Wearing the S&C in Public

Discussion in 'General Freemasonry Discussion' started by RHS, Mar 15, 2013.

1. RHS

RHS Registered User

Nope.... For your own benefit really! Await the time with patience! :)

RHS

Freemason Connect Premium App

2. DJGurkins

DJGurkins Floresville #515 Premium Member

That's is what I thought. I am Native and have always been taught if you don't completely understand a symbol you shouldn't use it in any way.

3. crono782

crono782 Premium Member

Same. My lodge (as most US lodges would I expect) strongly discourage it. They really just say don't do it. You'll have a hard time finding an EA or FC emblem or ring out there anyway, though I have seen them. Like bro Upton said above, you'd not have a complete knowledge of what you were wearing yet. Consider this also: it is an outward symbol and you may attract both positive and negative responses by wearing it. Would you possess the knowledge to rebut bad responses and provide insightful information for those interested in joining?

Last edited: Mar 18, 2013
  4. Brent Heilman

Brent Heilman Premium Member

I have masonic license plates on my car, I wear a ring daily, a S&C ball cap occasionally, I have a S&C lapel pin on just about every jacket I own, and on my desk at work is a paperweight with the 14th degree ring in it.

I am conscious of the fact that I associate myself with the Fraternity each and every day through these various ways so I do my best to represent the Fraternity in the best light possible. Some days it is hard to circumscribe my passions, but I do my best.

5. jwhoff

jwhoff Premium Member

Ring
    Masonic and Scottish Rite emblems on car

6. rpbrown

rpbrown Premium Member

Ring--always
    Masonic license plates-truck and motorcycle
    Shirt--On occasion
    Vest-- when on motorcycle or horse
    Emlem on wifes SUV.

7. Bill Hosler

Bill Hosler Registered User

I occasionally wear my ring. I wear a S&C hat or my Past Master hat a lot. I also have a few Masonic shirts. I also have a Masonic license plate. I am going to get a Texas Masonic plate when I register my car here.

8. appzdude

appzdude Registered User

I wear my ring every day and have TX Mason plates. Wear my lodge ball cap occasionally.

9. QPZIL

QPZIL Premium Member

I wear my Triple Tau ring and have a Mark Master keystone necklace, though that stays under my shirt. I also have a S&C decal and Triple Tau decal on my car. And sometimes I wear my Gate City Lodge shirt. Oh, and I may get a Masonic tattoo before long :)

10. K.S.

K.S. Registered User

I wear a ring daily, I had an emblem on my truck, but somebody pried it off and stole it, probably the same hater who spray painted with green paint over my NRA sticker.

11. texasmason791

texasmason791 Registered User

When I was initiated it was highly discouraged. I would get your JW to look it up in his law book or have your secretary check with Grand Lodge.

12. BroBill

BroBill Site Benefactor Site Benefactor

Keep in mind, the emblem differs for EA, FC, and MM, so you really cannot wear an S&C for a degree where you have not completed the work and been "accepted" by the brethren as holding that degree level. There are EA and FC S&C's, but the goal is to move through those degrees quickly and achieve your MM. Once you achieve the next degree level, the EA and FC S&C's become obsolete.

13. dfreybur

dfreybur Premium Member

The S&C are the symbol of a Master Mason in nearly all jurisdictions. Please wait.

I wear my belt buckle and PM ring daily. My car has a "Proud to be a Shriner" license plate frame.

On days I'll go to lodge I tend to wear more to work that morning so today I have symbols on my tie bar and cufflinks.

14. towerbuilder7

towerbuilder7 Moderator Premium Member

I am a Policeman, (16 year Patrol Sgt.), so I dont wear jewelry on duty for obvious reasons. However, when off duty, I wear my Masonic Ring, and Tee Shirts/Polos on occasion when at the gym, or out with my family at the movies or restaurant........I am conscious of where I wear my Masonic shirts also.....Obviously, a night out for a cold adult beverage with the fellas wouldn't be a good time to wear the S&C on a shirt........I also have the S&C decal on the back of my Suburban.................Bro Jones

15. Bro. Kilpatrick

Bro. Kilpatrick Registered User

I wear my Masonic ring daily. I also have the S&C on the back of my truck.

16. Vitriol Knight

Vitriol Knight Registered User

I'm not "working" in Texas; the general public opinion may be different where you are. Personally while we have thousands of Masons in PA I have found some decidedly discriminatory behavior from certain people. I have clents that have some hardcore religious affiliations and traditions of which I know that if they found out I am a mason I would be at best case regarded differently. Pretty much I keep a low profile and probably less then 10 non-brothers know that I am a mason. Although I do have the Scottish Rite Birds on my vehicles I generally don't advertise. I do at times wear a York Rite Yod ring but mostly only brothers wod know the symbol. Masonry for me is mostly a personal journey anyways and I prefer to not have to answer questions.
    I do appreciate everybody else who identifies themselves and always take the time to say hello.
    Also keep in mind that when you wear the colors you represent freemasonry around the world both past present and in the future so.....
    While we should never be ashamed of our affiliation; remember the forget me not flower had a true purpose.

17. Vitriol Knight

Vitriol Knight Registered User

Yeah unless you can find a set of decals with Compass under Square.

18. RedTemplar

RedTemplar Johnny Joe Combs Premium Member

I would never wear the S&C into any place that I would be ashamed to to take or find my wife, mother, daughter, or sister.

AndreAshlar likes this.
  19. widows son

widows son Premium Member

I'm not ashamed at all. I wear my ring 24/7 and always tell people I'm a mason when asked.

20. Bro. Kilpatrick

Bro. Kilpatrick Registered User

I strongly agree widows son. I wear my ring 24/7 very proudly. I am definitely not ashamed. I am very proud to tell someone that I am a mason if asked.

Share My Freemasonry