My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Not wanting to go to lodge anymore.

JMartinez

Brother I feel 100% the same way. For five years I've shown up to lodge every week. I loved freemasonry at one time. Now I'm burnt out, tired, annoyed, frustrated, stressed, and feel demoralized. I recently stop attending lodge. And to be honest it's extremely hard to go back. I now see what all the hype is about leaving and never coming back. But the thing is my brother... It's negative hype. I am SW. Out of frustration I said I wouldn't continue next year. I am afraid to return to lodge for fear of being shunned by those who were once my brothers:( take my advise brother. Take some time away from lodge, let them know in advance that you're taking some time off. But don't stay away too long my brother. I'll pray for you and your friend. Please pray for me. I miss my lodge and brethren. Even the ones I can't stand :)

Last edited:

Bill Lins

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
Bro. Martinez,
There are quite a few Lodges in your area. Rather than just stay home, why not visit some of those other Lodges & see if you can find what is lacking in your home Lodge? Every Lodge has a different "vibe"- you just might find one that's a better fit for you. In the meantime, we'll be praying for you.

JMartinez

I have been a lodge officer since my first year of being a MM. I always saw myself as a spectator and participant. Never an officer. I was put through the chairs in hopes my feelings would change by now. But I feel now that "I've been in the back, and have seen how the sausage is made". I don't have the stomach to be WM. I've been a MM since I was 18, I am now 22 and SW. I feel like I joined too young. In my heart I feel the lodge line up is an older mans game.

Derinique Kendrick

I've been a MM since I was 18, I am now 22 and SW. I feel like I joined too young. In my heart I feel the lodge line up is an older mans game.
I humbly disagree brother. I am 25 and a JW and like you have been an officer since my first year (Raised and elected at 24, 2016 is first FULL year in craft). I don't feel like you joined too young. I give you that it may seem to be an "old mans game", but we, as younger brother, are the future of the lodge and in my opinion that is just as important as the older members because we have a legacy to carry on. Just my two cents. I also hope your mind changes about lodge. I would hate the lodge to lose a good brother such as yourself (you wouldn't have been elected SW if they thought you weren't a good brother). It does indeed get discouraging and frustrating, but we have to stick it out and ultimately be the change we want to see. The changes you may want to see are most definitely not going to happen if you aren't there to see to it that they do start to happen. Best of wishes, brother!

MRichard

Mark A. Ri'chard
Premium Member
I have been a lodge officer since my first year of being a MM. I always saw myself as a spectator and participant. Never an officer. I was put through the chairs in hopes my feelings would change by now. But I feel now that "I've been in the back, and have seen how the sausage is made". I don't have the stomach to be WM. I've been a MM since I was 18, I am now 22 and SW. I feel like I joined too young. In my heart I feel the lodge line up is an older mans game.

Since you are still young, you can go through the line again later when you are ready. Might give you a different perspective. Not everyone desires to go through the line.

Derinique Kendrick

Since you are still young, you can go through the line again later when you are ready. Might give you a different perspective. Not everyone desires to go through the line.
This is very true. I see it in Lodge now. Guys who have sat in the South and West, but will not take on the East.

dfreybur

Premium Member
In my heart I feel the lodge line up is an older mans game.

Going through the line is like compressing an entire career into 7 years. From corporate go-fer to small company president as the chairs process. That is much more beneficial to a man still young in hos career to learn the lessons at lodge and apply them to work. That is less beneficial to a man long progressed in his career who learned the lessons at work and applies them at lodge.

Bloke

Premium Member

That's something to reflect on brother,a PM in my lodge went through the chair in his early 20's (pressured by his dad) and he says he was ill-equipped and too young. but I've seen other guys go through of the same age and do an outstanding job. One thing I know - every capable WME I've seen has been excited , but in the weeks before got scared and the jitters..

The chair is certainly a mature man's game, but that is not the same as an "old" man's game. I've been through the East three times, and every term has taught me valuable lessons.

I love Freemasonry. It's my hope all my members make a contribution - the thing to decide is how you will make yours in a way which is best for you, and best for Freemasonry....

Last edited: