My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Usage of the different Sq&C symbols

RhushidaK

Hello brethren. I am into digital designing as a part of my hobbies. I have designed a pic that I would like to use in different online places. However, I am not yet raised, and am a 2nd degree Freemason. So that would mean I cannot wear the Master Mason Square & Compass.

However, since the symbol is just made of lines, the points of the compass and the square intersect, thus being able to form the Square and Compass of all three degrees at the same time, depending on how one looks at it. My GL (Grand Lodge of India) has no rules on EA or FC wearing the Sq&C.

So can I use such a Sq&C symbol?

CLewey44

I would think most definitely so. I actually found an EA, FC and MM lapel on Amazon before. I think you are a full blown Mason as an EA as you are a 33rd degree SR Mason. You are a brother either way. You have yet to receive full Rs, Ls and Bs but a symbol that reflects your current degree in my opinion would be completely acceptable.

Bloke

Premium Member
Hello brethren. I am into digital designing as a part of my hobbies. I have designed a pic that I would like to use in different online places. However, I am not yet raised, and am a 2nd degree Freemason. So that would mean I cannot wear the Master Mason Square & Compass.

However, since the symbol is just made of lines, the points of the compass and the square intersect, thus being able to form the Square and Compass of all three degrees at the same time, depending on how one looks at it. My GL (Grand Lodge of India) has no rules on EA or FC wearing the Sq&C.

So can I use such a Sq&C symbol?

I'd there is no rule in your Jurisdiction.... then go for it I say :) buy it might upset some Americans

RhushidaK

Thank you brethren. I have posted the same thing on a facebook group, and yes there are indeed upset brethren. So I guess it's better for now to wait until I am raised. :)

Warrior1256

Site Benefactor
Thank you brethren. I have posted the same thing on a facebook group, and yes there are indeed upset brethren. So I guess it's better for now to wait until I am raised. :)
I'm a relatively new MM but here in Kentucky you're not supposed to wear or display the S&C until you are an MM. I think that this is the rule of thumb throughout the U.S.

CLewey44

Right on Ripcord, I'd definitely stick with the corresponding degree. I see no harm in that either.

Bloke

Premium Member
I can't recall, but your grand lodge displays the S&C one way only and that an EA, FC and MM can wear that same symbol?
Yes, the EA, FC and MM under UGLV all wear what American Jurisdictions (and we if we were thinking) would describe as the MM Badge... Not much notice is given outside the lodge to different configurations of the S&C

Reactions: MBC

Bro. Stewart P.M.

Lead Moderator Emeritus
Staff Member
Brethren, I do believe the answer to this question fall within the old statement, "when in Rome, do as Romans".

If the usage of the Square & Compasses in the "common" positioning is approved for usage by EA-FC-MM in your Grand Jurisdiction, then go for it. We outsiders really have no dog in the hunt. I can tell you that I was always instructed that you better be prepared to prove yourself "on the street" if you plan to wear or display the symbol, and yes it makes sense to be able to do so.

Under the GLoTX many years back, 2007 to be exact, the Grand Master at the time created lapel pins for all Texas Masons to wear his year as they were advancing through their degree work. As I recall this indeed upset a few of the "old guard" briefly, but it made the younger brethren feel more a part of the larger fraternity that previously prohibited/discouraged the symbolism usage by any degree lessor than a Master Mason. I do find it important to note that the Grand Master had these lapel pins created with the Square & Compasses formed in the proper degree positioning for each level, and only those particular pins were approved for wearing. This practice was not continued after 2007. As I recall this was also the same year that the GLoTX voted to allow the conduction of business in any degree (EA-FC-MM), this practice has continued though today.

I have, and did, wear all three of these 2007 lapel pins. This was the time when I joined this great Fraternity. I had the PGM autograph the display of my pins the evening he installed me as Worshipful Master of my mother Lodge a short few years ago.

Brother_Steve

Premium Member
American MMs wear what is considered an EA apron in much of the world, but you don't see those other countries telling them how wrong they are. If your GL says you can wear something, then wear it.
We wear white regardless of degree but EA, FC and MM have specific ways of wearing it. I wonder why the European apron never transferred over to American masonry as that is where our roots hail from. At least my state it does.

CLewey44

We wear white regardless of degree but EA, FC and MM have specific ways of wearing it. I wonder why the European apron never transferred over to American masonry as that is where our roots hail from. At least my state it does.

I agree. The European aprons are really beautiful.

Bloke

Premium Member
It's a good question...American aprons are obviously cheaper (but we fund our own aprons, so it kinda does not matter..).. I wonder if that was a factor...but, again, a good question and one I've never read an article on...

Brother_Steve

Premium Member
It's a good question...American aprons are obviously cheaper (but we fund our own aprons, so it kinda does not matter..).. I wonder if that was a factor...but, again, a good question and one I've never read an article on...
I wonder if it is ritual based? We have an apron presentation which specifies color and then the candidates are instructed how to wear it during each degree.

Warrior1256

Site Benefactor
I wonder if it is ritual based? We have an apron presentation which specifies color and then the candidates are instructed how to wear it during each degree.
I'm a fairly new MM so please excuse me if this is a dumb question but this just occured to me. Do each of the degrees wear the apron different throughout the world or, in other places in the world, do the different degree apron simply have different designs or whatever? This may have been addressed other times on this forum but, if so, I don't recall.

dfreybur

Premium Member
I'm a fairly new MM so please excuse me if this is a dumb question but this just occured to me. Do each of the degrees wear the apron different throughout the world or, in other places in the world, do the different degree apron simply have different designs or whatever? This may have been addressed other times on this forum but, if so, I don't recall.

US answer -

In my 3 jurisdictions the EA and MM Brothers wear there aprons the same way. In each of my 3 jurisdictions the FC Brothers wear their aprons in a slightly different way.

Seeing photos of MM events around the world there are all sorts of variations.