My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

prince hall oklahoma lodges in the middle east?

dfreybur

Premium Member
Then the answer is yes? they can create a GL in this said country (middle east) for their no existing GL, right? because this PHAOK is a regular and recognized jurisdiction in the world, maybe there an exemption if the MM who travel don't know that kind of story or we can say less inform mason?

It looks like you are asking that question hoping there is a clear binary/integer yes/no answer. As suggested in the rest of the thread it's not completely clear cut. The answer is very much a floating point number in between yes and no.

MWPHGLofOK is regular in origin and nearly all of their practices, but they are a bit too aggressive in chartering lodges in places where Masonry is banned. The traditions allow chartering lodges in places where no Grand Lodge holds authority, but the traditions on chartering lodges where Masonry is banned are much more vague. OK PHA are just a little bit rogue. Just rogue enough that someone aggressive about Masonry like myself rather likes their practices. Just rogue enough that someone more conservative about Masonry like the brothers who give advice on recognition might not like their practices.

For a group of lodges in a region to form their own Grand Lodge that will get recognized worldwide, those lodges have to be from jurisdictions that are BOTH regular AND recognized. MWPHGLofOK is definitely regular. But recognition of MWPHGLofOK is far from worldwide. They have asked for and been granted recognition by many (most?) US GLs. They have not asked for recognition from the Untied Grad Lodge of England UGLE. Most GLs in the world follow the lead of UGLE for most recognition matters. Not all, but most. In general once UGLE recognizes so will almost everyone else.

I asked MWPHGLofOK brothers why they chose to not ask UGLE for recognition. I did not expect a formally authoritative answer. Sure enough the answer that was given was un-official and not authoritative. It was much as I expected - Thanks!

There is even more floating point between the yes and the no if lodges do want to form their own GL. The lodges chartered by OK PHA can turn in their charters and switch to a jurisdiction that is widely recognized, and then participate in forming a new GL. The lodges charted by OK PHA can wait while other recognized jurisdictions have enough lodges to form a GL and then the OK PHA lodges can switch. Either way it's more complex but it works.

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor
Really, no one knows why the Phillipines made the decision. This is really gross speculation.

May I provide another general view from one who handles fraternal recognitions matters?

Recognition by UGLE is of no moment in the decision making as to the regularity pf PHA masons. I have never heard voiced from CGMNA or the Home GLs that PHAOK is too aggressive. I have seen US GLs recognise GLs not in amity with UGLE.

Brother H

Brethren,

MWPHGL of Oklahoma is not recognised by UGLE as you have said, but not even by some big mainstream Grand Lodges in USA.

Just had this question/discussion with a Master Mason belonging to QML#210, working under the Jurisdiction of the above mentuon GL, District 15.
Fraternally,

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor
Brethren,

MWPHGL of Oklahoma is not recognised by UGLE as you have said, but not even by some big mainstream Grand Lodges in USA.

Just had this question/discussion with a Master Mason belonging to QML#210, working under the Jurisdiction of the above mentuon GL, District 15.
Fraternally,
Again, recognition by UGLE is not determinative. PHA GLs are considered regular and PHA OK is in amity with its State GL counterpart.

Keith D. McKeever Jr.

Premium Member
Notice that there are a ton of jurisdictions that use Prince Hall in their names but that do not have regular origins. It is an important step that there be recognition among the members of this branch of our family because it serves as a filter to easily eliminate clandestine jurisdictions from consideration.

As to being sufficient proof in an of itself, no. There are clusters of jurisdictions that are not regular but that do recognize each other, like female only Masonic jurisdictions that aren't regular.

That's why I added extra steps.

Both branches of our family in the US predate the country so both branches are "mainstream" but the word does not have a useful definition. What matters are regularity (ability for other jurisdictions to recognize) and recognition (ability of members to visit).

Regular means they follow all of the landmarks, have a valid lineage from the mother jurisdictions, probably some other requirements. They could, and should, be recognized on request. I remember in California MWPHGLofCA+HI was declared regular a few years before there was recognition. It was part of our process.

Recognized, in addition to requiring regularity, requires either jurisdiction to have acknowledged the other. At it's best recognition is mutual but that's not always the case. At its best recognition is by request but that's not always the case. Recognition happens by vote or delegates at communication and/or by edict.

Often when a jurisdiction is founded someone goes on a world tour asking for recognition. I remember a brother from Latvia at one GL I attended.

In the US some jurisdictions issue blanket recognition. The bessel.org web site is no longer maintained so it has a list of jurisdictions that issue blanket recognition as of the point its maintenance stopped. At least MWPHGLofAR now does blanket recognition -

Since GLofTX and MWPHGLofTX recognize each other, MWPHGLofAR recognizes both by the blanket. Whether GLofTX returns the recognition or not. Because GLofAR does not recognize MWPHGLorAR, GLofTX does not return their recognition. It's not mutual yet. Blanket recognition works that way so it does not have to be mutual. In this case most GLofXX jurisdictions only recognize when the local jurisdictions recognize each other so it's definitely not returned. I don't think it's returned by any GLofXX jurisdiction. I think it was a smart strategy by MWPHGLofAR to issue the invitation.

Mutual recognition is interesting. California offered mutual recognition to nearly all PHA jurisdictions. I've bugged the Gr Sec about the rest but this year I missed the deadline to submit legislation to force a correction. Only about half of PHA jurisdictions have returned the offer. So far. If California were my only jurisdiction I could present myself to many PHA jurisdictions and it would be up to them to figure out if they can accept me.
This is great information!! I am from District #1 of MWPHGLofSC and I just recently got out here to Bagram, Afghanistan and I was looking to travel to other houses with-in the MWPHGLofOK, but wanted to make sure that I am able to so. I was talking to my Manager who is also out of MWPHGLofOK and said everything is good and I should have no problems being conferred.

dfreybur

Premium Member
This is great information!! I am from District #1 of MWPHGLofSC and I just recently got out here to Bagram, Afghanistan and I was looking to travel to other houses with-in the MWPHGLofOK, but wanted to make sure that I am able to so. I was talking to my Manager who is also out of MWPHGLofOK and said everything is good and I should have no problems being conferred.

See this link http://www.conferenceofgrandmasterspha.org/gjlinks.asp for a list of PHA jurisdictions that all recognize each other. MWPHGLofOK and MWPHGLofSC are both on the list. You should be good to pass the tiler and attend members only meetings.

Bloke

Premium Member
Again, recognition by UGLE is not determinative. PHA GLs are considered regular and PHA OK is in amity with its State GL counterpart.

Hi Glen

I note
Well, not always. As an example, though there was no GL of Lebanon, NY suspended relations with D.C. when D.C. chartered a lodge there without permission of NY and Scotland. See http://freemasonsfordummies.blogspot.com/2008/11/gl-of-new-york-suspends-amity-with-gl.html

Also, just to clarify, though a GL may be formed, the prior GLs may continue to have lodges there.

My first thought was that sounds like sour grapes but thanks for the link. I checked it. "Further, the charter was issued in the name of several Masons who are under formal suspension from the GLofNY. According to the GLofNY, both actions run afoul of rules of the Conference of Grand Masters of North America, and of generally recognized Masonic jurisprudence."

Chartering a lodge with a petition for a warrant carrying names of suspended members ... then having recognition pulled sounds fair and correct. Seems a last resort though..

However I am wondering about "both actions run afoul" - does this means now that it is "first in best dressed" in relation to new lodges in an area where there is no GL ? It GL's have sovereignty (they do) then why would they need to check if another GL has lodges in an area where there is no GL ? Just interested. I understand that these days of modern communication is not the same as in the past where it could take months to get a warrant, and thinking has obviously changed sine the 1800's. I guess I am interested in the Evolution of that from your perspective..

acjohnson53

Them Oklahoma Masons are putting in Work, I was raised an Oklahoma Mason while stationed in Germany in the early 90's...Other Jurisdiction's have a strong presence outside the United States, Maryland, Georgia etc..

acjohnson53

Reading some of those passed were deep. in a nut shell what he said...SMH..Couldn't explain it any better...

Dontrell Stroman

Premium Member
Them Oklahoma Masons are putting in Work, I was raised an Oklahoma Mason while stationed in Germany in the early 90's...Other Jurisdiction's have a strong presence outside the United States, Maryland, Georgia etc..
What do you mean by strong presence ? Is the MWPHGL of GA operating outside the US ? And you were raised in a PHA Oklahoma lodge in Germany, did you have to demit once you got back to the states or did you hail from Oklahoma originally ?

acjohnson53

I demitted when I came back to the States. I now reside in California.. There is nothing wrong with demitting to another jurisdiction, because when you just visit you have know rights. All you are doing is keeping up on your Masonry skills. Once you demit you allow yourself to vote, and have a voice in the Lodge..As a dues card carrying member....Trust me I love the jurisdiction I hailed from, but change is good...

Ripcord22A

Site Benefactor
I demitted when I came back to the States. I now reside in California.. There is nothing wrong with demitting to another jurisdiction, because when you just visit you have know rights. All you are doing is keeping up on your Masonry skills. Once you demit you allow yourself to vote, and have a voice in the Lodge..As a dues card carrying member....Trust me I love the jurisdiction I hailed from, but change is good...

I know there are some jurisdictions that only aloow you to be amember of one lodge or one jurisdiction. I have been lucky enough that my home jurisdiction and the one that i moved to allow plural/dual memberships. Check with your Secretary of the jurisdiction you are leaving and the one you are going to and see if they allow it, if not then you have to make a choice....demit and join the new lodge or keep membership in your mother jurisdiction and just be an active visitor in your new jurisdiction.

Dontrell Stroman

Premium Member
I know there are some jurisdictions that only aloow you to be amember of one lodge or one jurisdiction. I have been lucky enough that my home jurisdiction and the one that i moved to allow plural/dual memberships. Check with your Secretary of the jurisdiction you are leaving and the one you are going to and see if they allow it, if not then you have to make a choice....demit and join the new lodge or keep membership in your mother jurisdiction and just be an active visitor in your new jurisdiction.
I don't know of any PH GL that allows plural membership.

Bloke

Premium Member
We (UGLV) allow plural membership - of any lodge under any regular jurisdiction..

Last edited:

acjohnson53

That''s one thing i know in Prince Hall Masonry you can't be a member in two different Jurisdictions at the same time...That is the purpose of the demit