My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

EA's and the Book

Bill Lins

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
The WM kept saying that "other Lodges did this, other Lodges did that...

Had he just gotten up there, apologized to everybody, & sworn that it wouldn't happen again, instead of using lame excuses, they might have gotten a different response.

Dave in Waco

Premium Member
Bill_Lins77488 said:
The WM kept saying that "other Lodges did this, other Lodges did that...

Had he just gotten up there, apologized to everybody, & sworn that it wouldn't happen again, instead of using lame excuses, they might have gotten a different response.

Exactly. We live to forgive, but someone has to man up, take some responsibility and give some assurance that it won't happen again.

Hippie19950

Premium Member
On the Charter situation, that is exactly what LJ, Rene' and I were saying, and we were way across from the rest of you. That shows, there was a lot of the same thoughts, with no discussion or direct connection at the time. We thought, had he started with an apology of some sort, it would have been better for them, than to jump right in accusing the Brother who apparently was trying to do right...
I was allowed to see the Monitor a couple of times. My Instructor had it in his hands, and told me which part to look at. I never got to hold, or read it until I gave my MM Proficiency. I understand that is not required, but just the way I was taught. I am now in possession of the "other" book, which was given to me by my Father-in-law, and from time to time, I rad through it, to make sure I have my words where they need to be. I think it is good as an "aid to memory", or to get the words correct when there may be some confusion on your own, or among Brothers. NO student should have it!! Well, those going through the first three degrees anyway, because we should all be a student as we go through life :)

dhouseholder

The book is a crutch. Some people need crutches for short periods of time but eventually should learn to walk uprightly.

jwhoff

Premium Member
No candidate should be exposed to a code book. Brother Bill_Lins77488's definition of a candidate puts the finishing touches on the argument. It is not permitted and should not be tolerated. Period. Exclamation point.

MasonicTexan

Well being an EA myself, I have no idea about the book and it hasnt been mentioned during Lodge and being such a secret, it should be kept to only those who are ready for it. As with all secrets, only those who are truly prepared need know the secrets within.

Now I have the Lodge Monitor, but it was available to all Brothers of the Lodge as directed by the GLoT

Dave in Waco

Premium Member
MasonicTexan, you better off without the book. It robs you of your chance to bond with your Instructor(s) who are teaching you the work, and the experience of learning it as all worthy brothers have done before you. It is meant to be used only as a refresher for those who have already learned their work and might need a spark to help remind them. It was never meant to be used as a training tool, and never to be used in the presence of a candidate or brother still learning their work.

The Monitor is legal for you to have, but I would won't read any thing but the degree you are currently working in, otherwise you rob yourself of some of the experience.

vanderson78102

I've got kind of mixed emotions about the book. I have one and see no issues with using it, but I can also see why so many are against it wholeheartedly. Do I think EAs should have one? Probably not. There's too much temptation to be lazy.

MikeMay

Premium Member
I am sure my opinion is unpopular, but our own ritual states that our work is passed down from the instructive mouth to the attentive ear....

-Ashton

From the instructive mouth to the attentive ear, this is how I was instructed...I didn't know there was a code book until after I was raised. I still prefer the memory work being from memory. But that's just me I suppose.:thumbup1:

fairmanjd

If I may respectfully weigh in. Personally, I am enjoying the work of the EA catechism immensely. My instructor mentioned there is a first letter cipher available; but I prefer mouth to ear. My goal is to learn the answers AND the questions in this more traditional manner. I will, however, probably purchase a cipher after I have the honor of turning in my Master's Proficiency. I would like to start teaching the catechism at that point; and I think a cipher would be a great tool to review prior to working with a candidate.

Michaelstedman81

Premium Member
I really don't think that anyone that hasn't turned in their proficiency for the MM should have the book. But, I have always heard it being called "an aid to memory" and think that it should be permissible for MM's that are studying for a certificate or that want to make sure they are getting everything right when they are instructing.

I kind of did and didn't know that there was a "cipher" or "code" book. When I was in my way early 20's or late teens when I first found out about my father being a Mason, he had left the book out and I picked it up. Of course I had no clue what I was looking at and when I asked my father what it was, he just told me it was a Masonic book and that I would have to go through the degrees to learn how to read it and what it meant.

A few years later, I finally petitioned the Lodge. I never thought about the book again till I was studying for my MM proficiency with my instructor and he told me about it. I purchased one right after I turned in my work. I can really see how it can be of use to Brothers, but I also think that it needs to be kept out of the hands of the candidates that are studying or haven't recieved the degrees. It was really easy for me as an EA and a FC to not look ahead into things in research in informational books about the craft and have things spoiled for me. But I can see how it could be hard for some candidates to be tempted into reading ahead if they understand how to read it, though I don't support it.

Jacob Johnson

I didn't know the code existed until i was a MM either. I have one, and I use it occasionally. but MOSTLY i try to do everything without it.

Beathard

Premium Member
I use it frequently. I use it in certificate class when two or more of us do not agree on a word being said. I just wish it was correct. There are many issues with "the book".

Michaelstedman81

Premium Member
I just wish it was correct. There are many issues with "the book".

Yea, that is something that I noticed and was told about when I first got the book. The Brother that told me about it took it from me and made some corrections in there for me that he had noticed in his. Anyone know how often they actually update it?

fairmanjd

My catechism instructor was telling me that our cipher here in FL is first letter of each word only. Is this the case in TX as well?

Michaelstedman81

Premium Member
My catechism instructor was telling me that our cipher here in FL is first letter of each word only. Is this the case in TX as well?

That is something that I never thought about. I wonder what the cipher book looks like in other states. Like if they do it the same way as ours or not. And then also if the cipher book differs from whoever prints it.

Forgive me if I don't answer your question...lol I am still a fairly young Mason and have some of that being paranoid about saying the wrong thing at the wrong time. So, I will let one of the more experienced Brothers answer that question if they choose to...lol I just think that question is a really good point.