racism question

Discussion in 'Prince Hall Freemasonry' started by freemasonpha, Oct 21, 2017.

1. AndreAshlar

AndreAshlar Registered User

Freemasonry aspires to lofty ideas but my experience is that it's simply a microcosm of society

Sent from my SM-G930T using My Freemasonry mobile app

David612 likes this.
  2. David612

David612 Registered User

I tend to agree, but to a slightly higher median overall.

AndreAshlar likes this.
  3. Bro. Stewart P.M.

Bro. Stewart P.M. Lead Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

I think the better thing to promote here is the fact that good things are happening around Freemasonry in the midst of a much divided Nation.

We are busy building bridges internally as equals while the rest of the general population is trying desperately to prove each other the lessor.

4. AndreAshlar

I think its always best to "promote" truth especially as masons. It may be prudent to shy away from only speaking comfortable truths while downplaying the ugly ones.

5. Bro. Stewart P.M.

Equal parts sugar to salt my Brother. Carry on.

6. David612

David612 Registered User

I think it’s within our ability to do away with these sort of divisions within our fraternity while preserving the history and uniqueness of our local differences.

7. AndreAshlar

Absolutely. That's the goal. Being ever mindful that we learn and progress from analyzing the truths of history.

8. David612

David612 Registered User

Agreed, in Aus we are fortunate to have very diverse lodges and I truely believe this to be our biggest strength, the network of brothers and diversity of perspective given from those of varying cultures is truly a gift not to be underestimated.
    As masonry struggles to redefine itself and stay relevant I find points like this to be often overlooked and invaluable.

Bloke and AndreAshlar like this.
  9. AndreAshlar

I almost took that dismissive "carry on" personal my Brother but I'm looking for the best in you and not the worst PM.

Bro. Stewart P.M. likes this.
  10. AndreAshlar

You're right on point my Brother

11. AndreAshlar

Excellent observation.

12. Bro. Stewart P.M.

Exactly. Spot on. That is exactly the way it should be.

Make a new and much brighter future for all of us.

The difficulty of carrying on conversation via message or text with anyone is the pure lack of emotion that is carried via real speech. Much is left to the individuals own interpretation. A statement or sentence can carry entirely different meaning, depending upon emotion involved there in.

As a moderator, it is my charge to stay as indifferent as possible yet at the same time engage the audience while making every attempt to remove all emotion on my end. In part you are correct. I meant, for you to carry on with the ongoing conversation.

Have a great evening, Brother. No worries.

AndreAshlar likes this.
  13. LK600

LK600 Premium Member

Then we must not be talking about the United States, because it hasn't taken place in living memory. Racism, now thats a different story. Beyond that, slavery has taken place on every continent on the planet along with most countries. ;)

14. AndreAshlar

Thanks for clarity my Brother. I appreciate that. Have a great evening too.

15. David612

David612 Registered User

True, I’ve mistyped.
    Though it’s not far removed and while the abolishment of slavery didn’t really stop it did it.

LK600 likes this.
  16. LK600

LK600 Premium Member

No, I would agree with you. Slavery may have ended in 1865, but the next 100 plus years has been filled with abuses to numerous to count.

17. David612

David612 Registered User

True, fortunately we have progressed beyond this (well for the most part anyway) but the notion that this institutional racism exists within the our supposedly enlightened organisation makes my skin crawl.
    Honestly I’d like to see recognition pulled from places where this continues if it can’t be rectified in short order.

Travelling Man91 likes this.
  18. LK600

LK600 Premium Member

Yes, we have progressed beyond that. I would wager, for the majority of Caucasian (God I hate that word) and African Americans, we have moved past racism. But there still remains those on both sides continuing to cause division and shame.

19. David612

David612 Registered User

Quite right, it’s hard for me to even grasp as it’s such a unique bit of history that the rest of the world dosnt understand.
    When I was in DC being the only white folk on the bus there was defiantly some tension, however once we opened our mouths and it became obvious we wherent local that subsided quickly.

20. LK600

LK600 Premium Member

My family came to the United States in 1910(ish). One side came from Sicily, the other from Ireland. I could claim I have no dog in this fight but, this would be not true. I never understood hating on a people because of skin tone. Personally, I LOVE exploring other people's cultures (especially the foods! I am a Mason after all lol).

majickmann, acjohnson53 and David612 like this.

Share My Freemasonry