Lodge Officer Duties - Junior Warden

Discussion in 'Officers of the Lodge' started by Blake Bowden, Nov 20, 2014.

1. Blake Bowden

Blake Bowden Administrator Staff Member

His Jewel of Office is the Plumb,... which is a stonemason's instrument used for ascertaining the alignment of a vertical surface. It symbolizes upright behavior among Masons.

The Junior Warden of a Masonic Lodge is the third in command of the Lodge. The Junior Warden sits in the South (symbolic of the position of the sun at midday) and is responsible for the Brethren while the Lodge is at ease or refreshment. His position is similar to a Second Vice-President. The Junior Warden, too, may open the lodge if the Master or Senior is unable to attend the meeting.

It is the Junior Warden's duty to arrange meals for the lodge, and, typically, the 2 Stewards act as his assistants in this responsibility. Symbolically, it is also his duty to make certain that the members do not convert their refreshment into intemperance or excess. This is a holdover from earlier days, which still remains as part of the Junior Warden's job description, even though in most U.S. jurisdictions, alcohol is barred from the lodge.
    Which Officers Can Open the Lodge? The Master, the Senior Warden, the Junior Warden or a Past Master.

2. MBC

MBC Twice Registered User Premium Member

Have a minor addition to this thread,
    JW in the UGLE cannot preside the lodge nor the SW, only Installed Masters can sit in the east to preside the lodge. However we treat it as a rank because you need to become a Warden for a year before you installed to the chair of WM, also Wardens have some official duties to do in the GL, PGL or other lodges.
    Also, JW do not required to arrange meals for the lodge in here, we normally have professional catering and Stewards or anyone can help to be Wine Stewards to pour wine for the brethren and the guests. And we are allowed to have alcohol in the Festive Board, except it's a dry lodge/temperance lodge.
    And it is interesting to note that some of our brethren refuse to go to dry lodge because they can't have alcohol.

flttrainer and Warrior1256 like this.
  3. Ripcord22A

Ripcord22A Site Benefactor

Interesting differences! So i have a question...in america you have to have permission from GL to not open ur lodge on its stated night, if the master gets sick an hr before the meeting your not getting that permission in time that's y the Wardens can step up....what would you do in England?

4. MBC

IPM will take the chair first, then any senior PMs of the lodge can take it.

5. Pscyclepath

Pscyclepath Premium Member

A definite difference from the practice here in the U.S. ... Here (at least in AR) only the Master, SW, or JW may open the lodge. PMs may open only if one of the three principal officers is physically present but unable to open or close. The only exception is for opening for the purpose of conducting a funeral, if specifically authorized by the Master.

Beholder likes this.
  6. MBC

Actually in here, SW and JW are just ceremonial principal officers with no powers in the lodge. However the lodge is not actually ruled by the WM, it's actually ruled by the PMs. The PMs almost decide everything for the lodge and the WM is just sitting on the chair. I would say WM is only the chairman in the lodge room for the meeting and ceremonial head of the lodge.
    Also in UGLE, only 2 or 3 offices are elected which are WM, Treasurer and Tyler(sometimes). And according to the Book of Constitutions, WM has his own power to appoint other officers. However as the WM is just the ceremonial head of the lodge, the officer list is normally prepared by the PMs and the WM follows.

7. Ripcord22A

Wow.....that's crazy! Dont say that too loud here in the US...PMs already try to run schit if they hear that the UGLE rolls that way they may start trying to as well...lol

8. MBC

I'm not sure is this the situations within whole UGLE but at least in my city and London are similar to this style.
    It seems that you are the blessed one when you sit on the chair in America.

Warrior1256 likes this.
  9. Ripcord22A

Yes in America east rules the lodge. As i believe it was dfreybur once saide here, " it takes balls to gavel a brother down, brass balls to do so to a PM and depleted uranium balls to gavel down a PGM even they get out of order in open lodge"

MBC, Levelhead and dfreybur like this.
  10. Roy Vance

Roy Vance Certified Premium Member

Yep! He pretty much nailed it there. I certainly hope I never have to gavel down a Brother, but, as WM, if it becomes nessecary, I will.

11. dfreybur

dfreybur Premium Member

Be sure to kill them with kindness. Also be careful that topics that might get heated are moved later on the agenda.

I'm sorry to have to shut you down my Brother but the hour is late and several Brothers are looking at their watches.

I'm sorry I can't call on any other brother but this discussion has gotten heated and we don't seem to be approaching any agreement. We will have to resume this discussion at another meeting.

12. Beholder

Beholder Registered User

13. Warrior1256

Warrior1256 Site Benefactor

Very interesting.

14. Canadian Paul

Canadian Paul Registered User

When invested at the Installation the Junior Warden is informed that he is in charge of the lodge whenever it is closed or 'at Refreshment' and this is interpreted to mean he is responsible for any light refreshments, etc. before or after ameeting, although, of course, he can delegate this to the Stewards, or anyone else willing to do it.

15. Warrior1256

Will be going into the JW chair 07 December. Looking forward to it.

Classical and MBC like this.
  16. mrpierce17

mrpierce17 KOP Council director / Lodge instructor Premium Member

I was elected JW tonight for the incoming year 2016

Flatworlder, Bill Lins, MBC and 3 others like this.
  17. Warrior1256

Congratulations brother!

mrpierce17 likes this.
  18. Bloke

Bloke Premium Member

Congratulations !

19. Warrior1256

Yeah, I've heard it said that some PMs "have trouble putting the gavel down". Luckily, that is not a problem in the two lodges that I belong to. The PMs in my mother lodge have been very gracious to me since I joined. Three nights ago I assumed the chair of JW and they are still helping me with their advise.

Bill Lins likes this.
  20. mrpierce17

mrpierce17 KOP Council director / Lodge instructor Premium Member

cool I can see how that fits in with the JW duties says it every meeting

Share My Freemasonry