My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Esoteric Work and not compleating it by the deadline?

ppimaro

Dear Breatheren,

I have a question, if a candidate is on the masters and does not complete the question and answer portion of his degree in time. I know that he has to ask for a extension to turn in his work but If he does not meet the alloted extra time 1) can he be suspended and 2) could he still be able to wear masonic embelms and jewelry or call himself a master mason?

JTM

"Just in case"
Premium Member
This is really a job for those more well versed in GL law than i, but if he took the MM obligation, he is forever a master mason. :)

Bro. Stewart P.M.

Lead Moderator Emeritus
Staff Member
My understanding of the GLoTX Law is this:

Once a Master Mason has received his degrees but not completed all of the requirements for the esoterically work, and the A.L.L. program he is in fact suspended. There are of course options to apply for time extensions at the Worshipful Master's and Lodge's discretion. Once raised as a MM you are considered a full dues paying member of the GLoTX unlike the lessor degree levels.

That being said, if a MM is suspended for whatever reason he is no longer a member of the GLoTX. I would assume that a fully suspended member could not be entitled to (though likely not enforced) display the Sq&Css as a full member. It is also my understanding that if a MM is suspended by a GL that he must resolve the issue prior to seeking membership in another jurisdiction.

I could be way off, but I know that the GM just passed an edict that automatically suspended any MM who had not completed the A.L.L. program within the allotted time.

JohnnyFlotsam

Premium Member
Presumably, there was a grandfather clause that exempted our more... experienced Brethren from such a requirement. Yes? Even at that, I can't imagine the GL automatically kicking a dues paying member to the curb. I understand the reasoning, but it's just hard to believe that those reasons outweigh the wallets that would be shown the door. There may yet be hope for our fraternity. :001_unsure:

Bro. Stewart P.M.

Lead Moderator Emeritus
Staff Member
A.L.L. or "Additonal Lodge Light" is a program for newly raised MM's. The A.L.L. program IMO helps these new Masons navigate the various Lodge law books & locators, and basic functionality of the lodge. Its not hard, anyone should be able to do it. It is a requirement just as the esoterical work.

Bro. Stewart P.M.

Lead Moderator Emeritus
Staff Member
Presumably, there was a grandfather clause that exempted our more... experienced Brethren from such a requirement. Yes? Even at that, I can't imagine the GL automatically kicking a dues paying member to the curb. I understand the reasoning, but it's just hard to believe that those reasons outweigh the wallets that would be shown the door. There may yet be hope for our fraternity. :001_unsure:

As far as I am aware there is no or a limited "grandfather clause". I know that every Brother who was physically capable of completing the A.L.L. program have done so at my lodge. And yes, just as the esoterically work is required the A.L.L. is also; "kicking" a dues paying member is hardly the motive.

Personally I don't care if you own all of the oil wells in Texas and are richer than Donald Trump, if I had to do it you do to! Masonry as a whole hasn't lasted as long as it has by cutting corners, it is repetition and education that keeps the lessons unchanged from generation to generation.

Of course this topic was not about the A.L.L. program at all, it was "what happens if a Brother does not complete his esoterically work" within the allotted time. IMO, the Brother is capable of finishing the required work and he has the ability to ask for an extension so there should be no reason for him to be suspended in the first place.

Lastly, I believe that if this Brother has become suspended (may need to consult the Law book) he has the option to "Petition for Advancement" from his home Lodge, turn in his work and the A.L.L. paperwork, and then the Lodge can decide to vote this Brother back in. Until re-instated he can not attend any meetings etc., just as if he were never a member, only to be instructed/taught the esoterically in preparation for the "return".

It could just me, but I think that the suspension is hardly a harsh punishment...

Bill Lins

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
"Art. 439. (476). Examination in Master’s Degree.

1. Within ninety days after he is raised, a Brother shall <snip> be certified as having completed a Grand Lodge approved course in Masonic Information under the supervision of the Committee on Masonic Education and Service (A.L.L. Program)(note by me), and shall have been examined in open Lodge and voted as proficient in the entire trial lecture of the Master’s Degree. (Revised 1996)

It shall be the duty of the officers of the Lodge to see that this is done. Any Brother who, after receiving the Master’s Degree, willfully neglects or refuses to present himself and be examined as to his proficiency in such degree, within ninety days thereafter, unless further time is granted him by the Lodge shall be subject to automatic suspension as provided hereinafter; absence from the State, natural infirmities or unavoidable accident alone excusing him.

2. In each case in which a Brother, except during the time (if any) he is excused from doing so under the last clause of the next preceding section of this Article, fails to meet the requirements set out in the next preceding section of this Article, the Master of the Lodge must notify such Brother by Certified Mail, Return Receipt Requested, that he will stand automatically suspended if the examination is not taken and passed within ninety (90) days from receipt of such letter unless the time is further extended, only for good cause, by the Lodge, and if the Brother fails to do so he shall then stand automatically suspended and such suspension shall be recorded in the Minutes of the next subsequent Stated Meeting of the Lodge.

Any Brother so suspended, however, may receive instruction and be examined in open Lodge and if and when he passes the examination required by this Article he may be reinstated by following the procedure provided for reinstatement of those automatically suspended for non-payment of dues. (italics mine) <snip>

Art. 323. Effect of Suspension.

Suspension for non-payment of dues has the same effect, except as to instruction for advancement, as suspension for un-Masonic conduct, except that upon payment of all dues to date of suspension and the current dues, the Brother becomes reinstated without any action of the Lodge unless such suspension has continued for more than three years. (italics mine) (Revised 1999)

Art. 324. Reinstatement After Three Years.

A Member who has been suspended for non-payment of dues and remains so for three years is not reinstated automatically upon payment of dues in arrears, but is required to present his petition, in writing, to the Lodge at a Stated Meeting requesting reinstatement. The petition must be accompanied by payment of all dues in arrears to the date of his suspension, unless the amount thereof has been reduced under Art. 314, in which event the amount authorized shall be paid.

The Worshipful Master shall appoint a Committee for Investigation and Report. The petition shall lay over to a subsequent Stated Meeting when a ballot shall be taken. If two-thirds favorable ballot of the membership of the Lodge present is cast, the petitioner shall be reinstated, otherwise, his petition shall stand rejected. Whenever a petition for reinstatement is rejected, the dues tendered shall be refunded upon request."

Note that a Petition for Advancement is not called for in this instance- that is only for EA's & FC's who have gone "out of time". Also, the statement regarding "a member of the GLoT" is not correct in this instance. Only Past Masters are "members of the Grand Lodge". A Brother who has not turned in his MM proficiency could not, under any conditions, be a Past Master. The proper terminology here would be "under the jurisdiction of" or "amenable to the discipline of" the Grand Lodge of Texas.

As to the question of whether he would be entitled to wear masonic emblems and jewelry or call himself a master mason- the answer is no, since NO suspended Mason may do such.

Last edited:

david918

Premium Member
Is there a "grandfather" clause in the ALL requirement or do I need to suspend a bunch of our 50 and 60 yr members who have not compleated it including PMs and Past DDGMs?

Bill Lins

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
Art. 439 only applies to these MM's who have been raised after the article took effect. Dunno when that was, though- you might want to check with the Grand Secretary.

Bro. Stewart P.M.

Lead Moderator Emeritus
Staff Member
Note that a Petition for Advancement is not called for in this instance- that is only for EA's & FC's who have gone "out of time". Also, the statement regarding "a member of the GLoT" is not correct in this instance. Only Past Masters are "members of the Grand Lodge". A Brother who has not turned in his MM proficiency could not, under any conditions, be a Past Master. The proper terminology here would be "under the jurisdiction of" or "amenable to the discipline of" the Grand Lodge of Texas.

As to the question of whether he would be entitled to wear masonic emblems and jewelry or call himself a master mason- the answer is no, since NO suspended Mason may do such.

Thank you Bill for the clarification, my copy of the Law Book was not available at the time of my posting. At times it is hard for me to remember who and who isn't actually a "member" of the GLoT.

That being said it does not appear that I was too far off, even without the book handy...

JohnnyFlotsam

Premium Member
Art. 439 only applies to these MM's who have been raised after the article took effect. Dunno when that was, though- you might want to check with the Grand Secretary.
So there is a grandfather clause. Like I said, kind of hard to imagine that a rule could be enacted that would result in a mass suspension of so many senior members.
Also, just so we're clear, I believe that this rule is a good one, for all the reasons Brother Stewart lists. Hence the statement about "hope" in my previous post.

S.Courtemanche

Premium Member
In my lodge after I was raised no one even mentioned this to me (A.L.L. program, I turned my proficiency in two weeks later), I did not find out what the A.L.L. program was until I read about here at he forum. I went to my next stated meeting and asked about it, they did not seem to me too concerned and did not have any of the materials needed to complete this. I was told that they would have it at the next stated meeting. At the next stated meeting they still did not have the materials, so I went to another lodge and asked for the books (I am now a member of this lodge also) completed it bring it to my secretary to be turned in, he was not there that night and he told me to place it in his desk. (I texted him) I attend the next stated meeting where I obtained the books and the secretary read the edict from the GM, at this time I am worried so I call the secretary at my other lodge and he states do not worry about it it is all taken care of and sent of. I imagine since its been three months that if I had been suspended I would have received something from grand lodge. I also do not want to step on any toes trying to find out if this paperwork was in fact turned in. Does anyone know of a way to check to see at grand lodge if my stuff is G to G? I guess I could ask the Bro Vernon my secratary in the other lodge to check on it. The edict was never read in my first lodge, (our secretary is a great guy, he is just swampted as he is the secretary in two lodges) and I wonder how many are out of compliance.

Last edited:

JBD

Premium Member
There is a difference between an edict and communication from the GS. To my recollection the only "edict" lately was related to the control of the first 3 degrees. How I remember the scenario is was in a communication from the GS "reminding" all Lodges this was included in the requirements. Unless you were reported to GL as suspended I doubt you are and if the Sec is that busy you probably weren't if he didn't know it was there.

We need also remember to use the correct wording and status of who is a "Member of the GLoT" and who is a member of a subordinate lodge in Texas.

Edited because I did not see Bill's post and he quoted he book

Last edited:

S.Courtemanche

Premium Member
There is a difference between an edict and communication from the GS. To my recollection the only "edict" lately was related to the control of the first 3 degrees. How I remember the scenario is was in a communication from the GS "reminding" all Lodges this was included in the requirements. Unless you were reported to GL as suspended I doubt you are and if the Sec is that busy you probably weren't if he didn't know it was there.

We need also remember to use the correct wording and status of who is a "Member of the GLoT" and who is contriba member of a subordinate lodge in Texas.

Thanks, not to sure were I messed up with my wording and I apologize if I stated something wrong. You are correct as it was in a communication from the GS.

JBD

Premium Member
My brother no apology is necessary, you are my brother I have your back. I dont know that you particularly said it, though it was all through the post. I was commenting on the wording not anyone making the error - Lord knows I do well more than that everyday

S.Courtemanche

Premium Member
My brother no apology is necessary, you are my brother I have your back. I dont know that you particularly said it, though it was all through the post. I was commenting on the wording not anyone making the error - Lord knows I do well more than that everyday

Thanks JBD (o; ... I am a young MM with much to learn.

LDSpears

Premium Member
So when did the ALL come about? And are all MM from before that time grandfathered? i'm still not clear.
Thanks.

owls84

Premium Member
The law is dated 1996 and to my knowledge the ALL Program was last updated in the early 2000's making it WAY outdated. The problem with the law is it was passed and never enforced. Some time ago a brother on here asked a similar question to our Grand Secretary and was told to use good judgement when asking if he should suspend members not completing the ALL Program.

I personally have contacted the Committee on Masonic Education to offer a rewite of sort with an update but after a few emails I was never replied to. I also know that the committee should be creating an updated version soon but it has been years overdue and the current version is very hard to use to new Master Masons. In my opinion we need to look at other Grand Lodge systems and teach at all three levels since EAs and FCs can now do more than when this program was implemented. It is really another outdated article and should be changed. Sounds like another resolution for next year Rhit!!!