My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Removing a Member

JBD

Premium Member
I was told a story that went like this: a lodge a member that was making life miserable for all the other lodge members. The Officers of the lodge drew up charges on several offenses. They called the brother in and showed him the charges. They basically told the brother, you step into this lodge again, these will be filled with GL. Here is a completed form for you to transfer your membership to another lodge or you can use the demit form. Your choice, but your not welcome here.

It sounds good, not sure it happened or its the right way to handle it but..!

But nothing brother, our responsibility is to the fraternity. If someone or someones did not do their job properly, completed or were fooled then it falls to others to clean up the mess. It happens.

I and another brother are having to deal with one now that shouldn't have happened, but the Lodge did not follow the proper procedures. Things happen regardless of the best intentions.

Wingnut

Premium Member
Now that is something I CAN agree with. That is something I have said many times to many people that complain about another member is remember that that person was investigated intiated, passed, raised, and in some instances put through the chairs. Think about that when you go out on your investigations and as they are coming through the degrees. We have the ability to protest advancement or vote on proficiency. Don't let you not doing your Masonic duty be the reason a person slip through.

That being said, that got me thinking. Could this be a test by the Supreme Architect in dealing with all kinds alike or the rumors? I think that it could bring a Lodge closer if handled properly and possibly as JBD says they seem to be discredited over time causing you to prevail in the long run. I guess the only thing damaged is your image for a time being and if you know you are right and the ones that matters who cares. Really gets me thinking....

As is often the case you made me think Brother. We let people through the chairs because they are next in line. For the sake of peace and harmony (and because thats just the way its done) there is seldom more than one person nominated for a chair, so the vote is done by show of hands. I wonder if requiring a secret ballot for all election votes (balls and cubes or written ballot) would help this situation?

Sirius

As is often the case you made me think Brother. We let people through the chairs because they are next in line. For the sake of peace and harmony (and because thats just the way its done) there is seldom more than one person nominated for a chair, so the vote is done by show of hands. I wonder if requiring a secret ballot for all election votes (balls and cubes or written ballot) would help this situation?

We simply have to many Lodges. Fewer lodges would put an end to this practice.

Wingnut

Premium Member
I just wonder however, if the ballot for and against people that were nominated was done by secret ballot if people that get pushed through the chairs that really shouldnt be would get voted into them. I know thats a mouthful and kinda confusing lol

ex: a person moves through the chairs with little effort or even attendance. Its assumed they will move the south so the new SW nominates them. As usual (and prearranged) his is the only name put in. Seldom if ever will a negative vote be case by show of hands. Peace and Harmony and all that... If it were a secret ballot even if no other person is put in would that person get elected? say more black balls than white? See what a bottle of cheap scotch and ambien can get one to come up with late at night?

Sirius

ex: a person moves through the chairs with little effort or even attendance. Its assumed they will move the south so the new SW nominates them. As usual (and prearranged) his is the only name put in. Seldom if ever will a negative vote be case by show of hands. Peace and Harmony and all that... If it were a secret ballot even if no other person is put in would that person get elected? say more black balls than white? See what a bottle of cheap scotch and ambien can get one to come up with late at night?

Here in Louisiana everyone is given a paper ballot and they write the name of the man they want for the office and put it in the box. Then the box is opened on the alter and ballots counted in front of the Lodge. If the man with the most votes accepts the position, he has the office. So, if you have someone who is not worthy, you can vote for anyone eligible. I must admit, I think it's a better system than Texas. Sorry guys.

JTM

"Just in case"
Premium Member
we found a bunch of minutes from the 1800s from Brazos Union #129. Scotty32º can tell you more about them, but apparently it was quite the norm to bring people up on charges for acting "unmasonic" back then... drinking, especially.

LRG

Premium Member
That is gross.....
I messed up with my many ways of trying to disguise. What i meant was not to fool around w/a brothers woman etc etc. Sorry

Heck ya Bill Lins for GM :===)

rhitland

Founding Member
Premium Member
No, you would be suprised if you have the gall to just ask them to leave how easily they will and if put in a well manner they might even still be your friend. Brother Bruce has a good point keep out before they get in but if they do just have about 5 or 6 guys ASK him to leave may take more than once but I bet he does.

Joey

Co-Founder
Staff Member
Sorry- no such luck. There was a resolution @ Grand Lodge a couple of years back to allow Lodges to send members packing if they couldn't get along & play well with others- I was in favor of it but it went down in flames. :(

That's bad.... There are certain instances that occur that need to be dealt with at the local level.
That resolution should be brought up again.

Bill Lins

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
That's bad.... There are certain instances that occur that need to be dealt with at the local level.
That resolution should be brought up again.

We'll need to find out when it last was presented- gotta wait 3 years to present it again.

RedTemplar

Johnny Joe Combs
Premium Member
A felony conviction will do it. A renouncement in the belief in God will do it. Striking a brother MM with malicious intent in the lobby of a lodge did it in my district.
Bragging about blackballing somebody can do it to.
Stealing from the lodge is another good way to get thrown out, too.
Properly guarding the West Gate is the best way to prevent it in the first place.

J

JEbeling

If you go back and re-read it you will find why it was voted down and has no place in Lodge.. ! It would allow some buddy system to figure out if a brother should be out of lodge.. !

we have ALWAYS had a way to remove a brother if things are bad.. ! file charges and stand up in lodge and bring charges.. ! don't hide behind some buddy system.. !

The BROTHERN are always due their day in court.. ! and both sides need to be heard.. ! This has always been that way from the begining of Masonary..?

Clint Stevens

Oops.. I didn't see that this thread was three pages long and I entered info that others had already posted.

Sorry - still getting used to the forum.

Last edited: