My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

State residency requirements?

emanuel v alvarez

Brethren I live in the state of Arkansas however my family runs business venues that serve alcohol according to the Masonic constitution in the state of Arkansas I could be brought up on charges for this. That being said I cannot join a regular and recognized Masonic Lodge in the state of Arkansas do to that and other reasons that I will Reserve. My question to the Brethren of this post is can I join a lodge in Oklahoma or Texas without having to be a resident of that state.

I appreciate your answers thank you very much.

Bill Lins

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
Not under the Grand Lodge of Texas.

Art. 394. (431). Domicile Requirements.
Every candidate for the degrees of Masonry must have been domiciled within this Grand Jurisdiction for six months; and within the jurisdiction of a
Lodge for six months before the date of his petition
(italics mine), and be known to at least three members in good standing of a Lodge or Lodges chartered by this Grand Lodge or a Grand Lodge duly recognized by this Grand Lodge, none of whom may be either of the two required recommenders.

Warrior1256

Site Benefactor
Brethren I live in the state of Arkansas however my family runs business venues that serve alcohol according to the Masonic constitution in the state of Arkansas I could be brought up on charges for this.
Wow!!! You mean that if your family owns a legitimate business that serves alcohol that this is a Masonic offense?

Ripcord22A

Site Benefactor
ye
I just would never have thought that someone would be disqualified from membership simply for serving an alcoholic beverage!
yeah its asinine. Of the States mentioned GA has the least ridiculous rule. If I read it right the others making even being a bar tender a masonic offense. GA says that you cant own a bar or have interest in a bar and have a liquor license in your name, but you can work at a bar and if it is necessary for continued employment at said bar, get a liquor license in your name.

I kinda understand it, Bars assist people in intemperance and excess, and as masons we are supposed to avoid those things. but its still silly

Canadian Paul

As an example of how different rules can be from jurisdiction to jurisdiction - our Freemason's Hall has its own bar. Besides following the licensing laws of the province, it cannot be open during a masonic meeting. Before or after is ok.

Warrior1256

Site Benefactor
yeah its asinine.
but its still silly
Certainly agree Bro.
As an example of how different rules can be from jurisdiction to jurisdiction - our Freemason's Hall has its own bar. Besides following the licensing laws of the province, it cannot be open during a masonic meeting. Before or after is ok.
I actually see nothing wrong with this but I also don't have a problem with "dry" lodges. However, the idea of banning someone from Masonry for legally serving alcohol is really a dumb idea IMHO. Why don't we ban people for selling tobacco?

The Traveling Man

Kentucky barring bar owners sounds ridiculous. But I guess most Jurisdictions probably have a rule or two that someone would consider ridiculous..

My question is: If you are just an employee, and not an owner, why would that rule apply to you? Like other Brothers have mentioned many Lodges serve alcohol. My Scottish Rite Valley serves alcohol at every Reunion. If you haven't already, I'd contact the Grand Lodge, or local Lodge, for clarification. If the Lodge members know you and are willing to vote you in then thats all that really matters.

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor
Kentucky barring bar owners sounds ridiculous. But I guess most Jurisdictions probably have a rule or two that someone would consider ridiculous..

My question is: If you are just an employee, and not an owner, why would that rule apply to you? Like other Brothers have mentioned many Lodges serve alcohol. My Scottish Rite Valley serves alcohol at every Reunion. If you haven't already, I'd contact the Grand Lodge, or local Lodge, for clarification. If the Lodge members know you and are willing to vote you in then thats all that really matters.
Well, no, the lodge members' willingness to vote for you is not all that counts. Aside from the obligation we take regarding obedience to our GL constitution, I am specifically aware of an AR Mason who was removed under this rule.

dfreybur

Premium Member
But I guess most Jurisdictions probably have a rule or two that someone would consider ridiculous.

Exactly. To pass a rule you need a Brother passionate enough about the topic to push it through and enough support to approve it. To withdraw a rule you need the same combination but the support is generally much harder. More are interested in current topics than old topics.

Rules on alcohol by American jurisdictions were mostly passed before Prohibition and haven't been examined. There hasn't been the need to examine our rules on the topic. Being viewed as odd by Brothers outside of the Americas is normal for us.