Freemason Lodges in Prison ??

Discussion in 'General Freemasonry Discussion' started by Travelling Man91, Oct 27, 2015.

1. Levelhead

Levelhead Premium Member

Here is a couple of thoughts that I had in my mind while driving today thinking about this thread.
    OK for one it's hard to meet in secret so if they were to meet in a room and someone were to be outside watching the door I doubt it would be an inmate it would have to be a mason who was also one of the corrections officer. Unless they had a mason who was a correction officer in the room with them because in jail it is hard to be in a locked room unsupervised with that many people for safety purposes.

and I doubt they would have a cop or a correction officer stay in the room who is not a regular Mason as they would be violating your obligations being clandestine or not.

I also do see how they could meet in a cell with just enough members they would have to be very quiet though as a have meetings and to keep off eavesdroppers.

This is also with the understanding that all gathered in the room running these in prison lodges were actually at one time part of a regular lodge who understand the rules and regulations and their obligations.

Sent from Mossy Oak Swamp Bottom

Travelling Man91 likes this.
  2. Glen Cook

Glen Cook G A Cook Site Benefactor

If a truthful story, I am sure he was no longer a 33.

3. Warrior1256

Warrior1256 Site Benefactor

I didn't mean to be arguementive brother. Just stated the fact that in my 29 year career I had never heard of prison Masons.

4. cemab4y

cemab4y Premium Member

I read a story some years ago about a group of P.O.W.s who set up a square and compasses club in a german prison camp during WW2. (Keep in mind that just being a Freemason would get you sent to a concentration camp. All freemasonry was illegal in Nazi Germany).

The men would hold meetings, and station a couple of "tylers" outside. (This was NOT a working lodge, just a S&C Club). One day the club was meeting. The tyler saw a German guard coming near. The tyler rapped on the door three times, signaling the club to cease the meeting).

The German guard heard the raps, and without breaking his stride, he made the sign of the EA and walked away.

5. Levelhead

Levelhead Premium Member

Thats where the "Forget me not" flower came into play.

Warrior1256 likes this.
  6. Glen Cook

Afraid the forget me not is a myth

7. cemab4y

cemab4y Premium Member

I do not necessarily believe every thing I see on the 'net. Here is the story of the forget me not

Sammcd and mrm113 like this.
  8. Glen Cook

9. Marc N

Marc N Registered User

Unless it's Guantanamo. That's not in anyone's jurisdiction in any sense of the word. Clandiness or clandinicity is surely a matter of perspective. I could see that masonry may appeal to prisoners in the same way that religion would. Structure, hope, friendship. It might be a gang but so might a Bible study by that logic. There is more to be teased out here by examine the concepts of what is irregular and what is simply illicit. I do know masons that have been to prison, been duly masonically punished, but remained active Freemasons after. We have our own principles of redemption, mercy and forgiveness to apply. The one I am thinking of in one of my lodges was for tax evasion, was suspended masonically for 5 years, but welcomed back, not necessarily by everyone but it was before my time. You can get into some tricky technical and/or strict liability offences, particarly around things like sales tax for a business, as I think was the case here. Being held accountable by the law does not in all cases mean there was moral culpability. In some ways I hope there are groups of people following Masonic principles in prison. If you think of it as s fresh start, which is after all one of the points of punishment, then I don't see why say someone who was a criminal in their youth, could not become a mason (genuinely, morally, and with all sincerity) later on in life. We gave up the ideas that criminality is hereditary or brands you for life some time ago. Most of us have broken the criminal law by speeding; is the only thing that makes us better that we didn't get caught? Or that so many people do it, there wouldn't be any masons left if all the speeders got thrown out? When we do speed in a car, say in a suburban street, it's only moral luck that means one person kills someone in an accident and another doesn't. The culpability is the same.

JamestheJust likes this.
  10. Levelhead

Levelhead Premium Member

Did i say it was?

11. Ripcord22A

Ripcord22A Site Benefactor

No he's telling you it is a myth

Glen Cook likes this.
  12. Travelling Man91

Travelling Man91 Registered User

I didn't take it as argumentative brother. Hopefully I didn't come off as trying to argue with you

Warrior1256 likes this.
  13. cemab4y

cemab4y Premium Member

The legend of the forget-me-not is part myth, part reality. (Keep in mind that I have attended lodges in Paris, France with men who lived in France during the Nazi occupation, I have also visited a German-speaking lodge in Paris, with men who served in the German army. )

I have never met a German mason who ever heard of the FMN. Freemasonry is mentioned three times in "Mein Kampf", and Heinrich Himmler's first job in the Nazi party, was keeping track of various freemasons in the Munich area.

Nevertheless, the Grand Lodge of Bavaria did adopt the FMN when the GL was reestablished.

The national sojourners organization has "unofficially" adopted the FMN pin, and they sell the pins as a fund-raiser, with a card that has the "legend" of the FMN printed on it.

My take is that a lot of Masons would like to believe that many Masons in Nazi-occupied Europe wore a flower in the lapel. It makes a nice story and legend.

14. memphisrite

memphisrite Registered User

Well, there was a Lodge in a nazi prison camp. They obviously were not chartered by any grand Lodge. All its members were all allied forces POW's and they were covered during their meetings by Catholic priests. So it doesn't sound unlikely to find a Lodge in a prison

15. SeeKer.mm

SeeKer.mm Premium Member

I know this was probably not meant to be funny but.... Lol!

16. SeeKer.mm

SeeKer.mm Premium Member

Sorry meant to quote this in my last post

17. Ressam

Ressam Registered User

Agreed.
    People should not be judged by another people.
    It's a big, big fraud. It's iniquity. It's just a lie.
    It's "the system" with the possibility when -- one is "imprisoned", and the other one is "acquitted", when both have "broken" the law!
    Christ told about that, long time ago(Matthew 7:1-2): [Judge not, that ye be not judged. For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again].

18. Travelling Man91

Travelling Man91 Registered User

Why would he give a sign ? I thought you could only give a sign in a tyled lodge ? Lol

19. Brother JC

Brother JC Vigilant Staff Member

I've never heard that you can only give a Sign in lodge. Like a Token, it's meant to be able to know a Brother Mason, something you don't need in a tyled lodge.

Classical and Warrior1256 like this.
  20. cemab4y

cemab4y Premium Member

You may most certainly give one (or more) of the signs, anytime you think it is appropriate. If you are seeking a Mason, you may use any of the tokens, to locate a fellow brother of the Craft.

Warrior1256 likes this.

Share My Freemasonry