My Freemasonry | Freemason Information and Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lodge Officer Duties - Junior Warden

Blake Bowden

Administrator
Staff Member
His Jewel of Office is the Plumb,... which is a stonemason's instrument used for ascertaining the alignment of a vertical surface. It symbolizes upright behavior among Masons.

The Junior Warden of a Masonic Lodge is the third in command of the Lodge. The Junior Warden sits in the South (symbolic of the position of the sun at midday) and is responsible for the Brethren while the Lodge is at ease or refreshment. His position is similar to a Second Vice-President. The Junior Warden, too, may open the lodge if the Master or Senior is unable to attend the meeting.

It is the Junior Warden's duty to arrange meals for the lodge, and, typically, the 2 Stewards act as his assistants in this responsibility. Symbolically, it is also his duty to make certain that the members do not convert their refreshment into intemperance or excess. This is a holdover from earlier days, which still remains as part of the Junior Warden's job description, even though in most U.S. jurisdictions, alcohol is barred from the lodge.
Which Officers Can Open the Lodge? The Master, the Senior Warden, the Junior Warden or a Past Master.

MBC

Twice Registered User
Premium Member
Have a minor addition to this thread,
JW in the UGLE cannot preside the lodge nor the SW, only Installed Masters can sit in the east to preside the lodge. However we treat it as a rank because you need to become a Warden for a year before you installed to the chair of WM, also Wardens have some official duties to do in the GL, PGL or other lodges.
Also, JW do not required to arrange meals for the lodge in here, we normally have professional catering and Stewards or anyone can help to be Wine Stewards to pour wine for the brethren and the guests. And we are allowed to have alcohol in the Festive Board, except it's a dry lodge/temperance lodge.
And it is interesting to note that some of our brethren refuse to go to dry lodge because they can't have alcohol.

Ripcord22A

Site Benefactor
Interesting differences! So i have a question...in america you have to have permission from GL to not open ur lodge on its stated night, if the master gets sick an hr before the meeting your not getting that permission in time that's y the Wardens can step up....what would you do in England?

MBC

Twice Registered User
Premium Member
IPM will take the chair first, then any senior PMs of the lodge can take it.

Pscyclepath

Premium Member
A definite difference from the practice here in the U.S. ... Here (at least in AR) only the Master, SW, or JW may open the lodge. PMs may open only if one of the three principal officers is physically present but unable to open or close. The only exception is for opening for the purpose of conducting a funeral, if specifically authorized by the Master.

MBC

Twice Registered User
Premium Member
Actually in here, SW and JW are just ceremonial principal officers with no powers in the lodge. However the lodge is not actually ruled by the WM, it's actually ruled by the PMs. The PMs almost decide everything for the lodge and the WM is just sitting on the chair. I would say WM is only the chairman in the lodge room for the meeting and ceremonial head of the lodge.
Also in UGLE, only 2 or 3 offices are elected which are WM, Treasurer and Tyler(sometimes). And according to the Book of Constitutions, WM has his own power to appoint other officers. However as the WM is just the ceremonial head of the lodge, the officer list is normally prepared by the PMs and the WM follows.

MBC

Twice Registered User
Premium Member
I'm not sure is this the situations within whole UGLE but at least in my city and London are similar to this style.
It seems that you are the blessed one when you sit on the chair in America.

Roy Vance

Certified
Premium Member
Yes in America east rules the lodge. As i believe it was dfreybur once saide here, " it takes balls to gavel a brother down, brass balls to do so to a PM and depleted uranium balls to gavel down a PGM even they get out of order in open lodge"
Yep! He pretty much nailed it there. I certainly hope I never have to gavel down a Brother, but, as WM, if it becomes nessecary, I will.

dfreybur

Premium Member
I certainly hope I never have to gavel down a Brother, but, as WM, if it becomes nessecary, I will.

Be sure to kill them with kindness. Also be careful that topics that might get heated are moved later on the agenda.

I'm sorry to have to shut you down my Brother but the hour is late and several Brothers are looking at their watches.

I'm sorry I can't call on any other brother but this discussion has gotten heated and we don't seem to be approaching any agreement. We will have to resume this discussion at another meeting.

Warrior1256

Site Benefactor
Have a minor addition to this thread,
JW in the UGLE cannot preside the lodge nor the SW, only Installed Masters can sit in the east to preside the lodge. However we treat it as a rank because you need to become a Warden for a year before you installed to the chair of WM, also Wardens have some official duties to do in the GL, PGL or other lodges.
Also, JW do not required to arrange meals for the lodge in here, we normally have professional catering and Stewards or anyone can help to be Wine Stewards to pour wine for the brethren and the guests. And we are allowed to have alcohol in the Festive Board, except it's a dry lodge/temperance lodge.
And it is interesting to note that some of our brethren refuse to go to dry lodge because they can't have alcohol.
Very interesting.

Canadian Paul

When invested at the Installation the Junior Warden is informed that he is in charge of the lodge whenever it is closed or 'at Refreshment' and this is interpreted to mean he is responsible for any light refreshments, etc. before or after ameeting, although, of course, he can delegate this to the Stewards, or anyone else willing to do it.

Warrior1256

Site Benefactor
Wow.....that's crazy! Dont say that too loud here in the US...PMs already try to run schit if they hear that the UGLE rolls that way they may start trying to as well...lol
Yeah, I've heard it said that some PMs "have trouble putting the gavel down". Luckily, that is not a problem in the two lodges that I belong to. The PMs in my mother lodge have been very gracious to me since I joined. Three nights ago I assumed the chair of JW and they are still helping me with their advise.

mrpierce17

KOP Council director / Lodge instructor
Premium Member
When invested at the Installation the Junior Warden is informed that he is in charge of the lodge whenever it is closed or 'at Refreshment' and this is interpreted to mean he is responsible for any light refreshments, etc. before or after ameeting, although, of course, he can delegate this to the Stewards, or anyone else willing to do it.
cool I can see how that fits in with the JW duties says it every meeting