My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Widows Sons crossing state lines

pointwithinacircle2

Rapscallion
Premium Member
I have no desire to rehash the "should we or shouldn't we" debate concerning the WS. My question is simply this: I live in a state the recognizes the WS as a legitimate Masonic organization and I am now a member. What happens if I were to travel to a state where the WS is not considered a legitimate Masonic organization?

Brother JC

Moderating Staff
Staff Member
Don’t show up to lodge wearing your patch.
Recognition of a social group is purely for joining purposes, IMO, and has nothing to do with which state you ride in.

Glen Cook

G A Cook
Site Benefactor
I have no desire to rehash the "should we or shouldn't we" debate concerning the WS. My question is simply this: I live in a state the recognizes the WS as a legitimate Masonic organization and I am now a member. What happens if I were to travel to a state where the WS is not considered a legitimate Masonic organization?
Just travel through a state, as compared to relocating there? I can’t imagine any GL taking action. Simply because UT doesn’t allow WS, or UGLE doesn’t allow OES (for which we give thanks :)), doesn’t mean they impose that restriction on members of other jurisdictions. Many of the US GMs who visit UGLE Communication are in OES.

Bloke

Premium Member
Just don't tell 'em...

dfreybur

Premium Member

Don't petition for membership a WS club based in that state. Such clubs should not exist, but they probably do exist anyways.

Do attend a ride of your own club that happens to ride across state lines. It's a club chartered in a state that sponsors the club. Riding is not limited by state lines here in the US.

As to attending a blue lodge in that state, you technically don't even have to remove any WS lapel pin. After all it's a club sponsored by one of the jurisdictions you're a member of. But switching such a lapel pin to your pocket is a discreet nicety.

Warrior1256

Site Benefactor
As to attending a blue lodge in that state, you technically don't even have to remove any WS lapel pin. After all it's a club sponsored by one of the jurisdictions you're a member of. But switching such a lapel pin to your pocket is a discreet nicety.
Sound advice.

Keith C

Unless you happen to visit PA. In PA only Blue Lodge associated lapel pins should be worn in a Blue Lodge meeting, and then only ONE pin. So a S&C is OK but a WS pin, Any York or Scottish rite pin, Shriner, Sojourner etc is discouraged.

MarkR

Premium Member
Freemasonry was very much based on individual autonomy. Telling someone how many lapel pins he can wear seems to fly in the face of that freedom. Personally, I only wear one at a time, but some very fine Masons in my lodge have needed the Masonic Lapel Extender to accommodate all the pins they wore. And if I want to wear my VFW pin, an American flag pin, or a Scottish Rite pin, that should not be prohibited, either.

Warrior1256

Site Benefactor
Telling someone how many lapel pins he can wear seems to fly in the face of that freedom.
Have to respectfully disagree with you on this Brother. Limiting the number or type of lapel pin(s) is no different than requiring a coat and tie, suit, color of suit, tux or whatever the GL dress code or lodge by laws call for.

Keith C

Freemasonry was very much based on individual autonomy. Telling someone how many lapel pins he can wear seems to fly in the face of that freedom. Personally, I only wear one at a time, but some very fine Masons in my lodge have needed the Masonic Lapel Extender to accommodate all the pins they wore. And if I want to wear my VFW pin, an American flag pin, or a Scottish Rite pin, that should not be prohibited, either.

I would ask you, what is the purpose of wearing all of these pins in a Blue Lodge Meeting? Most of the "pin lovers" I have encountered treat them like badges of honor. The philosophy of only having one blue lodge related pin, is to maintain the principle of "Meeting on the Level." The same reason we have a dress code, so that outward appearance doesn't denote station in life. The principle of Meeting on the Level is far more important in a Masonic setting than "individual autonomy."

If individual autonomy, were a principle on which Freemasonry was based, we wouldn't have an essential elected dictatorship as the basis of how the lodge operates. You wouldn't have dress codes, require permission to speak in Lodge, permission to enter and leave the lodge, etc.

Companion Joe

Premium Member
I have a pretty set rotation of pins, and I only ever wear one at a time* not for Masonic reasons but because I'm sort of particular about the way I dress.
Non-Masonic function - Plain S&C pin so there won't be any doubt among the general public.
Blue Lodge events not at my lodge and 3rd Degrees at my lodge - PM pin.
Anything else - KYCH or RCC (just depending on what I feel like).
Anything YRC related - YRC pin.

*The only time I wear more than one is on my red Chapter coat. I don't like doing it, but they are all important. Left - KYCH and RCC paired together. Right - A special recognition pin by the Grand Chapter.

Warrior1256

Site Benefactor
I’d like to be a fly on the wall when someone either friend or family locates and goes through my pin & coin collection... A conversation starter, years post mortem.
Yeah, I have a bunch of them but only wear one or two at a time.
Non-Masonic function - Plain S&C pin so there won't be any doubt among the general public.
Blue Lodge events not at my lodge and 3rd Degrees at my lodge - PM pin.
Anything else - KYCH or RCC (just depending on what I feel like).
Anything YRC related - YRC pin.

*The only time I wear more than one is on my red Chapter coat. I don't like doing it, but they are all important. Left - KYCH and RCC paired together. Right - A special recognition pin by the Grand Chapter.
Good plan!

Companion Joe

Premium Member
I usually wear my KYCH jewel to any degree work whether at my lodge or visiting. In which case, I don't wear a KYCH lapel pin. I don't wear it (most of the time) to stated meetings.

chrmc

If one were to be cheeky one could comment that they are only important because you want the recognition and show to others that you've obtained that honor. No one makes you put them on if you don't like it.

I totally get it, and most of us probably still struggle with the same thing, but if we look at it from a Masonic perspective it's a classic sign of the Ego still talking that hasn't been overcome.