My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Destructive sw in line for WM

Warrior1256

Site Benefactor
I'm sure the other guys are use to it and "it's just 'Johnny' being 'Johnny' and he doesn't mean anything by it...'" but that doesn't mean it's ok necessarily. People don't get a pass to be a jerk. Same for people that 'just tell it like it is' or straight shooters. That's not necessarily a virtue either. It's bad manners sometimes.
Exactly. I've met people that think that it is a virtue to blurt out whatever comes into their minds. Excuse me, but I've never thought that needlessly hurting someone's feelings was a virtue.

LK600

Premium Member
People don't get a pass to be a jerk. Same for people that 'just tell it like it is' or straight shooters. That's not necessarily a virtue either. It's bad manners sometimes.

Yes... I have come across a number of people who find it convenient to claim "I'm honest and just tell it like it is" as a way to be an ass and not be responsible for what comes out of their mouths. Others, I've seen attempt to use their intellect to be "openly" passive aggressive. Either way, it's a selfish choice, and one I try not to let go unchallenged.

Warrior1256

Site Benefactor
Yes... I have come across a number of people who find it convenient to claim "I'm honest and just tell it like it is" as a way to be an ass and not be responsible for what comes out of their mouths. Others, I've seen attempt to use their intellect to be "openly" passive aggressive. Either way, it's a selfish choice, and one I try not to let go unchallenged.
Totally agree!

CLewey44

Yea, that's one of my biggest pet peeves. It's like, "who are you?" Now if I ask for someone's opinion or if I truly am way out of line, that's a little different maybe. But you're right, it's like a free-pass to just be a jerk. Not cool. Have some manners. Passive aggressive doesn't bother me I guess because, well, it just doesn't. I don't feel as threatened or attacked maybe? But the "openly", I know what you mean. The condescending, talk down to you, rhetorical questions type...Very annoying.

Bloke

Premium Member
I obviously haven't read all of the posts but I do know that the old saying 'one bad apple can spoil the whole bunch' is very true. As a matter of fact, I'm in a similar situation. I was looking to join a lodge that is just around the corner from my house. Literally could throw a baseball and hit the building from my porch. Perfect location. However, while recently visiting, I met a 'brother' who is in the line, SD if I'm not mistaken, but not for sure. Very confident individual, which is good but I noticed after the meeting, he had a beer or two and was all of the sudden being, to put it nicely, an asshole to some of the other members. Joking is one thing but talking to elderly members in a condescending and smart alecky manner is uncalled for. It really put me off. So much so that I could see him being a problem down the road. I had never met the guy and he was even doing some mild 'ball busting' towards me. Seemed to have some confidence issues maybe, Napoléon type thing. I don't know. His spouse was there and he was sort of 'showing off' in front of her.

Two days later, my wife and I were a local brew house and I saw this same person, pretty sauced looking, and I went over to shake his hand and he shook mine but he said something sort of off the cuff like, 'well I see you're just showing up everywhere in (city), huh?' and then pretty much walked off. Very arrogant I felt. Nothing too bad, but the guy has poor tact and I would imagine he is a pain at officer meetings and argumentative. I'm willing to see if it was just a misunderstanding.

Where I'm from, people are warm and cordial towards others they just met and not crass and rude. I was put off to say the least. I'm sure the other guys are use to it and "it's just 'Johnny' being 'Johnny' and he doesn't mean anything by it...'" but that doesn't mean it's ok necessarily. People don't get a pass to be a jerk. Same for people that 'just tell it like it is' or straight shooters. That's not necessarily a virtue either. It's bad manners sometimes.

So many times I found guys like that just don't last in the Craft...

jvarnell

Premium Member
Where the people that voted members of that lodge that just had not been there in a while? The south is the law so with this deff. for the JW: "To prefer charges against a Mason guilty of un-Masonic conduct and present such charges to the Master of the Lodge." If you are still in the south I would present the un-mason like conduct of the Master as if it was not him then at the end of the charges say his name. I am a Mason to do good but if I am ever put in the situation you are in I would fall on my sward for the good of the fraternity.

Warrior1256

Site Benefactor
I would present the un-mason like conduct of the Master as if it was not him then at the end of the charges say his name. I am a Mason to do good but if I am ever put in the situation you are in I would fall on my sward for the good of the fraternity.
Good answer!