State residency requirements?

Discussion in 'Frequently Asked Questions' started by emanuel v alvarez, Oct 16, 2016.

1. emanuel v alvarez

emanuel v alvarez Registered User

Brethren I live in the state of Arkansas however my family runs business venues that serve alcohol according to the Masonic constitution in the state of Arkansas I could be brought up on charges for this. That being said I cannot join a regular and recognized Masonic Lodge in the state of Arkansas do to that and other reasons that I will Reserve. My question to the Brethren of this post is can I join a lodge in Oklahoma or Texas without having to be a resident of that state.

I appreciate your answers thank you very much.

Glen Cook likes this.
  2. Bill Lins

Bill Lins Moderating Staff Staff Member

Not under the Grand Lodge of Texas.

Art. 394. (431). Domicile Requirements.
    Every candidate for the degrees of Masonry must have been domiciled within this Grand Jurisdiction for six months; and within the jurisdiction of a
    Lodge for six months before the date of his petition
    (italics mine), and be known to at least three members in good standing of a Lodge or Lodges chartered by this Grand Lodge or a Grand Lodge duly recognized by this Grand Lodge, none of whom may be either of the two required recommenders.

3. Warrior1256

Warrior1256 Site Benefactor

Wow!!! You mean that if your family owns a legitimate business that serves alcohol that this is a Masonic offense?

4. goomba

goomba Neo-Antient Site Benefactor

Have you looked into the Prince Hall grand lodge of your state?

5. Glen Cook

Glen Cook G A Cook Site Benefactor

GL of AR forbids tavern keepers. I understand the young man to work in the family's restaurant business. (Edited)

Last edited: Oct 17, 2016
    Warrior1256 likes this.
  6. MarkR

MarkR Premium Member

Warrior1256 likes this.
  7. Warrior1256

I just would never have thought that someone would be disqualified from membership simply for serving an alcoholic beverage!

The Traveling Man likes this.
  8. Ripcord22A

Ripcord22A Site Benefactor

ye
    yeah its asinine. Of the States mentioned GA has the least ridiculous rule. If I read it right the others making even being a bar tender a masonic offense. GA says that you cant own a bar or have interest in a bar and have a liquor license in your name, but you can work at a bar and if it is necessary for continued employment at said bar, get a liquor license in your name.

I kinda understand it, Bars assist people in intemperance and excess, and as masons we are supposed to avoid those things. but its still silly

Warrior1256 likes this.
  9. Canadian Paul

Canadian Paul Registered User

As an example of how different rules can be from jurisdiction to jurisdiction - our Freemason's Hall has its own bar. Besides following the licensing laws of the province, it cannot be open during a masonic meeting. Before or after is ok.

Raymond Walters and Warrior1256 like this.
  10. Brother JC

Brother JC Vigilant Staff Member

No, sorry, I have to disagree with this. People will go to excess with or without bars. Prohibition didn't stop anyone from drinking.

goomba likes this.
  11. Ripcord22A

Ripcord22A Site Benefactor

You are 10000% correct. I just said they assist....

Sent from my LG-H811 using My Freemasonry mobile app

12. Warrior1256

Certainly agree Bro.
    I actually see nothing wrong with this but I also don't have a problem with "dry" lodges. However, the idea of banning someone from Masonry for legally serving alcohol is really a dumb idea IMHO. Why don't we ban people for selling tobacco?

13. Bill Lins

Bill Lins Moderating Staff Staff Member

Shhhhhhhhhh!!!! Don't be giving the nannies any ideas! :eek:

Warrior1256 and Ripcord22A like this.
  14. Warrior1256

Lol....very true. It's just that I find this whole idea of banning someone for working as a bartender or owning a bar ridiculous.

Ripcord22A likes this.
  15. jermy Bell

jermy Bell Registered User

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the craft meet several times at a tavern to discuss things ?

16. Bloke

Bloke Premium Member

They did and we still do....

Warrior1256 likes this.
  17. Warrior1256

Nothing wrong with that at all! I'll be checking with some long time Brothers to see if Kentucky has any prohibitions on bar owners / tenders becoming Masons.

18. The Traveling Man

The Traveling Man Registered User

Kentucky barring bar owners sounds ridiculous. But I guess most Jurisdictions probably have a rule or two that someone would consider ridiculous..

My question is: If you are just an employee, and not an owner, why would that rule apply to you? Like other Brothers have mentioned many Lodges serve alcohol. My Scottish Rite Valley serves alcohol at every Reunion. If you haven't already, I'd contact the Grand Lodge, or local Lodge, for clarification. If the Lodge members know you and are willing to vote you in then thats all that really matters.

19. Glen Cook

Glen Cook G A Cook Site Benefactor

Well, no, the lodge members' willingness to vote for you is not all that counts. Aside from the obligation we take regarding obedience to our GL constitution, I am specifically aware of an AR Mason who was removed under this rule.

20. dfreybur

dfreybur Premium Member

Exactly. To pass a rule you need a Brother passionate enough about the topic to push it through and enough support to approve it. To withdraw a rule you need the same combination but the support is generally much harder. More are interested in current topics than old topics.

Rules on alcohol by American jurisdictions were mostly passed before Prohibition and haven't been examined. There hasn't been the need to examine our rules on the topic. Being viewed as odd by Brothers outside of the Americas is normal for us.

Share My Freemasonry