My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ritual Cipher

Justin D.

I moved to New Jersey and just put in for dual membership and wish to hold an office in my new lodge. When I went to our officer's practice last night a lot of my brothers had a cipher book of all of the rituals. I was never told about ciphers, nor given anything to help to figure them out. Does anyone know where I could get a ritual cipher book for New Jersey? Also is there a book to help unencrypt the ciphers in that manual?

Justin D.

Thank you so much for the response. I talked to my lodge and they sent me a digital copy of the NJ cipher ans told me we can sit down after the meeting this week to go over it.

Warrior1256

Site Benefactor
I had a Texas cipher, my lodge directed me on where I could purchase it. As far as deciphering it I just had to learn the work and then it was easy enough.
True. Here it is written in cypher in case it would fall into profane hands.

jrnteach

Our ritual book in California is also written in cypher for the same reasons. It is easy enough to read if you've progressed through the degrees because it uses the same cypher as EA, FC, and MM cyphers. I can't imagine a lodge having its ritual written in plain English so I hope that isn't happening!

jermy Bell

But you can find all of it on the internet. So I don't get why we try to keep it all secret. The passwords, obligations, the whole ten yards. We had a candidate who got it all before being initiated. So there was no mystery or surprise.

David612

But you can find all of it on the internet. So I don't get why we try to keep it all secret. The passwords, obligations, the whole ten yards. We had a candidate who got it all before being initiated. So there was no mystery or surprise.
Just because it’s on the Internet doesn’t absolve your obligations.
That said the real secrets aren’t really able to be written.

Brother JC

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
I seem to remember a Brother on another forum, I believe he was from Germany, who said his jurisdiction required the ritual to be read so it was correct every time.

Keith C

Our Ritual Books are owned by the Grand Lodge and a limited number are issued to each Lodge's WM at the beginning of his year in the East, and he decides who to assign them to. Mid November they are all turned in, checked off by the WM against the list where he issued them and turned over to the DDGM, who checks them all against the list again and then issues them to the incoming WM.

98% of the ritual is written out in plain English and the rest is in cypher.

Bloke

Premium Member
Well, if any of you visit me and are properly credentialed.. I'll be accidentally leaving a ritual book on top of your case. Opps.
(mind you... that is a bit of silliness, if you were in lodge.. I would present it to you in front of the WM or GM himself.. they'd have no problem)