What not to say...

Discussion in 'Frequently Asked Questions' started by R4M1R0, Aug 3, 2013.

1. Glen Cook

Glen Cook G A Cook Site Benefactor

It would be the current GM's call. I would approve of this again today if he were to consult me.

2. MarkR

MarkR Premium Member

On the original question, the symbols mentioned are all explained in the Minnesota Masonic Manual, which is available in PDF format on the GL web site for anyone to download. So, at least in Minnesota, it's perfectly okay to discuss them with anybody.

3. nixxon2000

nixxon2000 Premium Member

In wisconsin you can discuss anything except the signs, grips, and passwords.

The principal symbols taught throughout masonry if discussed with others might help to get people to understand what we really do and believe.

Sent From My Freemasonry Pro App

AmigoKZ likes this.
  4. Warrior1256

Warrior1256 Site Benefactor

Being a new MM I am VERY selective about what I discuss with a non-Mason. I'll loosen up once I learn my way around.

5. GKA

GKA Premium Member

That seems extremely out of order, the conferral of a degree is much more than an obligation or the exchange of secret handshakes and tokens.
    The reason for a properly tyled lodge is universal in the fraternity. I am amazed that any GL would allow such deviation from protocol regardless of the circumstances.

6. Levelhead

Levelhead Premium Member

Are you familiar with what a "Token" even is?

Sent from Mossy Oak Swamp Bottom.

7. GKA

GKA Premium Member

Seriously ?

8. Levelhead

Levelhead Premium Member

Yes.

Sent from Mossy Oak Swamp Bottom.

9. LAMason

LAMason Premium Member

GKA said:
    "handshakes AND tokens"

Based on his statement it appears that he is not, but it may be some secret or wisdom "above my station" that he learned in "Stellar Theology and Masonic Astronomy". ;- )

Glen Cook and Levelhead like this.
  10. GKA

GKA Premium Member

I deserve that one for sure :)

11. Glen Cook

As you gain more experience, you will find that very little is "universal" in the fraternity.

MarkR likes this.
  12. Glen Cook

Yes

Levelhead likes this.
  13. GKA

GKA Premium Member

Poly-Grip :)

coachn and Blake Bowden like this.
  14. Bro. Stewart P.M.

Bro. Stewart P.M. Lead Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Here is the general rule of thumb...

If it is taught mouth to ear... don't write it here...

The same applies in discussion outside of this site. It's a pretty simple little saying that I use to keep me on track.

15. Zack

Zack Registered User

My rule of thumb is if something is encoded it is not for general consumption. About 80% of my ritual, mol, is encoded.

Buckeye likes this.
  16. Brother_Steve

Brother_Steve Premium Member

New Jersey qualifies the incoming WM in a Lodge of Past Masters. This is where the secrets of a PM are given to him. He is then installed in a private or public installation of his choosing.

Fun fact: The Worshipful Master becomes a Past Master the moment his butt hits the seat when he is installed in New Jersey and wears his apron when traveling.

17. BroBook

BroBook Premium Member

Wears apron when traveling?

18. dfreybur

dfreybur Premium Member

That's technically true in my jurisdictions as well but I didn't get my apron until I was "out"stalled. So far the only visiting installed VMs I've seen wearing a PM apron have been brothers who have completed at least one year in the east. I look forward to seeing this variation at some point.

I carry my PM apron in a brief case in the trunk of my car and wear it most times I visit.

19. dfreybur

dfreybur Premium Member

Duplicate post deleted.

20. Brother_Steve

Brother_Steve Premium Member

We buy our incoming master a PM apron. I do not know if every lodge in NJ does that for their incoming master but a WM is supposed to wear his/a purple apron when he visits another lodge.

Warrior1256 and dfreybur like this.

Share My Freemasonry