My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What not to say...

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor
It would be the current GM's call. I would approve of this again today if he were to consult me.

MarkR

Premium Member
On the original question, the symbols mentioned are all explained in the Minnesota Masonic Manual, which is available in PDF format on the GL web site for anyone to download. So, at least in Minnesota, it's perfectly okay to discuss them with anybody.

nixxon2000

Premium Member
In wisconsin you can discuss anything except the signs, grips, and passwords.

The principal symbols taught throughout masonry if discussed with others might help to get people to understand what we really do and believe.

Sent From My Freemasonry Pro App

Warrior1256

Site Benefactor
Being a new MM I am VERY selective about what I discuss with a non-Mason. I'll loosen up once I learn my way around.

GKA

Premium Member
I direct your attention to app. page 80 of the monitor wherein the GM elect kneels for the benefit of prayer and to take his official obligation.

Acacia Lodge 17, F&AM of Utah.2001. I do not recollect the hospital. The brother was terminally ill. In Utah only an MM may have a Masonic funeral (a whole other discussion). Dispensation was received to confer a degree in his hospital room.

That seems extremely out of order, the conferral of a degree is much more than an obligation or the exchange of secret handshakes and tokens.
The reason for a properly tyled lodge is universal in the fraternity. I am amazed that any GL would allow such deviation from protocol regardless of the circumstances.

GKA

Premium Member
GKA said:
"handshakes AND tokens"

Based on his statement it appears that he is not, but it may be some secret or wisdom "above my station" that he learned in "Stellar Theology and Masonic Astronomy". ;- )

I deserve that one for sure :)

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor
That seems extremely out of order, the conferral of a degree is much more than an obligation or the exchange of secret handshakes and tokens.
The reason for a properly tyled lodge is universal in the fraternity. I am amazed that any GL would allow such deviation from protocol regardless of the circumstances.
As you gain more experience, you will find that very little is "universal" in the fraternity.

Bro. Stewart P.M.

Lead Moderator Emeritus
Staff Member
Here is the general rule of thumb...

If it is taught mouth to ear... don't write it here...

The same applies in discussion outside of this site. It's a pretty simple little saying that I use to keep me on track.

Zack

My rule of thumb is if something is encoded it is not for general consumption. About 80% of my ritual, mol, is encoded.

Brother_Steve

Premium Member
In many areas of the US, Masters and Grand Masters take their obligations in public. In England only PMs can be present at the enthronement of the WM.
New Jersey qualifies the incoming WM in a Lodge of Past Masters. This is where the secrets of a PM are given to him. He is then installed in a private or public installation of his choosing.

Fun fact: The Worshipful Master becomes a Past Master the moment his butt hits the seat when he is installed in New Jersey and wears his apron when traveling.

dfreybur

Premium Member
Fun fact: The Worshipful Master becomes a Past Master the moment his butt hits the seat when he is installed in New Jersey and wears his apron when traveling.

That's technically true in my jurisdictions as well but I didn't get my apron until I was "out"stalled. So far the only visiting installed VMs I've seen wearing a PM apron have been brothers who have completed at least one year in the east. I look forward to seeing this variation at some point.

Wears apron when traveling?

I carry my PM apron in a brief case in the trunk of my car and wear it most times I visit.

Brother_Steve

Premium Member
That's technically true in my jurisdictions as well but I didn't get my apron until I was "out"stalled. So far the only visiting installed VMs I've seen wearing a PM apron have been brothers who have completed at least one year in the east. I look forward to seeing this variation at some point.
We buy our incoming master a PM apron. I do not know if every lodge in NJ does that for their incoming master but a WM is supposed to wear his/a purple apron when he visits another lodge.