What started/sparked your interest in going through the chairs

Discussion in 'Your Masonic Story' started by Benjamin Baxter, Jan 30, 2013.

1. Bloke

Bloke Premium Member

I became an inner guard for one reason - the lodge needed me to... then I worked through the officers and was keen to take the chair to effect some positive change... as a PM I spend a lot of time encouraging the hell out of MMs to support the lodge and to see their own self development by going through all the chairs including the one on the East.

2. rpbrown

rpbrown Premium Member

When I became a MM, most of our lodge was made up of PM's, however, I was part of a "younger" crowd coming in. By that, I mean we had 12 MM's raised in a 2 year period. After I was raised, our WM asked me to fill a different chair for absent officers each stated meeting. The following year, I was asked to become the Marshal in which I accepted. I have since moved through the chairs and am now sitting in the East. The "youth movement" that was going on slowed and some have moved away but others are now going through the chairs. FWIW, we are now having another growth spurt of "younger" Masons.

***By younger, I mean younger in Masonry, not age as I am now, lets say, over 60. But we are having some younger men come in as well.

3. Derinique Kendrick

Derinique Kendrick Registered User

Both, the individual brother as well as the lodge benefits from going through the chairs in my opinion.

AndreAshlar likes this.
  4. dfreybur

dfreybur Premium Member

Brother Derinique,

After you're a PM consider taking the chairs you have not yet been installed in. Save the chairs, collect the whole set. It can give you an added perspective on those PMs sitting in the chairs.

Going through the chairs in the order of the progressive line is like a compressed career from go-fer to CEO of a small company. Going through the chairs in a more random order isn't as organized but it's a worthy service to the lodge.

AndreAshlar likes this.
  5. Warrior1256

Warrior1256 Site Benefactor

Sounds great! Congratulations Brother.

6. Pscyclepath

Pscyclepath Premium Member

Almost immediately after I turned in my Master's proficiency, I was brought back west of the altar and installed as Junior Deacon, to serve out the last six months of the year; our regular JD having quit coming to lodge after the second meting or so. Since then, I've served through each of the chairs and have just started my year in the East. Along the way, I've served in just about every chair, at least on a pro tem basis, and am one of the three or four dozen brothers who have both the blue and red instructor certifications from the GL.

We learn in the Fellowcraft degree that Freemasonry is a "progressive science"... Likewise, going through each chair progressively, not skipping any, is a progressive education in how a lodge runs. As JD, it's a good education in just how the lodge room and the meetings therein function. My year as SD was the time to learn the Ritual and all the floor work. As Junior Warden, I learned the logistics end of things, how to keep the brethren fed and happy, to search the Digest of Laws, and a little bit on the disciplinary end of things. As SW, I learned the operational end... coordinating work and service projects, director of work for degrees and other functions, and trying to find that happy medium of peace and harmony among the brethren and the appendant bodies that share our lodge. And now as Master, you're very much [finanlly] and "overseer of the work," keeping all the plates spinning and mentoring your subordinate officers and other brethren to be able to take your place this time next year...

It's a life-long journey and process. Next year, once out of the East, I'd like to travel a bit more, and spend my efforts helping out in the areas that I've found that I like most in my journey, helping out with the ritual program, and working in the dining hall and kitchens.

We each have our own journeys and experiences, so mileage may vary according to the individual brother...

Tom

Warrior1256 likes this.
  7. Warrior1256

I had a similar experience. Four months after my MM proficiency I was elected to Senior Deacon.
    That it is and I am enjoying it greatly.

8. Derinique Kendrick

Noted, brother! Thanks for the wise counsel!

9. acjohnson53

acjohnson53 Registered User

I want to get to the East...

10. Derinique Kendrick

Likewise, my brother! I believe the majority, If not all of us want to get to that wonderful place!

Warrior1256 likes this.
  11. Warrior1256

Same here.
    Very much agree.

Derinique Kendrick likes this.
  12. acjohnson53

acjohnson53 Registered User

13. mrpierce17

mrpierce17 KOP Council director / Lodge instructor Premium Member

It should be the goal of every MM to one day sit in the East

14. Brother JC

Brother JC Vigilant Staff Member

I disagree. A lodge should be led by someone with excellent leadership skills and a vision, who knows all parts of the ritual. Frankly, that is not "every MM," and is one of the reasons why I'm not a fan of a progressive line.

Bill Lins likes this.
  15. mrpierce17

I did not say that every MM will make it to the East I said it should be every MM goal to one day sit in the East meaning every MM should strive to have all of the qualities you mention above remember the beehive my brother

Derinique Kendrick and Randy81 like this.
  16. Brother JC

Brother JC Vigilant Staff Member

Not every bee can be queen, my Brother.
    I have no allusions regarding the East. I know I will never know all the lectures and have learned from experience that I am a far better advisor than leader. But I'm past my prime...
    I do agree with you when it comes to younger Brethren; give them expansive goals and watch them grow.

17. Bloke

Bloke Premium Member

It's a tough one, but I can say this, as a PM it's my goal to try to develop every brother so he is capable of sitting in the East, but I do agree that not all are.... nor should they be seen as less if they do not aspire to do so....

18. mrpierce17

If you build them they will come lol

19. dfreybur

dfreybur Premium Member

There are many laudable paths towards self improvement. Going through a sequence that emulates a compressed career from go-fer to CEO of a small company is one laudable path towards self improvement.

20. Warrior1256

Very Good!!!!

Share My Freemasonry