My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Women Freemasons

Should women be allowed to become Freemasons?

• Yes

Votes: 21 8.7%
  • No

Votes: 205 85.1%
  • Doesn't matter either way

Votes: 15 6.2%

• Total voters

JohnnyFlotsam

Premium Member
That all depends on what parts of freemasonry you are saying can be discussed. I know the lessons I learned in the degrees are not for discussion.

How do you know this?

Think back again on your obligations, in particular those things that you promised and swore not to divulge. That's actually a pretty short list.
And this is a very common misconception, due at least in part to the fact that, as a matter of custom, most of us will not talk in much detail about those parts of our ritual that are non-monitorial. That leaves a lot of common ground for two Masons to talk about without either violating his or her obligation.

JohnnyFlotsam

Premium Member
I couldn't agree with you more Br. Moreland, there is nothing sexist about your statement. The bottom line is: no matter male, female, duck, or swallow. Just as no clandestine mason can be received as a Mason in a "regular" Lodge, or have lawful communication with a regular Mason...

"Lawful communication" or more precisely, "Masonic communication" refers to those things that can only happen ("lawfully") in a tyled Lodge. They do not refer to conversation about this or that Masonic topic. Again, a very common misconception.

Brother JC

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
Everything discussed in this thread or on this forum has been discussed with women, cowans, eavesdroppers, irregulars, and the clandestinely made. Have any of us gone against our Obligations? I think not.

There is a wealth of transformational philosophy inherent in our gentle Craft that can be shared with any interested seeker.

thewise1

Brothers the women's orders are intricate and deep if you true delve through them. It is a women's version of freemasonry there is no reason to merge them or to consider
Co-masonry when there is already a path for that. anyone who truly learn depth of the labyrinth of the Star or HOJ will see that it is a female version of Freemasonry

My Freemasonry HD

BryanMaloney

Premium Member
Tell that to the many female Masons around the world.
Perhaps you meant to say that women Masons are not members of regular Lodges in recognized jurisdictions. In that you would be completely correct.

Where were you first prepared to be made a Mason? Do you think your answer is different because of your gender? Do think that females can not grasp the lessons of our order?

If that is so important, there are Comasonry organizations already extant.

Brother JC

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
The original poll would have been better worded "Should women be allowed in our Masonic system." To which I would vote no. There have been women Freemasons since at least the early 1700s, and no amount of arguing will change that.

BigDre357

If it's for sale through Macoy, it's legal to tell to anyone.

I can go to local book stores and buy the stuff on Macoy, I bought my Duncan at Books a Million they have a full sized leather backed version there also I have a book shelf full of material bought on Amazon and ebay so even the things we are not supposed to mention are available to anyone, I have the Duncan and the Lester both in digital format on my phone thru the Android market/play store so so everything we are obligated to not speak of is already it there for the world to see so it is no big secret anymore.

SMIB /G\

Brother JC

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
As my mentor told me after I was Raised, even if I wanted to tell you the true secrets of Masonry, I couldn't, because they are different for each of us and locked within our hearts.

dfreybur

Premium Member
As my mentor told me after I was Raised, even if I wanted to tell you the true secrets of Masonry, I couldn't, because they are different for each of us and locked within our hearts.

We also have the sort of secret that can be shouted from the rooftops and it remains a secret to folks who have not seen them in action. We call each other brother not as some habit or rule. We do it to remind ourselves that we actually treat each other as kin. Try shouting that from the rooftops and see if anyone gets it.

BroBook

Premium Member
I can, and have, made a good arguement for allowing women into Masonry, but in the end it would change Masonry. Men behave different when there are women present. The principles of Masonry are open to anyone, membership in the Fraternity is not...

To add to that ,the spiritual lessons are taught to women in the female auxiliaries if I am not mistaken!!!

BroBook

My Freemasonry HD

bupton52

Premium Member
As to relates to your brothers female relatives!

My Freemasonry HD

Let's not continue to dig into what it says, but there is one very important word that is being missed. Skipping over it causes you to misunderstand what is being said. Having a relationship with a brothers female relative is fine.

dfreybur

Premium Member
Chastity? Nothing about that in my Jurisdiction. I'm a Mason, not a monk.

You're affiliating in one more jurisdiction according to one of your other posts. There will be something about it when the paperwork settles.

Thank brother Byron for pointing to a very important word that is not often considered in discussions of this sort.