone in the family whom I can ask advice when necessary.

Just to clarify, the Navy Law School Education program is competitive, and requires a payback afterwards.

FWIW, I always s found AF bases to be nicer.

The point about advice is well taken. My one son is a medical LCDR. Somethings I can give advice on. Others I’m a no-go, due to both time and designator.