Why is it so hard to get Masons to join the Commandery?

Discussion in 'The York Rite' started by David Melear, Mar 12, 2011.

1. MaineMason

MaineMason Registered User

I belong to Chapter and am also Scottish Rite. I am also a Christian of the Episcopalian variety. What I object to when it comes to Commandery is the military aspect. I prefer to keep my Freemasonary and my Christianity separate.

2. MaineMason

RAM myself here also Scottish Rite.

3. Companion Joe

Companion Joe Premium Member

There is no objection to the military aspect in my local bodies. My Blue Lodge is probably 75 veterans. My Commandery is almost entirely veterans. Many of the members are drawn because of the throwback to their days in the service. I have never met a veteran or active duty military person who is not a strong religious man.

MaineMason likes this.
  4. MaineMason

Well, Companion, I'm in chapter but I'm not military. We've got some vets in Blue Lodge but we're not all vets (I have never been in the military). I suspect while we are all Brothers, we might have different feelings.

5. MaineMason

And I should say we have some vets in Chapter, too.

6. Willaim Perkins

Willaim Perkins Registered User

First and foremost, if you are a Christian you should be a 'Yorkie'; thus, Knight Templar.
    Second, yes I am a retired Marine and enjoy the military aspects of the YR, just as I enjoy being a member of my VFW ritual team.
    Third, military and religion are needed together, look at what is happening around you. (Also active political efforts for the American way.)
    Fourth, time is a short commodity these days and the respective YR body should make every effort to work around your schedule, with you doing everything to make it happen.
    Fifth, to keep members coming deemphasize the need to immediately get a uniform.

7. MaineMason

I absolutely, as an American Patriot and a Mason of both the York and the Scottish Rite disagree. The American Way can be described in a lot of ways but it's not up to Masons to do it.

8. Willaim Perkins

Have you forgotten the EA Charge to the Candidate?

9. MarkR

MarkR Premium Member

I am a Christian, and the fact that my non-Christian blue lodge brothers are excluded is one of the reasons I'm NOT interested in KT. Invitational side degrees, okay, but a main degree of a Masonic rite, I'm not okay with.

cacarter likes this.
  10. Willaim Perkins

To each their own, but what gets overlooked is that the Order does not require that you be a Christian, only that you'll defend the Christian Faith.

11. kastonw

kastonw Premium Member

Very true

12. Morris

Morris Premium Member

I pulled this from the KT website under FAQ

How to Become a Knight Templar

To petition a Commandery of Knights Templar or membership, you must first be a member of a Masonic Lodge and other pre-requisite bodies such as the Royal Arch Chapter and possibly a Council of Royal and Select Masters. (This depends on the state where you reside) To petition a Commandery one must profess a belief in the Christian Religion.

http://www.knightstemplar.org/faq.html

13. Morris

Morris Premium Member

Ive always thought you had to be a Christian to be a KT. If that is changing I haven't seen an effort to get rid of that perception.

If that's changing, I like it!

Last edited: Dec 12, 2014
  14. Brother JC

Brother JC Vigilant Staff Member

It hasn't changed. You must repeat the Apostolic Creed and swear to defend the Christian religion above all others.
    People need to remember that the York "rite" isn't a linear path like SR, it's a conglomeration of bodies. If you don't want to join Commandery, fine, but don't let it stop you from joining Chapter, or even Council.

15. cacarter

cacarter Premium Member

If you are a Christian you should be a Knight Templar; thus, 'Yorkie.' FIFY.

kastonw likes this.
  16. kastonw

kastonw Premium Member

This is true our Illustrious Master of the Council isn't a member of our Commandery and he's at every one of our Chapter and Council meetings

17. Mac

Mac Moderator Premium Member

This statement makes the hairs on anyone else's neck go up?

dfreybur and MaineMason like this.
  18. Mac

Mac Moderator Premium Member

Doesn't it depend on the jurisdiction? I could swear my Texas petition for the commandery had me check a box (or do something similar) stating I was Christian. If that's not necessary, the paperwork should be updated ASAP.

19. Willaim Perkins

I joined in July 1980. I do know that in the ritual in Illinois you swear to defend the Christian faith.

Warrior1256 and MaineMason like this.
  20. MaineMason

I guess I would defend the Episcopal Church but do not find it necessary to defend Christianity in the many heretical forms it has taken.Last time I checked, there were there were three large Christian bodies: Roman Catholicisim, Russian Orthodoxy, and Anglicanism, of which I happen to be a member.

Share My Freemasonry