My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why is it so hard to get Masons to join the Commandery?

Willaim Perkins

I was23 when Raised in1980. They got a dispensation so I could get it done while home on leave. I got stationed in my hometown on Recruiting Duty and went through the York Rite In July of '80.

Rifleman1776

The Benjamin's ($) are going to be a continuing problem for every organization for probably another generation, which is why I am promoting a drastic uniform shift. I am also looking at tactics and ritual changes for the other bodies. Our state doesn't require either appendant body for Shrine membership and it has hurt us. Contrary to your view of being in the company of old guys, I tend to learn things about life. I know funeral, both from Rites and as a member of our VFW team Honors. We owe it to them.
I know that all I do will be an uphill climb.

Willaim, you missed my mention that I am now an old guy. But, as a young man I found it depressing to be around so many who could not remember the work, were confused and often died before the next meeting. I know for a fact that is a put-off to many considering membership.

Willaim Perkins

Willaim, you missed my mention that I am now an old guy. But, as a young man I found it depressing to be around so many who could not remember the work, were confused and often died before the next meeting. I know for a fact that is a put-off to many considering membership.
Yes I guess I did miss that part of it. What I get for reading before coffee. It sounded as if you found being with older Brethren a put-off and the ritual senseless. I stand corrected (actually I'm sitting corrected). Thanks for clarifying.

Warrior1256

Site Benefactor
I have to say that I really like the class A KT uniform, yes even the chapeau, lol. Just got my uniform and accessories and participated in the opening of the Commandery on the long form. It was great! I saw many complaints about the current class a uniforms earlier on this particular thread just had to take up for it.

Last edited:

Warrior1256

Site Benefactor
I don't care for the uniforms and drill, either, but like I said, if you want to participate, it's part of it.
Agreed!
What I object to when it comes to Commandery is the military aspect.
The military aspect and drill is what I like about the Commandery.
I do know that in the ritual in Illinois you swear to defend the Christian faith.
Same
but I, like you, have no interest in military marching drills or the uniforms.
I love both! The military aspect was one of the main things that drew me to the Knights Templar and I think that the uniform is really sharp looking.

Warrior1256

Site Benefactor
one of the things the uniforms has done is keep the respect for the institution alive, to some extent or another. And (as a still relatively young person in freemasonry at 24), the mantles over casual dress would look... well, not like an organization I would want to be a part of.
Absolutely agree!
I can't speak for anyone else, but for me it has been a matter of expense. I just don't make that kind of money. What with initiation fees, dues, and the uniform, I've been told it can get expensive fast.
I have been a member of KT for 14 months. Just got my uniform and accessories after saving up month by month for it. I got some great deals on everything but it still ended up costing me a little better than $700.00. As stated, I am not destitute by any means but I saved little by little as it is a big expense but, at least to me, worth it.

Kalip78

Well Brethren, if nothing unexpected will happen, I will be knighted at the end of March. Why?

I firmly belive, that for a Christian Freemason KT/KM or CBCS is a natural culmination of Masonic path. The Scottish Rite with its general teaching on "being a good citizen" in my opinion is not as important. It's rather a supporting order (that doesn't mean it's not important at all). KT/KM or CBCS is also return to the Christian origins of our movement of which we so often forget.

And - last but not least - I love the history of Middle Ages and knighthood in particular. ;-)

So my choice is not accidental and requires also some sacrifices as I have to go to another country for instalation. I do believe it is worth it!

I know, that from a point of view of multireligious America it may seem strange, but in Europe with it's mostly Christian origins it shouldn't. At last only in Europe we have a Swedish Rite (which fascinates me, by the way). ;-)

I also read the article from The Masonic Trowel. The author is more or less wrong on everything, :) but especially on templars. I agree that Scottish Rite is using templar legend in some of its degrees, but it doesn’t make SR member a templar. Why? Because you can not separate chivalric orders from Christianity! Order's knight is a monk-warrior. Without Christianity it’s just a warrior, not a knight. So, in my opinion, members of KT, CBCS or SwR are (neo)templars and SR members are not. But of course it doesn’t make them worse kind of Masons in any way.

Frats from sunny Warsaw!

Last edited:

john riverbank

Don't mean to resurrect an old thread but o well, here for more light. I've gone through the York Rite degrees but didn't find out till everything was said and done about the class A uniforms, besides the cost I cannot stand the looks of the things. Know a few brothers who went through the degrees with me and we feel the same. With Covid-19 doing it's thing most of us are just waiting it out as well as looking around for a commandery that does cap and mantle.

Anyway, a few observations, one brother I know from out east came from an active commandery that was all cap and mantle, he moved to my state and not only was ours a lot smaller, they were far, far more political. It was the my way or the highway attitude on everything, uniforms included. They had chased away more than a few brothers to other commandaries, a few just demitted and either stayed with blue lodge or if he was SR/Shrine stuck with that. It's to the point where they're now doing like other commandaries are, they either combine with other ones to boost the number of sir knights or just barely scrape by. Friend of mine was almost voluntold for an officer position without being informed about the need for a class A, needless to say he declined. As things are, combined with the few people who stick around and covid, my old commandery may be on the way out, who knows.

I do wonder how all this will work post covid, as it is lodges are struggling and far as I can tell politics are getting bad. I've been in lodge in other states and it's disgusting the problems some brothers cause, lots of places are desperate for bodies so they let in anyone they can, big suprise when the good people leave and those who are harmed run their mouths off on social media and the lodges reputation gets ruined. Considering lots of commanderies have issues having enough people to open i'd think they would budge on this. The uniforms are a huge turn off for many, that and with the politics that keeps popping up it sure is a bad thought that you'd spend all that money only to get into a political spat with someone then have to either demit out or change commandaries, have a cousin who's in and he's seen it, sadly. At least with the cap and mantle you save a ton of upfront cost and if things don't work out you're not leaving with as bad a taste in your mouth. I'll just toss this out there as an extreme example, hoping we don't see more of this.

https://la-mason.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/Edict_2018-2.pdf

http://freemasonsfordummies.blogspot.com/2018/08/gl-of-louisiana-withdraws-recognition.html

Warrior1256

Site Benefactor
The uniforms are a huge turn off for many,
For me the uniform was actually part of what attracted me to the Knights Templar as well as the drill and sword work...the military like aspect.
Considering lots of commanderies have issues having enough people to open i'd think they would budge on this.
True, many Commanderies, like other aspects of Masonry, have trouble getting and keeping members. I'm luck to belong to two Commanderies that are going strong.

john riverbank

For me the uniform was actually part of what attracted me to the Knights Templar as well as the drill and sword work...the military like aspect.

True, many Commanderies, like other aspects of Masonry, have trouble getting and keeping members. I'm luck to belong to two Commanderies that are going strong.
So I guess those of us who dislike how Commandery is can just sit back and watch the invisible hand of the market take care of things as well as the bad aspects of the craft either work itself out or go kaput. Works for me.

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor
So I guess those of us who dislike how Commandery is can just sit back and watch the invisible hand of the market take care of things as well as the bad aspects of the craft either work itself out or go kaput. Works for me.
To be more precise, Commandery in your area.

john riverbank

To be more precise, Commandery in your area.
That's exactly what's happening too, the local ones are combining due to low turnout, that was pre-covid too.

I see on your profile UGLE, wish they did over here like they do there, they do cap, mantle and the cool tunics. How is York Rite over there?

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor
That's exactly what's happening too, the local ones are combining due to low turnout, that was pre-covid too.

I see on your profile UGLE, wish they did over here like they do there, they do cap, mantle and the cool tunics. How is York Rite over there?
Well, my point wasn’t clear. Some US commanderies do cap and mantle.

No York Rite in England. Chapter, R&S, and Preceptory are separate. They have diminished numbers.

john riverbank

Well, my point wasn’t clear. Some US commanderies do cap and mantle.

No York Rite in England. Chapter, R&S, and Preceptory are separate. They have diminished numbers.

Ops my mistake. A brother I know in the midwest is planning on a dual membership, the Commandery out there is quite active and does cap and mantle.
Think what gets me is it mirrors the other orders such as the Order of Malta, Order of St. Lazarus who use really sharp looking mantles. Correct me if I'm wrong here but those were considered church vestments weren't they? If you're going to be part of a church order, I'd think you would dawn something more, well, churchy.

Huh, that's a shame but I'm not suprised. From what I've read the Church of England is having issues with people not showing up, would make sense that something that is Christian based would also reflect that.

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor
A mantle was in the medieval period not limited to clergy.

I would not consider KT a church order.

The decrease in fraternal numbers is not limited to KT, and so I would not think it is a matter of Christianity. I do think that participation in active worship tracks participation in the fraternity.

Elexir

Ops my mistake. A brother I know in the midwest is planning on a dual membership, the Commandery out there is quite active and does cap and mantle.
Think what gets me is it mirrors the other orders such as the Order of Malta, Order of St. Lazarus who use really sharp looking mantles. Correct me if I'm wrong here but those were considered church vestments weren't they? If you're going to be part of a church order, I'd think you would dawn something more, well, churchy.

Huh, that's a shame but I'm not suprised. From what I've read the Church of England is having issues with people not showing up, would make sense that something that is Christian based would also reflect that.

The order of Malta, Order of St Lazarus etc. are chilvaric orders and not church orders. They bestow a knighthood to their members but no churchly authority. An example is Edward Blom who is a commander of The Equestrian Order of the Holy Sepulchre of Jerusalem wich is a catholic order but he writes cookbooks and is married and have children.
Its best to avoid draging them into disscusions of freemasonry to be honest. We might have been inspired by them but they are to diffrent for it to make sense.

Except for the order of Charles XIII wich is a chilvaric order only given to masons but we swedes are wierd....

Last edited: