racism question

Discussion in 'Prince Hall Freemasonry' started by freemasonpha, Oct 21, 2017.

1. Brother JC

Brother JC Vigilant Staff Member

No, it’s not bad, but you don’t need to wipe out or absorb another grand lodge to make it happen. My NM lodge has members from all over the racial and cultural spectrum, and they have a excellent relationship with another GL within the jurisdiction. No labels need be applied.

Zack, Bloke, Ripcord22A and 3 others like this.
  2. CLewey44

CLewey44 Registered User

My point is impossible to convey here...lets just never change this divide. ...I fold....

3. AndreAshlar

AndreAshlar Registered User

I believe your point is being conveyed. I just don't agree with it.

Sent from my SM-G930T using My Freemasonry mobile app

Bloke likes this.
  4. SteveH

SteveH Registered User

I have never been to a Prince Hall lodge, so I can't speak on that, but being a mason in Tennessee I can tell you that racism is alive in our state. I have been to several lodges in my area and I have yet to see a black man. Damn shame in my opinion, but it is true. We don't say it openly, but it can't be an accident that all our lodges in my part of the state are all white.

AndreAshlar likes this.
  5. MarkR

MarkR Premium Member

Have any black men petitioned?

6. David612

David612 Registered User

Are there any Prince Hall lodges in the area?
    Making an effort to build a relationship and establishing a new culture isn’t going to happen by itself

7. Warrior1256

Warrior1256 Site Benefactor

Quite right.

8. Travelling Man91

Travelling Man91 Registered User

As a TN PHA mason, I can say yes blacks have petitioned and were black balled or "strongly" urged to find a PHA lodge. I know this because some of these gentleman are now brothers of mine.

Warrior1256 likes this.
  9. acjohnson53

acjohnson53 Registered User

I highly agree, in my time in masonry PHA is well diverse and welcome all men regardless of their race. As long as he can ride that goat for 8 seconds. (LOL) Matter of fact the United Supreme Counsel is in Memphis, TN. I know a few Brothers in the Nashville(Cashville) area. There is strength in Numbers. the more Lodges except Men for who they are the longer Freemasonry will live.

Warrior1256 likes this.
  10. Warrior1256

Agreed!

11. Travelling Man91

Travelling Man91 Registered User

We always discuss blacks not being allowed in white lodges for obvious reasons, but I want to give kudos to the white brethren that leave or help make a change in their bigoted Lodge or Grand Lodge. These brother's dont get enough credit.

CLewey44, tldubb, Bloke and 1 other person like this.
  12. Warrior1256

Two years ago the GL of Kentucky and the PHGL of Kentucky extended visitation privileges to each other. It was a great day for Kentucky Freemasonry!

tldubb and Travelling Man91 like this.
  13. David612

David612 Registered User

I’m in the dark about this as I’m not in the US, Prince Hall lodges are seen as regular, and have been for quite some time, yes?

14. LK600

LK600 Premium Member

In most jurisdictions, yes, but not all in both directions (both sides of the Atlantic)

on edit... To be clear, I have very strong feelings in favor of recognition.

Warrior1256 likes this.
  15. David612

David612 Registered User

It’s clearly my own personal biases but it just strikes me as ridiculous that this is even a discussion, if there isn’t an active effort to unify recognition there definitely should be, but again as I haven’t grown up in the culture it’s clearly not something I grasp fully

bupton52 and LK600 like this.
  16. Warrior1256

Same here!

17. Bloke

Bloke Premium Member

As Australians, we just don't get this Prince Hall Freemasonry thing at first. We also don't get the scale of irregularity in the USA (and other places). Prince Hall GLs will be recognised by your GL David.

David612 likes this.
  18. AndreAshlar

AndreAshlar Registered User

If you understand the history of slavery and racism in the U.S. as well as the resolve of the victims of that oppression, it's easy to grasp how the environment was fertile ground for the birth of Prince Hall Freemasonry.

Sent from my SM-G930T using My Freemasonry mobile app

tldubb likes this.
  19. David612

David612 Registered User

The thing is it’s one thing to theoretically understand the history of slavery but an entirely different thing to have lived in country to have it in living memory and to have it as part of day to day life.

Bloke likes this.
  20. Bloke

Bloke Premium Member

Indeed. But it was still a surprise to discover Freemasonry did not stand aside from that, but as a institution of society, it makes sense that the Freemasons who comprised those lodges were racist -but even typing that feels wrong. I always point out, that according to the tradition history, the only reason Prince Hall Freemasonry was born was because a group of White Irish Freemasons initiated Prince Hall and his companions because they were not racist like local American Freemasons were,. or if those Irish Freemasons were racist, the made their passions and prejudices coincide with the just line of their conduct.

David612 and AndreAshlar like this.

Share My Freemasonry